Kubota L4400 4x4 manual trans change to hydrostatic

/ Kubota L4400 4x4 manual trans change to hydrostatic #1  

Surshot

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400 4x4
Can an old 06 L4400 be changed out from a manual transmission to a new style hydrostatic transmission?

A prior spinal cord injury, is acting up as I get older, imagine that, the manual clutch is more difficult to use for all day loading/unloading operations due to.... Timber cutters are coming in 6 months.

I checked the new 50 Hp and they will not fit the barn door frames, or about half of my tractor implements, like my 3 point hitch $6k back hoe.

So it is a new barn or barn face and several new implements VS maybe a tranny change out and keep the other stuff as is. Not to mention the catalytic converter crapola mess. Forgot the old has 900 hours on it and I own a tree farm.

Attachments

• C0644102-010C-4A32-8C1B-5C7917BD9CAB.jpeg
    C0644102-010C-4A32-8C1B-5C7917BD9CAB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
   / Kubota L4400 4x4 manual trans change to hydrostatic #3  
I checked the new 50 Hp and they will not fit the barn door frames, or about half of my tractor implements, like my 3 point hitch $6k back hoe.

So it is a new barn or barn face and several new implements VS maybe a tranny change out and keep the other stuff as is. Not to mention the catalytic converter crapola mess. Forgot the old has 900 hours on it and I own a tree farm.

Inform us of the width of your barn door frame.

What is the outside-to-outside measure of your tires?

You should be able to find a used L4400 without too much trouble. That is likely the only way you will be able to transfer your Backhoe.

Kubota L4400​

Kubota L4400 tractor photo
2004 - 2010
Model year 2004-20072008-2010
Standard L Series
Compact Utility tractor
Dimensions
2WD Wheelbase:72.8 inches
184 cm
4WD Wheelbase:72.6 inches
184 cm
2WD Length:112.6 inches
286 cm
4WD Length:118.3 inches
300 cm
Width:62.4 inches
158 cm
Height (ROPS):85.4 inches
216 cm
2WD Clearance (front axle):15.4 inches
39 cm
4WD Clearance (front axle):15.7 inches
39 cm
2WD Front tread:50.4 to 62.2 inches
128 to 157 cm
4WD Front tread:45.5 inches
115 cm
Rear tread:46.5 to 60.8 inches
118 to 154 cm
Kubota L4400 Weight
2WD gear :3301 lbs
1497 kg
4WD gear :3153 lbs
1430 kg
4WD hydro :3307 lbs
1500 kg
Tractor hitch
Rear Type:I
Rear lift (at ends):2870 lbs
1301 kg
Rear lift (at 24"/610mm):2310 lbs
1047 kg

Last edited:
   / Kubota L4400 4x4 manual trans change to hydrostatic #4  
It's certainly possible if you were able to source the right parts and you had the time, skills, and equipment to devote to it. But you told us you have a back issue and a time limit and you mentioned the backhoe price so it seems there's a budget as well; so it doesn't appear very feasible from limited information.

I would concur with the other folks to try to source a matching base unit tractor with a hydro, then sell the unit you've got. Kubota has a sizeable market share so there should be some availability in the market.

/ Kubota L4400 4x4 manual trans change to hydrostatic
"It's certinly possible" That is all this old tractor driver, tree farm owner, near 20 year Kubota owner and a 5 clan Scott asked to know.

You do not need to know my budget, because that is my business not your business, ever, period.

Never mistake a Scott for not havng money to spend, they are by heritage, very careful when it comes to actually spending any money. We are thrifty.

/ Kubota L4400 4x4 manual trans change to hydrostatic #6  
Why would you get so offended? If someone ask you budget?

The idea of swapping an old hydrostat for the gear transmission would require a good deal of money.

The idea of swapping the old tractor for one with a hydrostat would make more economic sense since you have a bad back and a time frame to get it done.

Many people on here would simply tell you to trade it in or sell it out, right and then go buy a new tractor. So the more information you share the better than your answers will be.

Many people that have been out of the market for tractors or trucks or any other equipment, do not realize how expensive the new equipment is.

The high price of the new equipment has driven the used equipment quite high also.

I would suggest that you borrow or rent a hydrostat to see if holding the hydrostat pedal aggravates your back problem.

/ Kubota L4400 4x4 manual trans change to hydrostatic #7  
OP, please don't bite his head off...

/ Kubota L4400 4x4 manual trans change to hydrostatic #8  
It is possible. (y)

/ Kubota L4400 4x4 manual trans change to hydrostatic #9  
I'm sure it's possible with plenty of money but at what point is it worth it versus just getting another tractor?

For starters, you'll need at least the HST assembly and the middle transmission housing for the HST model, that alone is $10,700 for the HST and $1,200 for the middle case accordingly to Messicks. Then you all the little things like pedal linkages, input/output shafts, PTO input shats, damper plate. Probably another $5k to 7k?

Also, it's not uncommon for the range gears to be different on an HST compared to the Gear model. That only adds to the cost.

I'm guessing 20 to $25k in parts, not counting labor and that's just if there is everything you need still available.

/ Kubota L4400 4x4 manual trans change to hydrostatic #10  
"It's certinly possible" That is all this old tractor driver, tree farm owner, near 20 year Kubota owner and a 5 clan Scott asked to know.

You do not need to know my budget, because that is my business not your business, ever, period.

Never mistake a Scott for not havng money to spend, they are by heritage, very careful when it comes to actually spending any money. We are thrifty.
Where did that come from??

I thought I missed something so I reread the previous posts several times. All I saw was assistance. Jeff showed you that the L4400 was offered with Hydro. Sell yours, buy a Hydro unit, problem solved.

As for spending money..... Contact your nearest Kubota dealer and price the parts required to swap your tractor to Hydro.