Kubota Hydraulcs Couplers.

/ Kubota Hydraulcs Couplers. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
I tried to borrow a friend's grapple but it wouldn't connect to my tractor's 3rd function. He has a large (100hp?) Kubota and I have a L5740 (58hp?).

Weird thing is that his couplings won't go on mine because they are too small.

Trouble started when we realized that my 3rd function lines BOTH have male connections while my 4 in 1 bucket lines are both female. Is that normal? I suspect it was done that way so that I could make the buttons work whatever way I wanted. Perhaps I'll never know.

My friend simply replaced one of his grapple's lines with another female and then we discovered that they wouldn't go onto my male connections. Best I could measure with a tape, the female openings on my connectors are 1" while my friend's are 15/16".

I went to the Kubota dealer today (with photos of my couplings) and showed them that the numbers say "12NPTM" and "NPTF-12F". They brought out couplings and said "These are the ones you have". They are part numbers 75668-66320 (female) and 75668-66220 (male). I asked "What size are they" and was told there is only a part number.

I'm now shopping for a grapple and I don't know what to specify for connections. I see that some say they are provided with 1/2" or 3/8" but I don't know what I've got.

I fear that I've got some proprietary, Kubota, fittings and I should purchase a set because, whatever I buy, I'm going to have to change.

Anyone else ever run into this?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

/ Kubota Hydraulcs Couplers.
His IMG_3043.jpg

MineIMG_3042.jpg

My Male connectionIMG_3039.jpg

An attempt to attach his to mine (won't go farther)IMG_3044.jpg

/ Kubota Hydraulcs Couplers. #4  
There should be numbers and letters on the couplers and can be crossed to other manufacturers.

There should be numbers and letters on the couplers and can be crossed to other manufacturers.

That's what I thought, too. I spent a while searching the internet but got no answer.

All of a sudden I thought: "Try posting it on TBN, I can't be the only one that's run into this problem".

Thanks. I had looked at that link but, comparing the drawings to my coupler, I don't think any of them match. My coupler has a much more pronounced bevel on the face than any of those. I compare it to the length of the plunger.

I do appreciate the assistance though.

/ Kubota Hydraulcs Couplers. #9  
Thanks. I had looked at that link but, comparing the drawings to my coupler, I don't think any of them match. My coupler has a much more pronounced bevel on the face than any of those. I compare it to the length of the plunger.

I do appreciate the assistance though.

I looked at your photos, and except for the pronounced bevel, your male coupler appears to be a 1/2" ISO 7241-1 Series B. This is also consistent with the female opening being approximately 1" in diameter, as that matches the widest part of the male nipple that actually fits into the female.

Most likely, the equipment you borrowed has female couplers that are ISO 7241-1 Series A.

In the 1/2" body size only, this interchanges with ISO 5657 (Pioneer 4000 Series, aka "Ag Couplers"), which is exactly what one would expect to find on most farm tractors. The widest part of the male nipple is about 0.93 or 15/16 of an inch.

Please note that when I reference the widest part of the male coupler, I'm speaking only of the part that fits into the female. Any part of it that does not insert into the female may vary from one company to another, and so is not a reliable place to measure.

Get yourself some 1/2" Ag nipples, or 1/2" ISO 7241-1 Series A, and I think they will mate up with your friend's grapple.

ISO 5675 Agricultural Hydraulic Quick Couplers

Well, thank you, very much. That's what I love about this site. Lots of experience.

A few more questions for the bunch:

When changing the couplings I know I'll lose some fluid. If I choose to change the couplings on my tractor, rather than on my friend's grapple and, assuming I'm smart enough to have the tractor off and work the buttons/levers and tap the ball to relieve the pressure:

1 - Should I expect a lot of oil to come out of the pipes once I get the coupling off? If so, should I try to stop any of it or just "move with a purpose"?

2 - Do I need to use teflon tape (like you use for plumbing) on the threads before screwing the coupling back on?

Anything I need to know about to prevent me from making a serious rookie mistake? It all seems simple enough. That's usually when I get into trouble.

Thanks to all.