Kubota L5030 HSTC Heater Fan Repair

/ Kubota L5030 HSTC Heater Fan Repair #1  

slowzuki

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HSTC, MF 5455, Kubota M120, Allis Chalmers 7010
Just for folks reference, at about 2000 hours my heater fan gave out. Pulled the cab roof off and popped the fan out. Brushes worn out and the copper leads ran against the commutator down to the ceramic in the middle.

I thought it might be 100$ for the motor, nope, 700$ at our dealer. Try crossing the motor at NAPA, electric motor shop etc no luck, found one online at a motor shop in england. Surplus Centre has one that is almost right but couldn't be sure the shaft was right for blower wheel for 10$ but its a pain buying from the US here. Its a 0.266" shaft (I think that it was 7mm or something )close) 60 mm diameter motor.

Motor is made by Denso of Japan that supply oem motors and heaters to RV manufacturers etc and seem to supply Kubota as well. They don't sell parts though.

So chucked the armature into the lathe and turned down the commutator to flatten it out some and cleaned the gaps out. Couldn't clean it all the way or it would knock the segments off. Went to starter / alt shop and was given some old dodge brushes of similar hardness for free then filed them down to fit the brush holders. Soldered the new brushes in with old heavier copper braid leads in parallel with vice grips pinched on to stop solder from sucking up the braid.

Reassembled with a drop of oil in the bushings and the blower runs like new! 700$ saved for about 1 hour actual work.

/ Kubota L5030 HSTC Heater Fan Repair #2  
So chucked the armature into the lathe and turned down the commutator to flatten it out some and cleaned the gaps out. Couldn't clean it all the way or it would knock the segments off. .... filed them down to fit the brush holders. Soldered the new brushes in with old heavier copper braid leads in parallel with vice grips pinched on to stop solder from sucking up the braid.

Is this english? :D That paragraph alone is worth $700.00. If you are not a mechanic you should be. Good description on the repair! You did make a youtube of the repair, right?

/ Kubota L5030 HSTC Heater Fan Repair
Lol I'm just cheap, I don't know any mechanics now that would open an electrical component! I should have taken pics or video but I'm afraid I never think of it until after. I have to do the axle seal again, I'll try to get that one.

Is this english? :D That paragraph alone is worth $700.00. If you are not a mechanic you should be. Good description on the repair! You did make a youtube of the repair, right?

/ Kubota L5030 HSTC Heater Fan Repair #4  
I had the same situation with my L5030 HST at around 1200 hours. My commutator was ruff but not nearly warn out. It dressed up nicely in the lathe. I would say these Denso motors are a little on the cheap side!!

To replace the brushes, I measured the old ones, then got on the net and found Eurton Electric. They seem to have just about every brush imaginable. Part # 33G (.22" x .22" x .53") pretty much fills the bill. I, of course, screwed up and ordered a slightly larger set which I also sanded down to size...

Fan runs good. Brush cost, $7.35. I had to get two sets because there is a $10.00 minimum.

Bah! 600 hours later my cheap repair has failed again and not enough commutator left to work with. Gonna try a surplus centre version.

/ Kubota L5030 HSTC Heater Fan Repair #6  
IMG_5162.JPGIMG_5173.JPGIMG_5176.JPGIMG_5178.JPG

2007 kubota with 1700 hours. at 700$ figured the cost kubota wanted was on the disgusting side. I had the commutator turned by a starter, motor guy so I'm hoping the repair will last. if I get 600 hours, that will be great considering I just use it to stay warm.

/ Kubota L5030 HSTC Heater Fan Repair #7  
Thanks for posting your repair. Let us know how it works once installed.

So my repair failed again, found 1980-1986 Toyota Corolla uses the same blower motor. 35$ on rock auto. Works perfectly. Day after installing it I checked and Kubota has dropped their price to 90$ from 900$. Well that would have saved me hours of searching for a cross reference!

/ Kubota L5030 HSTC Heater Fan Repair #9  
Excellent! Know you and others know why it does this.

I love doing failure analysis and tear downs.

/ Kubota L5030 HSTC Heater Fan Repair #10  
So my repair failed again, found 1980-1986 Toyota Corolla uses the same blower motor. 35$ on rock auto. Works perfectly. Day after installing it I checked and Kubota has dropped their price to 90$ from 900$. Well that would have saved me hours of searching for a cross reference!
Gday. Wondering if you could help a fellow out? I also have the blower fan fail. Its barely turning to the point I have to bang on the roof. That basically don't work anymore. My question is how do one take that blower out. I took the roof off but it don't look like I can get there. Does it have to be taken out from the inside? If so, I would have to take all the vents and other nicnacs thats on there. Just trying to save some time in getting it out. Thanks in advance.