Kubota L4701 package deal advice needed

/ Kubota L4701 package deal advice needed #1  

kwijybo

Tractor
None yet
I have a chance to get a Kubota L4701 with 72" FEL, Landpride 72" cutter, landpride 72" box blade and a trailer to haul it all in for $30K + tax.

This is to take care of about 60 acres in NW TN (Puryear. Rolling hills, meadows, and ponds). When I retire, I plan to garden (it's going to be a big garden), keep the property brush hogged, do general maintenance and improvement on it, that sort of thing. IF (big if) things fall right, maybe start cutting and bailing some of the meadows for hay for my own cattle, and sell the remainder. (I know, probably not profitable).

1) Is this the right size for this? Too big? Too small? My basic estimate was about 35hp minimum, and I jumped a couple of sizes due to my own ignorance.

2) Is this a good deal? It seems so to me, but, ignorance again.

Any other comments would be welcomed. Thanks for your input!

/ Kubota L4701 package deal advice needed #2  
I have a chance to get a Kubota L4701 with 72" FEL, Landpride 72" cutter, landpride 72" box blade and a trailer to haul it all in for $30K + tax.

This is to take care of about 60 acres in NW TN (Puryear. Rolling hills, meadows, and ponds). When I retire, I plan to garden (it's going to be a big garden), keep the property brush hogged, do general maintenance and improvement on it, that sort of thing. IF (big if) things fall right, maybe start cutting and bailing some of the meadows for hay for my own cattle, and sell the remainder. (I know, probably not profitable).

1) Is this the right size for this? Too big? Too small? My basic estimate was about 35hp minimum, and I jumped a couple of sizes due to my own ignorance.

I think that's a good price but I haven't priced kubotas much. I would suggest hst though if it isn't. How much are you planning to brush hog. With a 6' cutter it would take a lot of time to keep everything knocked down. With your desire to get a garden going, I think the size you picked would be good for that but with the acreage you have you might want something larger. It's definitely a double edged sword.

Also, I'm a huge fan of cab tractors. They are cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I'm still relatively young (33) but I've spent enough time on OOS tractors and am done getting filthy mowing and lit up by bugs. I can also carry my son with me in his buddy seat. They are a sizable investment but one that you'll be glad to have

Brett

/ Kubota L4701 package deal advice needed
I think that's a good price but I haven't priced kubotas much. I would suggest hst though if it isn't. How much are you planning to brush hog. With a 6' cutter it would take a lot of time to keep everything knocked down. With your desire to get a garden going, I think the size you picked would be good for that but with the acreage you have you might want something larger. It's definitely a double edged sword.

Also, I'm a huge fan of cab tractors. They are cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I'm still relatively young (33) but I've spent enough time on OOS tractors and am done getting filthy mowing and lit up by bugs. I can also carry my son with me in his buddy seat. They are a sizable investment but one that you'll be glad to have

Brett

Right now, about 20 acres are in dire need of clearing, 10 or so are residential, 10 acres are used as a hay field (neighbor), and the rest have cattle to help keep them cleared (neighbor's). Neighbor wants to retire from cattle in a year or so (perfect timing for me, but means I'll need to pick it up fast).

/ Kubota L4701 package deal advice needed #4  
Good tractor, good price.

You will not take a bath selling it later for a CAB tractor or something larger. Is trailer rated to carry a utility tractor/ (10k)?

You should plan on hiring out to clear the 20 acres in any case when that time comes. Fecon equipped CTL, dozer or 12-20 T Excavator with blade or all of them combined. Save your back and your tractor.

/ Kubota L4701 package deal advice needed #5  

I would go with a little bigger tractor for baling hay, 50-55 hp at least.

Thanks for the help, folks. I just asked my Dad to get a quote for a Mahindra 5555 4WD, with FEL, brush hog, and box blade! Yeah, what a change.

I asked Dad to stop by the Mahindra dealer, and he fell in love. I went to a local dealer to look at one (GOD, what a beast!), and like it, too.

/ Kubota L4701 package deal advice needed #7  
Do you have a 3/4 ton truck/ suitable Trailer?

Do you have a 3/4 ton truck/ suitable Trailer?

No, not yet, but the plan is to get a new truck (old one is a 1991 Ranger) in the next year or so. Any recommendations?

The dealer is going to bring it and set it up at the house.

/ Kubota L4701 package deal advice needed #9  
The 2555 with a BH & FEL is 8,000 Lbs. so if you add any attachments the weight can be near 10,000 Lbs. Then figure 3000 Lbs trailer. The 3/4 ton's from the big 3 all have +/-. The HD F150 could tow it if lat terrain and not an every day event. I'd stay clear of the new Titan, though the old ones are solid trucks. Gas make sense vs. Diesel, unless you rack up 150K miles or more and tow very frequently. Keep it simple.

The only plans I had for towing it were to the dealer for repairs that I can't do. It's fairly flat terrain, and not far. I do have some towing planned for other things, but that tops out at 6k lbs or way less.