Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results
Like I stated previously (and took some flack from the peanut gallery), I would have just bought a larger unit. I bet the cost to turbo that one (and the labor involved) far outstripped the cost of a bigger unit.

The other issue is, it's not tradeable on a new unit now. No Kubota dealer would take it on trade. You could probably sell it outright but that would be the only way.

Nice install but far above the means and expertise of the average owner.

35 ponies is less than half what mine outputs at the pto and I do wonder about the longevity of the hydrostat components that were sized for lower horsepower. Time will tell I guess.
That’s a shame. You didn’t read the thread. And, you didn’t read or learn that the L2501 with this Turbo kit is over $2K less expensive than a L3901 and $4K less expensive than an L3902 all the while delivering more performance.

And while designing and fabricating Turbo kit itself is beyond the skill of most owners, installing it is not. It’s extremely easy for anyone with very basic mechanical knowledge to install the Turbo kit in less than two hours. It’s basically just a muffler swap.

Furthermore, your assumption on trade/sale value doesn’t seem like it’s going to be an issue, especially considering that my local Kubota dealer is not only interested in the Turbo Kit itself but, also wants to take my L2501 in trade for an L2502. They’re offering market value.

That said, if someone needs more tractor weight, there’s nothing wrong with buying more tractor. For those that have an L2501 and just need a bit more PTO power, than this is a great solution.

Mike

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results
I've put about 90 hours on my L2501 over the past 10-11 months. IMO, all the components are well matched to the size, weight and HP of the tractor.

Increasing the HP doesn't increase the size of the loader cylinders or increase the weight or traction of the tractor.
I agree. The L2501’s components are well matched to the size and weight of the tractor. However, oddly enough, Kubota doesn’t agree. They made three separate HP levels for this tractor size. 25, 33 and 39.
I’m simply elevating the performance of the L2501 to the upper end of the range.

Yes. HP doesn’t increase the size of the loader, the lift capacity, traction or weight of the tractor. But, nobody said it would. By providing additional PTO power, the user can simply power additional implements that 19 HP cannot.

Mike

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #23  
I did read your entire thread actually and I respect your fabrication skills, however just because your dealer is interested don't mean Kubota would warranty a new unit with that modification. In fact, probably not. Kubota is very touchy when it comes to modifications that involve engine power and modifying it.

My thoughts are again, you want more power, buy a larger unit.

Don't do little tractors here. I farm with mine and even mine are sometimes not big enough but I'm not about to purchase any unit that is T 4-5. Not ever.

Lots of pre 4 tractors on sale on Tractor House btw.

Maybe you should market your setup and eliminate the dealer entirely.

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #24  
Looks awesome.!!
And a great write up on everything.!
I would be interested in doing that to my L2501 if it was my only tractor, and I may still do it down the road, just for the turbo whistle. LoL
Ignore the few naysayers, that don’t use compact tractors, their opinion on the subject is invalid,
( I’m sure there is a personal small package, big tractor joke in there somewhere, but I’ll refrain)

It seems a great way to increase hp and torque, without dealing with any of the newer emissions equipment, and is perfectly legal to do so, (not that I care either way).
I’m not sure of the legality of removing emissions equipment from a new tractor that has it.

I’m also sure trade in would not be an issue at my 2 local dealers, and you would probably get a premium for it, as it would sell immediately. It is everything the tractor should be for it’s size, had it not been for government mandates on emissions

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #25  
Terrific fabrication, courage, and testing/reporting here. Thank you for sharing! We've seen this post/results before though, right? OTT?

I am glad you achieved your goal. You have the thick skin needed to explain your reasoning here on a forum full of snarky critics.

However I have to sorta agree with some of the naysayers here. In my opinion this thread, while awesome, serves best as a warning for other people not to attempt this. You have way more power, but you still have the LA525 loader that now seems even more undersized for your power. Are you sure the 2501 got the same transmission and drivetrain parts as the 3901, by the way?

