Loader Kubota L3430/LA723 and Round Bales

/ Kubota L3430/LA723 and Round Bales #1  

AB4D

Silver Member
Tractor
Prior: Kubota BX-23, Kubota L3430HSTC, Kubota ZG23, L3560 HSTC Limited Edition, Current: L6060 HSTC
I am selling my tractor, a Kubota L3430 Grand Cab, with the LA 723 Loader. A prospective purchaser, is concerned whether the tractor/loader is capable enough to handle big bales of hay, 5.5' by 6'. It has the quick attach, so he would use that type of spear, rather than one that extends the bucket. I've used my tractor and loader to grapple whole 40 foot long trees, and to lift a 24 foot tower that weighed 1600 pounds.

I haven't dealt with hay, so looking for guys that may have done that type of work using the Kubota L series and the LA 723 loader. He asked about that, but I did not have an answer, other than I could certainly say the he would need the proper counterweight on the rear of the tractor.

Thanks for any input.

Jim

/ Kubota L3430/LA723 and Round Bales #2  
Ooooh, that's pushing the limits, Mate. 40hp is usually the minimum for handling rounds of hay, especially if you intend to 'stack' them (one high).

As you've said, counterbalance is very important. As is overall weight of the tractor. As long as the load is kept as low as possible, the ground is relatively flat from point A to point B and the operator goes slow...

But handling a round at a height (loading a lorry/wagon in the field) or stacking may be too unstable.

/ Kubota L3430/LA723 and Round Bales #3  
Little small for that size bale.

/ Kubota L3430/LA723 and Round Bales #4  
Grand L's like yours should be able to do it... Tractor @ 3,305 lb, most likely another 1000 pounds for the loader and if you have the tires loaded and/or lots of weight on the 3 point hitch, {Rear lift (at 24"): 2,650 lbs} basically you should be able do 1500 pounds. How heavy are the bales?

/ Kubota L3430/LA723 and Round Bales #5  
You can do 1500, i have same loader.

/ Kubota L3430/LA723 and Round Bales #6  
Its going to be tough. I moved 4 x 6 and 5 x 5 bales with my L5740 but with rear and front spear. I never used the front without a bale on the rear. Height is also a problem. I couldn't comfortably load the 4 x 6 bales on our bale haulers second tier due to height limit. My L5740 had a skid steer quick attach spear. I believe it had a higher weight capacity loader than your LA723. I could move them around with no problem as long as I had a bale on the rear spear before picking up the front. Of course having some other form of counterweight on the rear would be as effective as the rear spear with bale. Anyway 5.5 x 6 bales are going to a real workout.

/ Kubota L3430/LA723 and Round Bales #7  
Having owned a L3130 with the 723;I would say no way;currently have a L4240 with the 854 and think it would be borderline for that loader.

/ Kubota L3430/LA723 and Round Bales #8  
The OP says the FEL is "quick attach", but doesn't mention what type.

A SSQA is going to add a significant weight to the lifting capacity.