Kubota L 4701 or LS 4047

/ Kubota L 4701 or LS 4047 #1  

52farmer

Tractor
New Holland Boomer55-BX2680
Thinking about updating my TC35D,got it down to these two ,looking for some input

/ Kubota L 4701 or LS 4047 #2  
The first question I'd ask is where you're going to find an R4047? I don't think many are left on dealer lots now, but a few could be out there. I sold my R4047H to a member here after 215hrs, but it was a great machine (replaced it with a Case backhoe).

Other than availability, they two are pretty close in most specs for the main machine...the LS weighs about 500lbs more, has a touch more pump flow (not enough to matter much) and one size larger front tires (good if you have wet areas).

The big differences are in the loader, and standard features. The LS loader will lift 900lbs more, but has a lower max lift height (9"). If you don't have to load small dump trucks, or 30yd rolloff dumpsters, the lift height probably won't be an issue, but the higher lift capacity will be a big plus.

As far as standard features, the LS will have a number that cost extra on the Kubota. I have to admit I'm not familiar with all the difference between the L4600 and the new 4701, but I don't think they changed standard features much. The LS will have two standard rear remotes (big plus), telescoping 3pt lift arms and stabilizer bars (huge plus), cruise control, a rear work light, horn, and 7-pin trailer connection (all minor pluses). I don't think the 4701 has a tilt steering wheel, but the LS does, and the standard warranty is longer for the LS, but you can pay for additional for the Kubota to even things out.

I just quickly priced out an L4701 on the Kubota's website, and tried to make it the equivalent to the R4047H, and it came up with a touch over $35K. Figure you'll get something like 15% off of that, so $29K or so. That's about $7K more than R4047s are running (HST).

Other than wanting a bit higher lift height on my R4047, the only other thing I thought that could be better was the opening between the fender well and the brake pedals...a bit more room for your feet to pass through. Some taller folks say they feel a bit cramped, but people here have found a way to move the seat back a couple of inches, which seems to help. I'm not real tall, so it didn't even enter my mind.

Both are good machines, so you really can't go wrong with either. I'd suspect the Kubota to have better resale for at least the foreseeable future, but that could change as more folks find out about LS.

/ Kubota L 4701 or LS 4047
The first question I'd ask is where you're going to find an R4047? I don't think many are left on dealer lots now, but a few could be out there. I sold my R4047H to a member here after 215hrs, but it was a great machine (replaced it with a Case backhoe).

Other than availability, they two are pretty close in most specs for the main machine...the LS weighs about 500lbs more, has a touch more pump flow (not enough to matter much) and one size larger front tires (good if you have wet areas).

The big differences are in the loader, and standard features. The LS loader will lift 900lbs more, but has a lower max lift height (9"). If you don't have to load small dump trucks, or 30yd rolloff dumpsters, the lift height probably won't be an issue, but the higher lift capacity will be a big plus.

As far as standard features, the LS will have a number that cost extra on the Kubota. I have to admit I'm not familiar with all the difference between the L4600 and the new 4701, but I don't think they changed standard features much. The LS will have two standard rear remotes (big plus), telescoping 3pt lift arms and stabilizer bars (huge plus), cruise control, a rear work light, horn, and 7-pin trailer connection (all minor pluses). I don't think the 4701 has a tilt steering wheel, but the LS does, and the standard warranty is longer for the LS, but you can pay for additional for the Kubota to even things out.

I just quickly priced out an L4701 on the Kubota's website, and tried to make it the equivalent to the R4047H, and it came up with a touch over $35K. Figure you'll get something like 15% off of that, so $29K or so. That's about $7K more than R4047s are running (HST).

Other than wanting a bit higher lift height on my R4047, the only other thing I thought that could be better was the opening between the fender well and the brake pedals...a bit more room for your feet to pass through. Some taller folks say they feel a bit cramped, but people here have found a way to move the seat back a couple of inches, which seems to help. I'm not real tall, so it didn't even enter my mind.

