Kubota M5660SUHD Need Experienced Info

/ Kubota M5660SUHD Need Experienced Info #1  

nwut05

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland T-1510, T 4.75
Hello, I have recently sold my New Holland Workmaster 60. After 2 of them in 2 Years i am looking hard at other brands and have got what i think is a really good quote on an M5660SUHD W Loader and grille guard. Under $32 OTD. Will negotiate for the canopy before deal is done. Anyway here is my question Weight......The back tires will be loaded but is it enough? or do i need to add the rear wheel weights or possibly opt for the cast wheels? I know it weighs less than my Workmaster 60 did but with Loader only a few hundered lbs give or take. So i need some im-put here. General Farming chores and square and round baling with a 5x4 case baler intended use.

** Also the dealer made a big deal out of the front tires being wider than normal R1's and they were, but still they were R1's just wider like an R4, and while he loved them i had the thought they may be great for some things and bad for others (aka plowing). Any suggestion here also?

/ Kubota M5660SUHD Need Experienced Info #2  
VIDEO: Kubota M566 Walk Around/ Driving Demo - YouTube

If you have doubt about traction while shopping, order optional 4-WD.

You are unlikely to be able to Load bucket to capacity all the time without 4-WD, as maybe 1,000 pounds (??) of tractor weight shifts forward when bucket is low.
( LA1154SU Loader weighs 1,550 pounds.) ((M5660SUHD bare tractor weighs ~4,300~ pounds.))

Wide R1 front wheels/tires are probably to support 2,500 pound LA1154SU Loader lift capacity. That is a LOT of front weight.

Kubota M5660, M6060 and M7060 are variations on one tractor, trimmed differently. Kubota sells big numbers of these related models.

I used to pass through the Tri-Cities regularly on business. Overnighted in Bristol or Abingdon many times.
The general topography is rolling hills. Is your land flat or does tractor stability on sloping ground a consideration?

For max traction I recommend air filled R1/ag tires and cast wheel centers.
For hillsides I might change that to R1/ag tires spread wide with rear tires filled with beet juice either 50% full or 75% full. (You cannot use a moldboard plow unless center of rear tires lines up with center of front tires when right side wheels/tires are sunk in a plow furrow.)

Last edited:
   / Kubota M5660SUHD Need Experienced Info #3  
Re the extra wide R1 tyre. If you do loader work on soft ground, the wide tyres will make far less rutting than the standard narrow front tyres.ie feeding out large round bales in spring or winter. You don't say your soil type, but on peat, volcanic ash and clay soils wide tyres are the way to go to reduce ruts.

/ Kubota M5660SUHD Need Experienced Info #4  
I run loaded R1's on my L4240+a rear implement of some sort and it is still light in the rear.I would recommend all the extra weight you can;I.E. wheel weights or the cast wheels.

/ Kubota M5660SUHD Need Experienced Info #5  
Every tractor has different ballast points and there are no two the same. Your loader mounting points and relationship to the tractor make a difference. We normally always go with the cast centers and with two sets of wheel weights they do not stick out past the tires. There are times that we will load the rear if the tractor is going to be used for just loader work even on top of the cast centers and weights! It does use horsepower to move weight! They do burn more fuel! With ag tires doing normal work the fluid filled tires will never equal cast weight for traction. The fluid takes the ag tires ability to flex during operation and causes a traction loss of about 25% compared to just air! On industrial tires the side wall of the tire is so stiff that the advantage goes away. Before you make it a tank make sure that is what you want! You will hinder potential performance!

/ Kubota M5660SUHD Need Experienced Info
Ok, Thanks for the input so far.. Yes my terrain is hilly and yes i do plan on spreading the rear tires some but cannot go too far due to trailer and fender width. I didn't have any problems with the New Holland and weight but I have just always heard about how light the Kubotas were/are. I will almost always have a rear implement of some kind on the tractor and did so with the new holland, especially while using loader. My brush cutter weighs in at 850lbs and my grader blade comes in at around 800 so either one of those will be back there. I will definitely load the tires however it will be with the methanol blend and not the beet juice. Just nobody around here has much of the stuff and every dealer i know just uses the methanol.

/ Kubota M5660SUHD Need Experienced Info #7  
Ok, Thanks for the input so far.. Yes my terrain is hilly and yes i do plan on spreading the rear tires some but cannot go too far due to trailer and fender width. I didn't have any problems with the New Holland and weight but I have just always heard about how light the Kubotas were/are. I will almost always have a rear implement of some kind on the tractor and did so with the new holland, especially while using loader. My brush cutter weighs in at 850lbs and my grader blade comes in at around 800 so either one of those will be back there. I will definitely load the tires however it will be with the methanol blend and not the beet juice. Just nobody around here has much of the stuff and every dealer i know just uses the methanol.

The difference in what you will be using to weight the tires is the weight!! Beet juice is heavier!

/ Kubota M5660SUHD Need Experienced Info #8  
Looking at the TractorData.com website, that Kubota is lighter than the NH. Loaded tires will certainly help. Cast iron wheel weights will too.

Capability of a FEL on a farm tractor is a bit more complicated than just rear wheel ballast and the total mass of the tractor. What is the front-to-rear weight distribution? (center of gravity) Where does the loader frame attach to the tractor, relative to the COG? What is the rake (angle) of the loader lift arms? ETC.
For example, my cousin has a pair of Kubota M9540 tractors. Both have a cab, FEL, and are MFWD. I have a NH TN70A, open staion, FEL, MFWD. The weight of the tractors are close. He has a 6x5.5 round baler. My NH, which has no added ballast, will lift and load those bales. He had to fill the rear tire on his Kubotas to lift the same bale of hay.

Last edited:
   / Kubota M5660SUHD Need Experienced Info #9  
Have a M7040SU which has the same "clutch back" as the M5660SUHD

Cast rears and fluid will keep it planted, I am stable picking up 4x5 bales with nothing on the 3pt. Never drove it otherwise, came from dealer set up that way, I'd say 95% of those tractors got a loader from new.

Don't worry on the wide tires, I have metric radials, basically 14" wide front tires and 17" wide on the back, I didn't even have to change my wheel spacing and I have no issues pulling a 3 furrow plow and turning a perfect furrow in sod.