Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #31  
Luckily, the L2501 is a simple mechanical diesel engine that isn’t equipped with all that complicated nonsense.

Mike

Exactly
Which is why your turbo mod, helps make it just about a perfect little tractor

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #32  
So I know you discussed a lot of your process already. But how hard would it be to compile a package of the necessary parts for anyone else interested in doing this? What was the total investment?

Also, unless I missed it, you conveniently just glossed over the oil feed and return lines for the turbo. ;) Did you have an easy place to source high pressure oil from?

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #33  
When I was tractor shopping before buying mine, I did look for a bit at what the smallest and most affordable turbocharged CUT would be. I just LOVE hearing a turbo spool up on a cold start.

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #34  
I laughed, I cried, and...
...I learned?

Nice work, great fabrication and an entertaining story. Thank you!

Now that I'm outta warranty I may be interested in doing something similar. Maybe I'll start with the fuel and timing first. But I do have a question: Have you monitored HST fluid temps? the reason I ask is that when I work my machine hard, the temps get to the point that you cannot put your hand on the trans. I wonder if the extra power would make it worse or better?

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results
So I know you discussed a lot of your process already. But how hard would it be to compile a package of the necessary parts for anyone else interested in doing this? What was the total investment?

Also, unless I missed it, you conveniently just glossed over the oil feed and return lines for the turbo. ;) Did you have an easy place to source high pressure oil from?

Total investment is under $3K (that’s with a new OEM MHI Mitsubishi Turbo…not a Chinese knockoff) and I can work on getting a parts and components list going.

The Turbo oil feed and return lines are super easy. There’s no magic involved. We’re getting our oil feed from the oil pressure switch on the left side of the block and the oil return is fed to a pre-existing provision in the engine block.

I’m working on switching over the current oil feed/return lines to AN lines and fittings to clean up and simplify the overall installation. Plus, the AN lines and fittings look better too.

Mike

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #36  
Great write up! Those changes in power are fantastic for sure! Excellent fab skills.

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #37  
I may do something like this on my mx5200 to get more uphill horsepower out of it

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results
^^^^
Looks like the MX5200 is already Turbocharged (MX4800 is N/A). I would assume adding more fuel and perhaps adjusting the Turbo actuator to increase boost pressure would provide more power, however, I’m not familiar enough with the fuel delivery situation to confirm it can be done.

Mike

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #39  
^^^^
Looks like the MX5200 is already Turbocharged (MX4800 is N/A). I would assume adding more fuel and perhaps adjusting the Turbo actuator to increase boost pressure would provide more power, however, I’m not familiar enough with the fuel delivery situation to confirm it can be done.

Mike
Wouldn't you also probably have to flash the ECM? That's sounds like more of a headache than how worthwhile it might actually be useful unlike the simpler 2501 imo. I should turbo my beat up museum pieces I'd throw dirt and stumps out of the bf500 loader like a catapult and pop wheelies while burning the rubber off my ag tires on asphalt while anxiously listening to the drivetrains on both internally self destruct under my seat. But hey I can now merge on the freeway without a smv triangle. Jk 😂.

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #40  
A while ago I read about a few people installing turbo kits on Kubota RTV side-by-sides. Also, TTWT highlighted in several videos Deere 1025R that had a turbo installed.