Kubota L6060 vis a vis JD 4066R ROPS

/ Kubota L6060 vis a vis JD 4066R ROPS #1  

SDT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Multiple Fords and Kubotas
Soon I will be buying a large hydrostat CUT to replace my 44 PTO HP MF 533. The tractor will be used as my "first round" tractor to pull a heavy Woods BB720X 6' cutter.

I spend a great deal of time cutting in my various irregular, some steep, parcels due to continual reversing to back beneath trees and other obstacles. A hydrostat is ideal for this task. Once the parcels are cut in with a "Cadillac round" or two, I switch off to one of my bigger tractor/mower combinations to finish up. Because I spend more time making the first round or two than mowing the remainder of some parcels, a hydrostat "first round" tractor/mower will save considerable time. Due to trees and other obstacles I must use a ROPS tractor as a cab would be too susceptable to damage.

I have investigated the Kubota L6060 and, to a lesser extent, the comparable JD 4066R.

I like the ePTO offered on the JD (not available on the Kubota), though I do not know how often I will be able to use it as I am often in heavy stuff using over 40 HP. I also very much like the rear fender mounted creep and lift controls (again not available on the Kubota) very helpful when hitching implements. Though the JD engine is smaller displacement, it is intercooled and produces rated HP ar 200 RPM less than the Kubota. PTO HP is nearly identical. I'm old school and like engines that operate at lower RPM. Indeed, this is my most liked feature of my MF 533 (2007 version of the 135). The 3 cylinder, long stroke, underrated, normally aspirated, 202 CI, Perkins engine produces rated 44 PTO HP at 2,200 RPM and PTO speed is about 1,750 RPM. The torque rise is phenominal and it also sips fuel. Aside from the much liked engine, the 533 is very basic, e.g., 4X2 crash box, 2WD, dry drum brakes, etc.

On the other hand the tire selection of the JD leaves much to be desired. R4 tires, which I would specify, for this tractor, are only available with one piece, non adjustable rims. In order to get bolt together 2 piece rims, one must order R2 tires, which would be acceptable to me if they were larger. The only AG tire selection is 13.6X28/8X16, which is simply too small for a 50 PTO HP tractor. They are also 4 ply rated, which is inadequate. The Kubota is available with 14.9X26 6 ply rated R2 tires or R4 tires, either on bolt together, adjustable rims. I DO NOT like one piece rear rims.

Other features of the tractors are similar though the Kubota is a bit heavier and has a more sophisticated hydrostatic transmission.

Either tractor would be bought with a non self leveling FEL with third function valve, two rear remotes (2 levers, 4 couplings), 2 rear weights per side (no liquid ballast, as I change my own tires) and a full set of front weights.

I have a good relationship with my local CNH/Kubota dealer, which is only 5 miles away, though they are not known for selling at the best pice. Indeed, I just bought a Kubota M9960HSD12 ROPS (delivered the day before yesterday) to replace one of my other, larger finishing-up tractor. I have no experience with any of the local JD dealers, which are all between 20 - 30 miles distant, so I would be rolling the dealer dice. I rolled the dice when I bought my 2 MF tractors and lost.

Anyone have anything to offer regarding the Kubota L6060/JD4066R comparison?

Thanks, in advance.

SDT

/ Kubota L6060 vis a vis JD 4066R ROPS #2  
I can't comment on these two in particular except to say that personally I'd get another tractor from the same dealership just to keep things simple and avoid as you say "rolling the dice".

Also, I'd mention looking at the MX5800 in the Kubota lineup. It should have about the same HP as the L6060 and if you don't need a cab it might save you many thousands of dollars over the Grand L. Of course it won't have as many features, but that may or may not be of concern to you. Just thought I'd mention it in case you hadn't noticed it as an option.

/ Kubota L6060 vis a vis JD 4066R ROPS #3  
I'd personally choose the L6060 over the 4066.

But should should give the Massey 1758 a hard look. I've had excellent ownership experiences with my two Massey HST CUT tractors

/ Kubota L6060 vis a vis JD 4066R ROPS
Though I bought two new MFs recently, 2007, 533 and 2012, 2635, I've bought my last. Neither AGCO nor my MF dealer has treated me well, and both MFs are being replaced (the 2635 was replaced this past Friday with a Kubota). I consider this unfortunate, as I have no aversion to Iseki and would have considered a 4610 rather than the Kubota M9960HD12 that I just bought because I could have bought it for $5,000 - $6,000 less and it too has the 6 speed synchronized - hydraulic shuttle transmission that I wanted. The MF hydrostats are not quite powerful enough for my needs.

I am leaning towards the Kubota L6060 but would really like to have ePTO and fender mounted lift and creep controls offered on the 4066R. Rolling the dealer dice again is something that I do not want to do so I may have to forego these features as, according to the reports from the latest Kubota dealer's meeting, none are in Kubota's foreseeable plans for the 6060.

FWIW, my aversion to MF has much more to do with how AGCO and my MF dealer have treated me than the machines themselves. Though I have had issues with both of my MFs and neither are built to the standards of a Kubota (JD?), I was well aware of this when I bought both. The story is much too long to relate but MF/AGCO has permanently lost me due to poor after the sale customer support. Never again.

Thanks for your advise.

