3-Point Hitch Kubota M7060 & proper rotary cutter setup

/ Kubota M7060 & proper rotary cutter setup #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
I just started bush hogging with my new M7060 and noticed the cutter does not seem to follow the ground (tilt) properly. Draft control is typically used for soil engagement correct? With this said seems I want lever all the way back? What I don’t understand is sometimes when I lower the Bushhog it’s not going to the same cut position and doesn’t seem to follow the ground as good as it should. Tilt wise front lowering and raising etc. I also have a new land pride rotary cutter that works slightly different than my other bush hog brand. By this I mean the upper flex link system is designed differently than my Bush Hog cutters but seems should still adjust the same. Any input on how to properly adjust the tractor and cutter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

/ Kubota M7060 & proper rotary cutter setup #2  
You should be using the position control and set it so the front of the cutter is a few inches off the ground. The rear should be adjusted up a bit higher with the rear wheel.

Don't expect it not to scrape the ground a bit here and there, it's NOT a finish mower.

SR

/ Kubota M7060 & proper rotary cutter setup #3  
It's the nature of the beast. Unless you have perfectly level land there is no way a mower mounted on a 3 point hitch will perfectly follow the contour of the land. My place looks level - but there are multiple little dips and arroyos that are hardly noticeable until I mow them and watch the sides of the mower digging into the ground. Twice now I've welded 1/4" thick metal strap onto the sides of the mower where they have worn away from contact with the ground. I could avoid a lot of that by adjusting the mower height higher, but I mow mainly for fire protection so I want the stubble as short as possible.

/ Kubota M7060 & proper rotary cutter setup
I figured it out thanks. It was the cutter. The flexible link was basically flipped over so kinda locked in place. It’s a completely different design than my bush hog brand units so just didn’t realize what it should look like.

/ Kubota M7060 & proper rotary cutter setup #5  
I figured it out thanks. It was the cutter. The flexible link was basically flipped over so kinda locked in place. It’s a completely different design than my bush hog brand units so just didn’t realize what it should look like.
Glad you figured out the issue with the Landpride linkage. I use a 7ft Bush Hog on my MF2660 (and previously a 6ft Deere MX6 on a JD 4700 and a couple of smaller ones on older Kubotas) and in all cases I ended up preferring chain instead of the stiff steel straps and folding linkage near the top to allow the hog to ride up and down. I've bent those "straps" and various stiff members intended to stay limp or else under tension and never compression. I bent most of them and broke one in half on the 7ft hog. Most of the older guys I see bush hogging use chain. No matter which lift link you use (chain, factory straps or whatever) the rear wheel(s) should be setting rear height off the ground and the 3pt lift setting (position control) sets the front lip of the hog height off the ground. Agree with Sawyer Rob.

About the Draft Control: Absolutely it needs to be out of the picture. Only used for tilling, plowing and soil following work far different than rotary cutters. I doubt that 10% of tractor owners these days ever use Draft Control -- only ones doing plowing.

It’s funny on all my Fords The lever has to to be all the way in the down position. If you put it all the way back at the top the implement is just in the full up position. But from what I can tell on the Kabota the draft control should be all the way back in the up or higher position.

On all of my Ford’s with the position control all the way down and the draft control all the way up the implements in the up or elevated position which seems weird to me?

/ Kubota M7060 & proper rotary cutter setup #8  
It’s funny on all my Fords The lever has to to be all the way in the down position. If you put it all the way back at the top the implement is just in the full up position. But from what I can tell on the Kabota the draft control should be all the way back in the up or higher position.

On all of my Ford’s with the position control all the way down and the draft control all the way up the implements in the up or elevated position which seems weird to me?
Read your operators manual and see what lever placement takes Draft Control out of the picture.

I went back to the owners manual and it really doesn’t say draft control off. It mentions something like sensitive and float or something. Either way I will check again but after looking online the lever should be all the way down and forward. Funny thing is on the kubota I can’t really tell a difference either way so far. Lol

/ Kubota M7060 & proper rotary cutter setup #10  
See my post 7. All Kubota's are the same, new or old. Other tractors I cannot speak for.