Kubota L3400 Blue Smoke

/ Kubota L3400 Blue Smoke
Personally I don't think running a bush hog is going to load it to the point that Jerry is referring to. I can pull a 21 foot finish mower and don't see much increase in load at all. probably 10%. Once you spin up a bush hog it doesn't require much to turn it unless you get it in some really thick stuff.
In august i always disk up about 10 acres and plant rye for the winter. I will be putting through the test eventually.

/ Kubota L3400 Blue Smoke #12  
If you want to load it up put a chisel plow behind it.

/ Kubota L3400 Blue Smoke
Well, got one thing corrected. Took starter off and it would not do anything when I hooked up on bench. Decided if I was going to have to buy a starter I may as well open it up and look. One of the brushes was stuck off the motor commutator. I took it out and cleaned it with wd-40, couldn’t find my electrical cleaning spray, put it together and it worked as it should. I put it back on the tractor and this seems to have done the trick.

As I said yesterday I changed the air filter out and it seems to have cut out the blue smoke. im In no way trying to educate y’all, your knowledge is so valuable to this forum. There is a hose that runs from the valve cover to the air intake, engine side of the air filter. I wonder if the air filter was clogged enough to make it suck oil through this hose. That’s my best educated guess. I’m gonna mow some next week and when done change all fluids, see if that will clear everything up. Thanks for all y’all’s help.

/ Kubota L3400 Blue Smoke #16  
900 hours is not much for that tractor. I was on my L3700SU yesterday to help load a flat skid steer tire into the bed of a dump truck and looked at my hour meter for the first time ..in a long time.. Im at 350 hours. .. Not much IMO..I primarily use it to drag a LPGS on my road and pick up brush to bring to the burn pile in the winter.

/ Kubota L3400 Blue Smoke #17  
I have a 2004 Kubota L3400DT that started smoking when I start it and when I accelerate. If I push the throttle it will puff out blue smoke, I know it’s burning oil, I can smell it. i bought this tractor new, it has about 900 hours. Have always changed the oil at 200 hours. Could I have valve stem seals leaking or do y’all think I need to put new rings in it? Another issue that started not too long ago is that it will start right up cold, big puff of blue smoke, but once it warms up if I turn it off it’s hard to get it to turn over and fire back up. I know it’s a lot but I have to tear it down and get it fixed.Speed Test
Do these have a PCV valve on them? I’d start there and check that. 900 hours is nothing on a diesel engine unless it was overheated or neglected.

Last edited:
   / Kubota L3400 Blue Smoke #18  
...One of the brushes was stuck off the motor commutator. I took it out and cleaned it...

I wonder if the air filter was clogged enough to make it suck oil through this hose... Thanks for all y’all’s help.
That's all good information to know... and Thank you for letting us know the out come!!!