SDT

/ Kubota L6060 vis a vis JD 4066R ROPS #5  
Though I bought two new MFs recently, 2007, 533 and 2012, 2635, I've bought my last. Neither AGCO nor my MF dealer has treated me well, and both MFs are being replaced (the 2635 was replaced this past Friday with a Kubota). I consider this unfortunate, as I have no aversion to Iseki and would have considered a 4610 rather than the Kubota M9960HD12 that I just bought because I could have bought it for $5,000 - $6,000 less and it too has the 6 speed synchronized - hydraulic shuttle transmission that I wanted. The MF hydrostats are not quite powerful enough for my needs.

I am leaning towards the Kubota L6060 but would really like to have ePTO and fender mounted lift and creep controls offered on the 4066R. Rolling the dealer dice again is something that I do not want to do so I may have to forego these features as, according to the reports from the latest Kubota dealer's meeting, none are in Kubota's foreseeable plans for the 6060.

FWIW, my aversion to MF has much more to do with how AGCO and my MF dealer have treated me than the machines themselves. Though I have had issues with both of my MFs and neither are built to the standards of a Kubota (JD?), I was well aware of this when I bought both. The story is much too long to relate but MF/AGCO has permanently lost me due to poor after the sale customer support. Never again.

Thanks for your advise.

SDT

Ah I remember, sorry... Forgot about your dealer issues.

For what it's worth, you're not correct when you say "Massey's hydrostats aren't powerful enough" ... When you're considering a comparable tractor from JD and Kubota. A few PTO HP on paper isn't going to be noticed.

It's unfortunate that you had issues with the particular Massey branded tractors you had... Like I've pointed out before, the Iseki premium compacts are nothing like the TAFE (2635) or your 533. I'm not sure who built your 533. From memory I want to say it was built in Italy or Turkey, but I'm not sure. Either way, you wouldn't be disappointed with the Iseki builds.

Kubota's and JD's are good machines of course, you won't go wrong with them either.

But "don't bite off your noise to spite your face."

/ Kubota L6060 vis a vis JD 4066R ROPS #6  
The L6060 has a high low in addition to the 3 range transmission and I feel that is a plus for this model. The 4066R has enough additional power and the e pto that would make this a toss up for mowing work. Wish we had up to date tests from Nebraska for these tractors but haven't seen them yet. The prior Deere 4720 tested higher than the listed specs, according to Nebraska test it was 58 hp. Don't know about the Kubota but it would seem to be lower power.

I suspect both of these tractors would do a great job for your intended use. Since you have larger tractors for the heavy pulling the high low transmission in the Kubota would seem less important imo. Having the higher pto hp rating in the Deere would be a real plus for mowing. For heavy box blading which I do often I would prefer the high low transmission that the Kubota has, drive forward in low and backup quickly in high all day.

Both of these are very good compacts imo, pick the one you like the best. Really that is about all any of us can do.

/ Kubota L6060 vis a vis JD 4066R ROPS #7  
The L6060 has a high low in addition to the 3 range transmission and I feel that is a plus for this model. The 4066R has enough additional power and the e pto that would make this a toss up for mowing work. Wish we had up to date tests from Nebraska for these tractors but haven't seen them yet. The prior Deere 4720 tested higher than the listed specs, according to Nebraska test it was 58 pto hp. Don't know about the Kubota but it would seem to be lower power.

I suspect both of these tractors would do a great job for your intended use. Since you have larger tractors for the heavy pulling the high low transmission in the Kubota would seem less important imo. Having the higher pto hp rating in the Deere would be a real plus for mowing. For heavy box blading which I do often I would prefer the high low transmission that the Kubota has, drive forward in low and backup quickly in high all day.

Both of these are very good compacts imo, pick the one you like the best. Really that is about all any of us can do.

Ah I remember, sorry... Forgot about your dealer issues.

For what it's worth, you're not correct when you say "Massey's hydrostats aren't powerful enough" ... When you're considering a comparable tractor from JD and Kubota. A few PTO HP on paper isn't going to be noticed.
QUOTE]

Actually, according to manufacturer's published data, the 1758 is rated 44.4 PTO HP whereas the L6060 is rated 53.0 PTO HP. That is a very significant and easily noticed difference and is one of the reasons that I will not consider the 1748. My 533 is rated 44 PTO HP. Though rare, I sometimes find myself in low range second gear. More HP is desireable.

SDT

The L6060 has a high low in addition to the 3 range transmission and I feel that is a plus for this model. The 4066R has enough additional power and the e pto that would make this a toss up for mowing work. Wish we had up to date tests from Nebraska for these tractors but haven't seen them yet. The prior Deere 4720 tested higher than the listed specs, according to Nebraska test it was 58 hp. Don't know about the Kubota but it would seem to be lower power.

The published PTO HP rating of the 4066R is 54, whereas that of the 6060 is 53, an insignificant difference.

Though I like the ePTO as it is effective in keeping RPMs down to save fuel and accumulated "hours," I am not certain how often I will be able to use it.

The hydraulically switchable Hi-Lo is, however, desireable and an issue that I had overlooked.

SDT

/ Kubota L6060 vis a vis JD 4066R ROPS #10  
Gosh seems like you are fully aware how big a difference a dealer can make.... Seems like a no brainer.