3-Point Hitch Kubota L4701 3PH adjustable lifting rod

/ Kubota L4701 3PH adjustable lifting rod #1  

PRooney70

Tractor
Kubota L4701 HST
I'm a newbie with owning my first tractor. I'm trying to cut some ditches in the side of my driveway with my box scraper and I'm getting an angle on it with my adjustable lifting rod and noticed how stinking hard it is to turn this thing. The little solid rod that goes thru the middle to grab a hold of and turn is hardly long enough to use. Is there a ratchet type of system that I can buy to help out with this or am I just plain doing something wrong with adjusting this? I've been putting the box scraper down to get some of the weight of the rod but it still doesn't seem to help much. Any ideas are appreciated.

/ Kubota L4701 3PH adjustable lifting rod #2  
Welcome to TBN.

Maybe it needs cleaned and lubed?

I always adjust with no load. That sometimes requires moving the 3pt lever a pinch during adjustment.

/ Kubota L4701 3PH adjustable lifting rod #3  
I'm a newbie with my first tractor.

I'm trying to cut ditches in the side of my driveway with my box scraper. I need to tilt the Box Scraper.

Your question is posted about once per month.

The right Lifting Rod threaded adjustment is primarily for leveling. Too much implement weight + tilt can strip right Lifting Rod threads. (Ask me how I know.)

To tilt an implement move the hair-clip secured pin through the Lower Link into lower paired holes on either the left or right Lifting Rod stirrup. (Left side in PHOTO.) You can see this "bulk" adjusts length of Lifting Rod 4" via stirrup without involving Lifting Rod threads. You can tilt implement either left or right.

Sometimes you have to move pins on both sides in order to get cultivator tines to penetrate ground.

Remember highest stirrup pin holes are the "normal" or default adjustment.

PHOTOS

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1a1.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1a1.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 316
  • fullsizeoutput_1a2.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1a2.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 337
  • fullsizeoutput_1a3.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1a3.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 301
Last edited:
   / Kubota L4701 3PH adjustable lifting rod #4  
   / Kubota L4701 3PH adjustable lifting rod
ovrszd: Thank you for the welcoming.

The adjusting rod has been greased and the the jam nut that is marked in the diagram has been loosened prior to trying to adjust.

Does the top link need to be loosened also prior to adjusting the lifting arm? Once I loosen the jam nut I can make one or two turns by hand but then after that I need to use a cheater bar/pipe/soft hammer to adjust it.

Is it good practice to tilt that box scraper one way over the other?

Forgot to mention that this is a brand new tractor too.

/ Kubota L4701 3PH adjustable lifting rod #7  
Is it good practice to tilt that box scraper one way over the other?

The male threads on the right lifting rod are progressively less engaged with female threads as the rod lengthens, hence possibility of stripping increases with length. There is a tapered thread-stop inside on the male end warning adjustment is nearing an end. If you continue to lengthen with a cheater male thread portion will eventually come out, obliterating internal female threads in the process.

Last edited:
Good to know Jeff :thumbsup:

/ Kubota L4701 3PH adjustable lifting rod #9  
The best way is to replace it with a hydraulic sidelink (toplink too). But that's almost a 2 grand proposition. Well worth it if you do much grading though & possibly with it for non-grading stuff as well.

/ Kubota L4701 3PH adjustable lifting rod #10  
For implements like a yardbox take frequent adjustments to get the best performance.
IMG_0669.JPG
Geared leveling box upgrade was from Weavers ~$90. Many sizes to choose from.