Kubota LA364 slow to lower, fast to raise

/ Kubota LA364 slow to lower, fast to raise #1  

KillerBeagle

Tractor
Kubota
Over time my LA364 loader (on a B2620) has gotten slower and slower to lower, while raising the bucket seems to be fine. I timed it as 12 seconds to lower from full height down to the ground, and 5 seconds to raise from the ground up to full height. If both directions were slower, I could understand the cause being a clogged filter or an issue with the pump, but only when going downwards, which I assume requires less work by the hydraulic system? Any thoughts as to possible cause?

/ Kubota LA364 slow to lower, fast to raise #2  
Does it drop normally (quickly) if you put in float? Try it only a few feet off the ground.

/ Kubota LA364 slow to lower, fast to raise #3  
Check and reseat your hydraulic quick connects.

/ Kubota LA364 slow to lower, fast to raise
Does it drop normally (quickly) if you put in float? Try it only a few feet off the ground.
In the 4 years I have had it (bought used with 200 hours) I have never been able to get the float feature to work. I have read up on how to do it, but nothing happens.

/ Kubota LA364 slow to lower, fast to raise #5  
X2 on checking and reseating the couplers

I found today that if I push forward really hard (much harder than I used to), the bucket will lower at its old normal speed. I wonder if the control valve is failing?

/ Kubota LA364 slow to lower, fast to raise #7  
I found today that if I push forward really hard (much harder than I used to), the bucket will lower at its old normal speed. I wonder if the control valve is failing?
Just the bucket? or the whole loader?

The loader SHOULD have a float function. Push forward is power down....push harder forward and there should be a noticeable second stage of the lever that locks in place and thats float.

Pushing harder getting it to drop faster may just have some crud in the can. You can remove it.....couple of bolts......its on the back side of the valve and houses the return spring/float detent.

Did you ever try reseating the couplers?

/ Kubota LA364 slow to lower, fast to raise #8  
My guess is you have rust and crud in the bottom cup of the valve, I had the same problem. The crud prevents the spool from travelling all the way forward, which explains why you don't have a float as well. It's easy to take the cup off assuming you can get at it. Some tractors you have to remove a bunch of covers to get at it, mine happened to be really easy. A common "upgrade" is to drill a small hole at the lowest point on the cup so that any water that leaks in or condenses can run out.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm clearing space in the shop so I can bring it inside for its annual maintenance, and I'll give all the ideas a try: new fluid (it's time anyway), check and reseat quick connects, check cup under control valve.