Buying Advice Kubota L2350 vs Deere 750

/ Kubota L2350 vs Deere 750 #1  

rebelkris76

Tractor
Don't own a tractor
Hey guys/gals, new member and (obviously) first time poster. Have followed the forum for a while, but just now ready to pull the trigger on a tractor. Can't afford new right now, so going the used route. I own 40 acres, only 10 of which needs upkeep. Very flat property...was agriculture in the past. The 10 acres I need to keep up is not overgrown, as I have kept it cut down by borrowing/renting tractors over the past year. Trying to stay in the $4k-$6k range...all I need is something that will pull a 4'-5' bush hog and a 4'-5' tiller (for deer plots), for now. The wife and I will be building a house down there in the next 24-30 months and I will most likely buy a 35-40 hp tractor with FEL, etc. So, for now, a small used tractor is all I can justify...

I have found 2 tractors that are in my price range...one is a 1994 Kubota L2350 2wd with 692 hours on it. Comes with a 6' finishing mower, so I will still need to buy a bush hog for it (and tiller, eventually...before the fall gets here)...one owner, garage kept, has turf tires, appears to be in really really good shape and very well taken care of...he's asking $6,250.

The other is a 1987 John Deere 750 4wd with 1,400 hours on it. It comes with a 4' bush hog, so I would be good to go there (would still have to buy a tiller, eventually). Second owner, ag tires, appears to be in pretty good shape, no leaks, etc. Starts/runs good. Asking $5,000.

I think the obvious choice is the Kubota, just given the lower hours, newer, etc. But that one is pushing my price limits, especially given I'll have to sink another $600-$1,000 in a bush hog.

Any and all feedback and input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

rebekris76

/ Kubota L2350 vs Deere 750 #2  
Does either have a loader included? PTO and weight are close with the Kubota being a little more PTO power, but the 4wd is a necessity for a small tractor.

Honestly if you can get by without buying a older tractor, and save for what you really want, is what I would do in your situation. You never know what could happen to cost you several dollars in repairs on a machine you don't really want or need in the first place.

/ Kubota L2350 vs Deere 750
Neither have a loader. Yes, I would love a loader...yes, I would love a newer/bigger/stronger tractor... and one day I will have one when we build a house there...So to say "wait and save for what you really want" is not really the advice I was looking for...I am looking for buying advice b/w these 2 tractors...or other tractors in this price range I should consider. I was really thinking that neither of these tractors would depreciate a whole lot more over the next 3-5 years, so I probably wouldn't get hurt. Right now I need something I can keep down there and go bushhog the 8-10 acres whenever I want/need to.. Why is the 4wd such a necessity? I need 4wd to pull a bushhog and/or tiller? I grew up on a Massey 245 (2wd) and pulled a 6' bushhog and a 5' disk all over the 125 acres where we lived...

/ Kubota L2350 vs Deere 750 #4  
I would never buy another 2wd tractor even though I have flat land also . I have some wet spots and of course snow in my area . If you are sure you don't need 4wd I would go for the kubota with less hours . You don't need 4wd for a tiller or bush hog if you have good ground with no bad areas you need to get over .

/ Kubota L2350 vs Deere 750 #5  
Buy the cheapest (John Deere) to get you by until you get your new tractor. Why pay more now to use less when you get your new one?

/ Kubota L2350 vs Deere 750
Citydude, now that advice makes sense...

/ Kubota L2350 vs Deere 750 #7  
Well, I suppose this is why we have the internet. You will get opinions that you may not agree with and some that you will, in the end its an opinion and worth what you pay for it. Citydude's advice is solid.

/ Kubota L2350 vs Deere 750 #8  
I would definitely go with the JD for two main reason. 4wd and ag tires. I used to have a tractor that had turfs and did about 2 acres of food plots with it and it worked quite well but it needed to be in 4wd constantly. I switched it to ags and was a world of difference. I know a lot of people think 1400 hours is a lot for a tractor but in all honesty it really is not all that bad. If that tractor was taken care of it still has a lot of life left in it.

/ Kubota L2350 vs Deere 750 #9  
I'd take the 750. That is a great tractor and is well built. For it's age the hours aren't too bad. I mean my case magnum has over 8000 hours and it's still in excellent shape.