Kubota Interim Tier IV Motor Oils

/ Kubota Interim Tier IV Motor Oils #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
I've been meaning to ask for years now...

What engine oil do you run in your Kubota with the EGR equipped Tier IV Interim engine? For the M series, that would be over 50 hp EGR equipped engines built between approximently 2007 and 2014. Examples are: M59, MX5100, M6040, M7040...plus others. I think some of the L series are in there too.

The reason I ask is that my M59 operator's manual has bold warnings to only use CI-4 oils because they are specifically formulated for EGR equipped engines. The manual specifically says not to use CF, CG, CH, and CJ oils.
They go on to say that the CJ oil is for DPF type engines and cannot be used in this tractor.

CI-4 oil was always hard to find. So that doesn't leave much to choose from. And leaves me wondering why the maintenance manual made that requirement? Anyone know? Was it lubricity or emissions reasons?

I've not heard of any problems regardless of what oil is used. Has anyone? What engine oil do you run in your 2007 to 2014 Kubota?

rScotty

/ Kubota Interim Tier IV Motor Oils #2  
Good question and would love to know for sure cause I own a 2013 M59 pre tier-4.

I’m not sure kubota’s reasoning unless their emission testing didn’t include newer (better?) oil. There was some issues from low sulphur fuel implementation and CI-4 and CI-4 Plus oils as I recall. Not all companies appreciate or compete with the ever changing compliance issues of the USA EPA. Turbo Diesel Register magazine had several good articles at the time.

It is my novice understanding that new and improved oil classifications must meet or exceed the previous. Rotella T6, CK-4 is my oil of choice for most all farm equipment and trucks.

Hope you find a good answer.

/ Kubota Interim Tier IV Motor Oils #3  
It's been hashed out here and on other forums. Since the manuals were printed Kubota has updated their recommendations.
Double asterisks on this chart refer to this change.

I use Rotella T6 0W40 in my M7040.

Kubota Fluids Chart

/ Kubota Interim Tier IV Motor Oils #4  
I have a 2009 pre-tier 4 Kubota M6040. From my Op Manual - -
- Use engine oil with API classification CD, CE or CF
- temp ranges - from above 77F to below 32F - 10W-30 or 15W-40
- they speak of using CF-4 and CG-4 with low sulfur diesel - if used with high sulfur diesel - oil change at more frequent interval.

I use Shell Rotella T4 15W-40. Far exceeds these 12 year old requirements.

/ Kubota Interim Tier IV Motor Oils
It's been hashed out here and on other forums. Since the manuals were printed Kubota has updated their recommendations.
Double asterisks on this chart refer to this change.

I use Rotella T6 0W40 in my M7040.

Kubota Fluids Chart

Thanks for the chart; I haven't seen that chart before. Where did you get it? It looks official.

As for being hashed out before, I agree when the subject is oil - but I hoped that what we could talk about was the specifics of classes of oil to be used with the Interim Tier IV emissions systems you and I both have.... which means an external EGR and exhaust gas cooler. So I was glad to see EGR on that chart.

I'm also a novice about oil technology, but it was my understanding that the initial furor about what oil to use with EGR systems had to do with soot in the oil. Does anyone know if that is true?

As I think I understand it.... Interim Tier IV combined retarded injection timing with EGR components to result in less NOx but with the EGR to handle the resulting increase in soot.
And I have read that CI and CJ oils differed in how their additives handled the soot in the oil. One dispersed soot within the oil & the other allowed soot to precipitate into the sump.

As with everything, I'd like to understand more about what I am doing and why.

BTW, I run Rotella 15w-40 (CJ-4,CI-4+,CI4,CH4,CG-4,CF-4) in our M59.
rScotty

Good question and would love to know for sure cause I own a 2013 M59 pre tier-4.

I’m not sure kubota’s reasoning unless their emission testing didn’t include newer (better?) oil. There was some issues from low sulphur fuel implementation and CI-4 and CI-4 Plus oils as I recall. Not all companies appreciate or compete with the ever changing compliance issues of the USA EPA. Turbo Diesel Register magazine had several good articles at the time.

It is my novice understanding that new and improved oil classifications must meet or exceed the previous. Rotella T6, CK-4 is my oil of choice for most all farm equipment and trucks.

Hope you find a good answer.

Smokey, good to hear from you again. That's a nice oil chart. It'll go into my permanent files.

I use Rotella T6 15w-40 (CJ-4 right now....maybe CK- next time) And I run it the same year round although I wish the initial low temperature viscosity was lower for cold weather. I compensate for that by never starting up below 30F without having run the block heater for a hour or more.

Our M59 with the Interim Tier IV engine sure pumps out bursts of sooty black smoke when the engine is changing speeds although it burns clean at any constant RPM - even at about 1100 RPM which is where I backhoe a lot. The oil does blacken quickly. Soot is abrasive, so I change oil at least every year. For the last two years I've been running with the EGR disabled just to see if there is any obvious difference. So far no difference as far as I can tell.

With 1035 hours on the engine it is running very well. Starts instantly and just purrs.
rScotty

I have a 2009 pre-tier 4 Kubota M6040. From my Op Manual - -
- Use engine oil with API classification CD, CE or CF
- temp ranges - from above 77F to below 32F - 10W-30 or 15W-40
- they speak of using CF-4 and CG-4 with low sulfur diesel - if used with high sulfur diesel - oil change at more frequent interval.

I use Shell Rotella T4 15W-40. Far exceeds these 12 year old requirements.

Does your have EGR?

/ Kubota Interim Tier IV Motor Oils #8  
The chart is on the Kubota USA main website. Click on service and support tab then the maintenance tab.

/ Kubota Interim Tier IV Motor Oils #9  
Smokey, good to hear from you again. That's a nice oil chart. It'll go into my permanent files.

I use Rotella T6 15w-40 (CJ-4 right now....maybe CK- next time) And I run it the same year round although I wish the initial low temperature viscosity was lower for cold weather. I compensate for that by never starting up below 30F without having run the block heater for a hour or more.

Our M59 with the Interim Tier IV engine sure pumps out bursts of sooty black smoke when the engine is changing speeds although it burns clean at any constant RPM - even at about 1100 RPM which is where I backhoe a lot. The oil does blacken quickly. Soot is abrasive, so I change oil at least every year. For the last two years I've been running with the EGR disabled just to see if there is any obvious difference. So far no difference as far as I can tell.

With 1035 hours on the engine it is running very well. Starts instantly and just purrs.
rScotty

How do you disable the EGR? Thoughts on adjusting the timing?

There is a rather large company in a nearby rural county that adjusts diesel big trucks, big equipment, ag etc to improve performance, economy and longevity. Since they do on road diesels I’m sure they do what’s legal. Not your teenager with diesel pickup hot rod shop.

My old M5030 could bush hog with about half the fuel of my M59. So if one could improve the power and economy would be nice.

/ Kubota Interim Tier IV Motor Oils #10  
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) is often misunderstood.
Exhaust is introduced into the combustion chamber,which dilutes the oxygen level in the chamber.
This results in a lower combustion chamber temperature,thereby reducing NOx emissions.