Kubota KX121 vs KX040

/ Kubota KX121 vs KX040 #1  

couchsachraga

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4520 cab... formerly Yanmar 336D
I'm hoping / sem-planning on adding a min-ex to the fleet this year - mostly trail and small road building, landscaping (rocks, shaping) and a little trenching. No basements or big digging projects (I'll rent when I need bigger). I've rented 5 ton units in the past (Case 55? and Kubota U55), as well as operating a Volvo 140 for a bit - I was impress day the Kubota and Volvo, but not the Case). I'd been leaning towards a midi, but for most of my use a 4 or 5 ton unit should be fine, and the 6 way blade (as well as a hydraulic angle grading bucket) looks like the way to go for me... so my options are rather limited (only Kubota if I understand correctly).

It looks like the plus to the 121 is Tier 3 or at least interim Tier IV, so less emissions items to go wrong / maintain. Reach is a few inches longer
It looks like the plus for the replacement 040 is a much nicer cab and higher breakout force.

It looks like the KX040's aren't that much more $$ oddly (upper 30s / lower 40's for a KX121 with 6 way blade, low to mid 40's for a KX040. 2k difference doesn't seem like much for a much newer machine (looking at similar hours, features, etc... from what I can tell, but I've not gone to see any machines yet as I don't want to waste anyones time).

Anything I'm missing, and if you've operated both any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I've read every post I can fine on them here and via Google, but I don't see that many direct comparisons.

/ Kubota KX121 vs KX040 #2  
You may want to look at those prices again, my KX-71 was 40K with sales tax new.

/ Kubota KX121 vs KX040 #3  
Yeah....a new 121 is quite a bit more than 40k.

/ Kubota KX121 vs KX040
My apologies for the confusion - I am indeed looking at used units, and trying to compare similarly equipped machines with similar hours (a 6way blade machine with a cab being worth more than a strait blade open ROPS machine, condition and hours being equal). Prices in the original post are what I see at local dealers and online.

Has anyone run both and might enlighten me what the significant differences are? Given the much newer design of the kx040 and higher breakout I would have expected a greater premium for one vs a kx121 it replaced.. or is the tier IV emissions really worth avoiding?

/ Kubota KX121 vs KX040 #8  
I’ve looked at both at our local Kubota dealer and the 40 is a nicer more refined cab. I think the 121 was such a well thought of and proven machine that it’s holding its resale value very well. They had a121 trade in their couple weeks back and i don’t think they even got it cleaned up for the used lot and it was sold. I bought a new Volvo ec60e 2 1/2 years ago that I’ve been real happy with, 1100hrs on it now and no problems. It uses a Kubota 2.6 Liter tier4 engine with dpf that hasn’t given any trouble, I just leave it in auto mode and it does its cleaning with no issues. So I don’t think I’d be too concerned with a Kubota tier4. What brand of tilt head we’re you considering? I designed a rotating limb shear for mine that I’ve used a lot , getting too old for a 16ft pole saw in the orchard. A tilt head for the bucket looks like it would be a useful addition down the road. In Europe I understand the tilt head s are as popular as the thumbs are here. Good luck, B

/ Kubota KX121 vs KX040 #9  
I don't know about a KX040, I've never seen one. I've had my KX-121-3 for 11 years now and it's been a great machine. Mine has the swing blade but not the tilt. I wish it had the 6 way blade, I sure use the angle blade a lot. Mostly mine has been used around the farm and building trails on steep hillsides here and in a few state parks.

Knock on wood, it's been trouble free. I have a bit over 600 hours on it.

With it's weight I can pull it with a dually and stay below the 26,000 pound limit. Mine does not have the enlose cab.

Ken

/ Kubota KX121 vs KX040
Thank you for the replies!

I've run a Volvo EC140 for a bit - nice machine. If I wasn't so enamored with a 6 way blade I'd definitely be looking at Volvo (as well as Deere and Yanmar). I'm not sure on the grading bucket yet; one machine I was interested in has one already (which would make it pretty easy!), the other does not. The rotating limb shear sounds really nice - I have 2 different sized Silky pole saws but being able to reach up with the excavator would be really nice.

I've found one with just under 900 hours that looks pretty good. We'll see how it all goes - right now I'm a bit tied up between work and maple sugaring.