Both are good machines, so you really can't go wrong with either. I'd suspect the Kubota to have better resale for at least the foreseeable future, but that could change as more folks find out about LS.

My mistake on model # should be XR4046H,but i am guessing should be similar to tractor you had.
Thanks

/ Kubota L 4701 or LS 4047 #4  
Yup the 46 is the same tractor with a different engine. Now it uses a Shibaura tier 4 instead of a Mitsubishi tier 3. Slightly less horsepower, but still a good engine.

a couple other very minor changes between the 46 and 47 to some of the decals, and some of the lever locations. Otherwise the same.

the Kubota you are looking at is a nice tractor also, but like G man pointed out many less features and many thousands more dollars.

gman, I didn't know you picked up a backhoe, send me an email with some pics and info, I'd love to see it!

/ Kubota L 4701 or LS 4047 #5  
The XR4046 is more equivalent to the Kubota Grand L series than the standard L series. You will have to pay for some options on the Kubota that are standard on the LS.

Even then, there may be some features on the LS that are not available on the Kubota, such as the extendable lower lift arm ends.

/ Kubota L 4701 or LS 4047
Just added a Kioti DK40SE HST to the mix seems like a well put together tractor,any thoughts. A few less extras than LS but seems like a better tractor

/ Kubota L 4701 or LS 4047 #7  
Just added a Kioti DK40SE HST to the mix seems like a well put together tractor,any thoughts. A few less extras than LS but seems like a better tractor

I compared a Kioti DK40SE HST to the R4047H I bought, and the two were very close. I don't think there's any significant difference in quality between the two. I'm pretty sure i would have been very happy if I'd gone with the Kioti...really no bad choice between them.

I actually thought the LS ran smoother, and was quieter. For a bit less money you get a decent increase in PTO horsepower with the LS compared to the Kioti....but that may not matter depending on your uses.

/ Kubota L 4701 or LS 4047 #8  
. . . For a bit less money you get a decent increase in PTO horsepower with the LS compared to the Kioti....but that may not matter depending on your uses.

For comparing to the XR4046 and trying to be apples-to-apples, I think you'd have to compare the DK45SE rather than the DK40SE. The build quality would be the same on both, but the DK45 will be a few bucks more than the DK40.

And I agree that it would be hard to make a bad choice between the Kioti and the LS. I could have been happy with either one.

/ Kubota L 4701 or LS 4047 #9  
For comparing to the XR4046 and trying to be apples-to-apples, I think you'd have to compare the DK45SE rather than the DK40SE. The build quality would be the same on both, but the DK45 will be a few bucks more than the DK40.

And I agree that it would be hard to make a bad choice between the Kioti and the LS. I could have been happy with either one.

Sure, but that's sort of the problem. When I priced them at the end of 2012, a DK40SE was almost $2K more than an R4047. Stepping up to the DK45SE would close the PTO power gap (only slightly), but it would cost another $2K or so more than the DK40 did. The new XR series have less PTO power for the same engine power compared to the R series, so that closes the gap better, but still not completely.

The other question is where is anybody finding a DK40SE right now? I know all the cab models were gone a long time ago, and the ROPS versions were getting scarce several months back.

/ Kubota L 4701 or LS 4047 #10  
Test run them all and decide which machine you are most comfortable with and decide if any of them cant do something you need to do.

We chose the Kioti over the LS due to a slightly craped feel I got when running the LS and the little bit of extra lift height could just cover loading our dump without having to remove the extensions.

Price was close on many of the machines we looked at but in the end we paid slightly less for the Kioti than the best price we were given on the LS about 2500 less with the backhoe included but it seemed that buying the LS without the backhoe would have been a little less expensive than buying the DK without the backhoe. I think this might have been due to promotions that we were able to take advantage of at the time of purchase but it worked in our favor.

Like others have said they are all good machines with slight differences that might make a difference to one person but not at all to the next. So buy the machine that feels the best to you and is capable of doing the work you need done.