Buying Advice Kubota L4701 vs Yanmar L4900 (same darn tractor???)

/ Kubota L4701 vs Yanmar L4900 (same darn tractor???) #1  

tawster

Tractor
IH 444
I am pulling my hair out...

My wife and I have boiled down our "next tractor" decision to a Kubota L4701 or a Yanmar L4900.

On paper, they are nearly identical...
  • Engine HP: Yanmar is 48.5 to Kubota's 47.3 (negligible).
  • PTO HP: Yanmar is 35.0 to Kubota's 37.8 -- odd reversal, but small difference -- something to do with Yanmar being a Turbo diesel?
  • Yanmar has direct injection (turbo) and Kubota common rail (negligible difference -- I think)
  • Yanmar can have a mid-PTO (optional) but not default
  • Yanmar is heavier by about 300 pounds
  • Yanmar makes every part, but Kubota makes most, I believe
  • The dealers nearby are equally excellent
  • 3pt lower links are both the same telescoping design from what I can tell

The "big" differences...
  • The Kubota is somewhat cheaper by a few thousand, but I bet we can negotiate Yanmar down
  • Yanmar has a 5 year warrantee on the powertrain versus 2 years for Kubota
  • The loader control lever: Yanmar, next to you on the right (arm doesn't have to reach) -- Kubota has level to right of instrument panel (you have to reach)
  • Yanmar is a pretty yellow and black... Kubota an ugly orange

So... This is looking to boil down to loader lever placement and color.

Help! There *has* to be something more to judge this by. They both seem to be excellent tractors. I need someone else to decide. And no, I can't purchase both. :)
Exasperating.

/ Kubota L4701 vs Yanmar L4900 (same darn tractor???) #2  
:welcome:
To TBN twaster. I gues you HAVE decided.... Are they both offering 0% for 5 years?

/ Kubota L4701 vs Yanmar L4900 (same darn tractor???) #3  
If you lived in Cuba, Zimbabwe, Venezuela or North Korea you would not be plagued with this difficult choice.

/ Kubota L4701 vs Yanmar L4900 (same darn tractor???) #4  
The Kubota will retain value better than the Yanmar.

You are less likely to lose the orange Kubota in a large, verdant field. You will feel safer on the orange tractor during hunting season; Yanmars are sometimes mistaken for pheasants. If you think the current Kubtoa orange is ugly, you have not encountered the OLD orange.

Personally, I am not keen on turbo-chargers, although emissions standards are forcing them. Too many additional parts, rotating too fast. Turbo-chargers always died on 1960's cars at 35,000 miles. Perhaps better today.

I would rather read about other people's turbo-chargers HERE, than own one myself.

Same tires on both tractors?

Last edited:
   / Kubota L4701 vs Yanmar L4900 (same darn tractor???)
:welcome:
To TBN tawster. I gues you HAVE decided.... Are they both offering 0% for 5 years?
Our choice, yes, Yanmar (assuming I can talk down the price) unless someone can help find something different about these besides color and loader lever position.

As for 0% for 5 years, yes, actually, I think they are both offering that. But we would be paying cash.

Anyone have an opinion on the loader lever position? Does the Kubota one suck over time (i.e., does your arm get tired?)

If you lived in Cuba, Zimbabwe, Venezuela or North Korea you would not be plagued with this difficult choice.
Err... what? You are correct. Fortunately, I don't live in those countries. So, sure, #FirstWorldProblems but when I am outlaying a significant amount of investment that is not painless by any stretch, and I do have options, I want to make the best one.

The kubota will retain value much better than the Yanmar.
Hmm... interesting. Something to think about. Considering Yanmar's outstanding reputation -- especially for their engines, this is a bit surprising.

/ Kubota L4701 vs Yanmar L4900 (same darn tractor???) #7  
I have used my loader a lot and never had a problem. It reminds me of the old Cat I used to run.

/ Kubota L4701 vs Yanmar L4900 (same darn tractor???) #8  
You do NOT want a mid-PTO on a 45-hp+ tractor. You will have enough frustration with the rear PTO splines gumming up with dirt and dried lube. Forward facing mid-PTO is worse and another collection of moving parts to go wrong that is also vulnerable to hitting ground obstacles. I can't think of anything a mid-PTO can do that a rear PTO cannot do.

It is a little different if you want to blow snow from the driveway or mow the yard with a Kubota 'BX' or 'B'.

Are the operating station floors equally flat? The Kubota L's, not Grand L's, used to have a tiresome hump where your feet go.

Look underneath and consider if the Kubota or Yanmar is better shielded from brush, rocks and other stuff that claws at everything routed there, including mid-PTO.

Both tractors with HST transmissions?

Paying cash will potentially get you a better net, net deal than '0' financing, by a bit. However, as I see inflation returning, I did buy my L3560 with five year, '0' percent financing for that reason.

AND THANKS FOR SUCH A CLEAR, WELL WRITTEN #3 POST. I HOPE YOU STICK AROUND HERE. I ATTEMPT HUMOR FROM TIME TO TIME.

Last edited:
   / Kubota L4701 vs Yanmar L4900 (same darn tractor???) #9  
Anyone have an opinion on the loader lever position? Does the Kubota one suck over time (i.e., does your arm get tired?)

I've had an orange one almost 15 years - trouble free at 1,200 hours with no repair shop visits, by the way - and the FEL lever position was never any issue at all. It's right next to the steering wheel, where the right hand would otherwise be.

That said, you really can't go wrong with either of the tractors you're considering. Yanmar and Kubota both design and build all the major components in their equipment and do not re-brand another manufacturers product. Both Yanmar and Kubota make some of the finest small diesel engines in the world. Kubota has a much bigger footprint in the US tractor market and more dealers. Yanmar is trying to get back into the US market and may give you a sweeter deal (sharpen your pencil!).

One advantage the Yanmar has is the LX4900 is still an Interim Tier IV for emissions and the Kubota L4701 is full Tier IV with more emission controls. Many tractor shoppers express worries about the latest emission controls, although those with the new models don't seem to have major problems so far.

If you like that yellow and black color, better go for it... I understand the Yannies will be going to red (maybe with a hint of orange :D ) in the future. Good luck!

Thanks everyone. Lot's to think about.

So, what have we learned...?
  • Turbocharge (Yanmar) maybe something to avoid.
  • Tier IV (Kubota) may ALSO be something to avoid -- jury still out on service history over time
  • Mid-PTO is optional on Yanmar, but... don't get it
  • Loader control next to wheel (Kubota) or next to hip (Yanmar) is a personal preference more than a usability issue.
  • Both are well respected manufacturers though Kubota currently has a bigger footprint (though Yanmar is growing rapidly)
  • Check underneath for flaws in design
  • That orange is god-awful, IMHO -- Yellow and Black is sooooo much prettier
  • Apparently, North Korea is just lovely in the summer

Heh. So... maybe I will just punt to my wife to decide since she will be using it more. :)

And to answer the random other questions: Yes, the floors are equally flat. The Yanmar has a nice rubber covering as well that is easy to remove and clean. Yes, both HST (which is what we want). They are really almost the same darn tractor! Ugh!