Kubota L4400 separate axle housing for seal removal

/ Kubota L4400 separate axle housing for seal removal #1  

dieselfume

Trying to replace upper swivel seal on a L4400, removed large lower internal clip and gear/shaft, removed next up external clip. Is there anything else I need to do to separate the axle housings, I can't see anything else. I've pryed on it with 2 cross prybars, whacked on it with a hammer on a 2x4, tapped it metal to metal with a hammer. It has come down about 3/16" and won't go any further! Pound it harder?

Attachments

• separate castings.jpg
    separate castings.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 573
   / Kubota L4400 separate axle housing for seal removal
Got it! The next shim up didn't fall out and was caught in a groove.

/ Kubota L4400 separate axle housing for seal removal #3  
I am having the same problem; after removing both clips and both shims on my L3710, the Front Axle Bevel Gear Housing assembly (16) will not drop down and off. Is prying, whacking or hammering necessary? Is it possible to remove with the tie rod still connected?

Looking at the diagram I posted above, first step is to take off the wheel and drain the oil from the axle - most direct draining is by prying out the bottom seal cap (C) - it's plastic and there's a notch in the housing to get started.

Next, take off the drive flange and cover (six bolts, 2 nuts on studs) - it takes some prying or tapping (10, 11, 12, & 13 come off together)

Back where cap (C) was, take out the snap ring below the bottom bearing. The lower bearing, small gear (17) and shaft (15) can be worked down by prying down against the small gear through the hole in the housing. Once this is out, you can see another snap ring about halfway up - take that one off and (16) will drop down and off.

Part of the (A) seal will remain on the axle - take this off and clean up the axle with a wire brush so the new part fully seats. For reassembly, I put both parts of the new seal on (16) and pressed it up on the axle until the snap ring would go back on. The o-ring (D) was in ok shape - but I used a little silicone sealant around the flange anyway.

/ Kubota L4400 separate axle housing for seal removal #4  
A few good whacks did the trick, and the gear case now is off! It is possible to remove with the tie rod connected but is heavy and needs to be supported (if the seal is seized to the gear case like mine, then life will be much easier with the tie rod disconnected).