Like, just to make clear to everyone else if not familiar, you can have this much useable tractor power, but ALSO have a way stronger loader, 3-pt, weight, etc - for the same price as the Kubota 2501 in the first place, if you just shop other brands. I had a similar choice to make in shopping for my Kioti, they have the no-emissions 2610 in the same frame as my 3510. I am sure glad I ended up with the higher power engine, because I drive uphill in high range all the time down my long driveway.

I did read your entire thread actually and I respect your fabrication skills, however just because your dealer is interested don't mean Kubota would warranty a new unit with that modification. In fact, probably not. Kubota is very touchy when it comes to modifications that involve engine power and modifying it.

My thoughts are again, you want more power, buy a larger unit.

Don't do little tractors here. I farm with mine and even mine are sometimes not big enough but I'm not about to purchase any unit that is T 4-5. Not ever.

Lots of pre 4 tractors on sale on Tractor House btw.

Maybe you should market your setup and eliminate the dealer entirely.

If you read the thread then you would understand I already addressed those concerns….installing a Turbo kit will void your Kubota warranty, period. There’s no debate there. I wouldn’t expect or imply otherwise.

And, you don’t necessarily need to buy a larger unit. That’s why Kubota offers the Standard L Series tractor in 25, 33 and 39 HP. This option delivers 44 HP. If someone needs a tractor of this size and requires more power, this is a potential solution. Again, if you need more tractor weight and lift capacity, look elsewhere.

Yes, I’m not expecting Kubota to appreciate my modification or for authorized dealers to take interest, although locally, they have. Everyone that has seen the setup, has been thoroughly impressed.

Mike

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #27  
The fact he dynoed it with model and specs on his turbo and took the time to tell folks the results with various adjustments to the fuel pump, etc is invaluable to some.

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #28  
My issue don't lie with your mods at all. My issue entirely lies with the T4-5 ECM controlled injection system. My local dealer is having fits with it. Very touchy and not at all user friendly.

Sure glad the EPA sees fit to cause issues.

Terrific fabrication, courage, and testing/reporting here. Thank you for sharing! We've seen this post/results before though, right? OTT?

I am glad you achieved your goal. You have the thick skin needed to explain your reasoning here on a forum full of snarky critics.

However I have to sorta agree with some of the naysayers here. In my opinion this thread, while awesome, serves best as a warning for other people not to attempt this. You have way more power, but you still have the LA525 loader that now seems even more undersized for your power. Are you sure the 2501 got the same transmission and drivetrain parts as the 3901, by the way?

Like, just to make clear to everyone else if not familiar, you can have this much useable tractor power, but ALSO have a way stronger loader, 3-pt, weight, etc - for the same price as the Kubota 2501 in the first place, if you just shop other brands. I had a similar choice to make in shopping for my Kioti, they have the no-emissions 2610 in the same frame as my 3510. I am sure glad I ended up with the higher power engine, because I drive uphill in high range all the time down my long driveway.

Thank you.
Yes, different audience here and I was able to post all content uninterrupted which I happy to have the ability to do here.

Yes, the Kubota Standard L Series tractors share the same Hydrostat unit and PTO train with the exception of two gears.

And, certainly, we can all agree, if you need more tractor weight and lift capacity, buy a larger tractor.

However, that’s not what we’re discussing here. We’re discussing the Standard L Series tractors which come in three different HP configurations (25,33 &39). Ironically, all three tractors are the same weight. That’s right, regardless of the HP, each tractor weighs the same. And, they all share the same 525/526 loader with the same lift capacity. What? Yep, everything is the same. Isn’t that nuts?!?

So, all this Turbo kit is doing, is elevating the performance of the L2501 to exceed the performance of the L3901 / L3902 for less money. That’s it. Pretty simple.

This is a great option for someone that needs a tractor this size/weight, or already owns a L2501 and wants additional performance.

Mike

My issue don't lie with your mods at all. My issue entirely lies with the T4-5 ECM controlled injection system. My local dealer is having fits with it. Very touchy and not at all user friendly.

Sure glad the EPA sees fit to cause issues.
Luckily, the L2501 is a simple mechanical diesel engine that isn’t equipped with all that complicated nonsense.

Mike