Kubota L4701 Sometimes Stalls When Moving Forward with HST Pedal

/ Kubota L4701 Sometimes Stalls When Moving Forward with HST Pedal #11  
This winter I've been having a problem with the tractor where it starts fine, and then when I press the HST pedal to move forward it stalls. If I leave off the pedal quickly it will not stall and RPMs will come back up. Interestingly, when pressing the pedal for reverse it does not stall.

Is that typical of a seat switch problem? I would have thought that it would prevent me from going forward and reverse not just forward.
I ran into the same problem before christmas. The engine would lug to the point of stalling in fwd or rev with auto-throttle and stall-guard active. Going to full throttle and putting the HST pedal to the floor would get past the stall point and it would drive me back to the shop.

I was near my next major service interval and I went to the dealer to pick up parts and fluids. I talked with the service manager - he said they were booked solid for the next 2 weeks, but after describing the issue he said the issue sounded electrical to him. On the models with the drive-by-wire servo actuated HST, he said the only failures he's seen are with the actual fwd/rev servo mechanisms. He said it typically happens around snow clearing season, especially with guys who operate along salt covered roads.

I told him I've been operating a lot in the rain and deep mud recently.

He told me that if there was a hydraulic pump issue I would be hearing bad noises and the engine wouldn't stall. The likely issue was that both fwd and rev hydraulic circuits were trying to be active at the same time and acting as an engine brake. If my pump was bad oil would simply blow by. He said these hydraulic pumps on the M59 are robustly built and he's never seen one fail.

He suggested checking and cleaning all the electrical contacts to start with, sometimes salt gets in and corrodes the contacts. At worst he said I may need to change out the servos, they had them in stock and they were only a couple hundred bucks. He gave me the parts diagrams and suggested I give it a try before booking a service call.

I bought some contact cleaner spray and cleaned the harness contacts from the servos and to the HST pedal. On the M59 the servo harness clips are a SOB to get at unless you have alien long skinny hands and fingers. I could only get at the top one off with a set of 18" forceps and a straw on the contact cleaner spray.

I let everything dry thoroughly, re-assembled and am driving around without any problems for over a month now.

Last edited:
   / Kubota L4701 Sometimes Stalls When Moving Forward with HST Pedal #12  
On the economy Ls (3000 series at least) its a mechanical HST pedal, not electronic like in the Grand Ls or bigger machines.

/ Kubota L4701 Sometimes Stalls When Moving Forward with HST Pedal
The seat switch appears to be doing its job, but the complaint you have is that the Hydro pedal safety switch is out of adjustment. it is located under the LF running board and just ahead of the LH rear axle housing. You need to unplug the wiring connector from the switch, loosen the jam nut holding the switch, turn the switch in one turn. Tighten the jam nut, plug in the wiring connector and go play.
Thanks. I'll check that. What does LF and LH stand for?

Went out to troubleshoot the problem today. It was warmer in the 40s and I let the tractor warm up for a while. Did not encounter the problem at all except when getting off the seat. I did notice that the lever for the seat switch sprung back easily, whereas last time I checked it did not.

/ Kubota L4701 Sometimes Stalls When Moving Forward with HST Pedal #16  
Went out to troubleshoot the problem today. It was warmer in the 40s and I let the tractor warm up for a while. Did not encounter the problem at all except when getting off the seat. I did notice that the lever for the seat switch sprung back easily, whereas last time I checked it did not.
Next time it starts acting up, leave the hydrostat pedal in neutral and engage the PTO. If the seat switch is causing the problem, the engine will die in about 1 to 2 seconds.
If engaging the PTO does not shut the engine off, step on the hydrostat pedal leaving the PTO ON. If it dies in about 1 to 2 seconds, the failure is the hydro pedal safety switch.

Next time it starts acting up, leave the hydrostat pedal in neutral and engage the PTO. If the seat switch is causing the problem, the engine will die in about 1 to 2 seconds.
If engaging the PTO does not shut the engine off, step on the hydrostat pedal leaving the PTO ON. If it dies in about 1 to 2 seconds, the failure is the hydro pedal safety switch.
Thank you. I will certainly try that.

/ Kubota L4701 Sometimes Stalls When Moving Forward with HST Pedal #18  

In the past, several people have reported issues with safety switches sticking in freezing weather. Is the tractor stored outdoors where it can get rain/snow on it?

In the past, several people have reported issues with safety switches sticking in freezing weather. Is the tractor stored outdoors where it can get rain/snow on it?
It is stored in a barn. It was definitely sticking in the cold weather, though I'm not sure how it would be sticking up when I'm in the seat. Not sure.

/ Kubota L4701 Sometimes Stalls When Moving Forward with HST Pedal #20  
I had the same issue. Found out the foam seat froze and wouldn't activate or maintain pressure on the switch if motion occurred. Pulled it out, checked the connections, they were all fine and so I zip tied that switch down.

Warranty and liability are always a concern when bypassing safety equipment. So now I'll occasionally ask my wife what to do if there's ever a tractor accident, once everybody is safe of course, and she always answers, "flip the seat and cut the zip ties" haha.