Kubota MX5000 4wd or JD 5103

/ Kubota MX5000 4wd or JD 5103 #1  

Stackwood

Bronze Member
Tractor
2006 Kubota MX5000
Greetings. This forum has been a tremendous help in my efforts to decide what tractor to buy. I'm down to the wire now. Here's my situation:

We have 55 acres comprised of a hillside and 2 acre hilltop, plus 65 acres adjoining in our extended family, located in Middle Tennessee. About 30 acres total are/were pasture. About half that needs heavy bushogging to wrest it back from the forest, coupled with plenty of chainsaw work and brush burning. Some of the pasture is steep enough to scare you when you're crossways (we currently bushog with a 1962 MF 165). Bushogging will comprise over half the use of the tractor.

We've come to realize BH isn't enough. We're getting a modest livestock operation off the ground, mainly goats at first to combat the trees, more sheep and some cows later. Already grazing has shown to make a huge difference in BH requirements. To make feeding easier, we want to go to round bales, bought locally. Figure 1500#. To unload them, we'll need a FEL with bale spear. Additionally, we'll need to haul those bales up the steep part of the hill, about 25% grade, up the driveway. We figure we'll be carrying up two at a time, front and back. Speed won't matter.

We'll need to renovate pastures. A lot of them are small and tight and steep. We'll be spreading seed and fertilizer, and doing some ground engagement with a 3 pt hitch, 5' or 6' disc.

We burn wood and may eventually do some small scale commercial timbering, although the big trees are so beautiful I don't know if I'll ever have the heart to cut them.

We garden, and we keep threatening to put in an orchard.

Now for the tough part: Which tractor will best serve our needs? The Kubota is smaller and lighter at 3560 lbs. It's a bit more nimble, has 4wd and a quick detach loader (LA852). Removing the loader would make hogging easier on our irregular pastures. I'd get gear drive transmission.

The JD doesn't have the 4wd, but it's significantly bigger and cheaper, weighing in at 4700 lbs. and about $5000 less. The bucket pops off easily, but not the rest of the loader. It has a somewhat stronger 3 pt hitch and slightly stronger loader. It only comes with a gear drive. Both tractors are 50 hp.

What a tough call. Such a lot of money for a decision that will affect us for decades. I look forward to your counsel.

/ Kubota MX5000 4wd or JD 5103 #2  
If your looking at 4wd tractors, you may want to look at the JD5105 instead of the 5103.
Also, the Kubota M5040 is a comparable size & HP tractor which may be more suitable for all the tasks you listed. I am not sure, but I think that there are others on this site that have seen better prices on the M5040 than on the L series and the MX5000.
I've really been wanting to buy a new tractor, and the M5040 is the one I like best. I just don't have the $$ right now.

/ Kubota MX5000 4wd or JD 5103
I'll look into the M5040. Do you know how much they typically are? The JD 5103 runs about $17,400 with loader. The MX5000 with 4wd, LA852 loader, and liquid filled tires has been quoted to me at $22,500. Without the 4wd it's $17,700. I haven't beaten the bushes yet on price, because I'm still on the fence about which model.

Without the 4wd I'm concerned that the MX5000 will have trouble with the round bales on the FEL, although honestly I could use the hitch spear for everything but unloading trailers.

/ Kubota MX5000 4wd or JD 5103 #4  
I have looked at both of the tractors that you are discussing and have yet to buy. Here are a few observations I have learned:

1) Most 5103 owners are very happy with their machines and have no complaints about the shuttle.
2) Most owners rarely, if ever, remove their loaders. Even with quick park. I've demo'd and rented several machines to shred my pastures. It seems like every pass I'd make, I'd find something for the loader to do (knock down branches, pick up rocks, etc.).
3) I have not been on an mx5000, I'm sure it is a great machine. I have been on a 5103 and was impressed with it's handling. It handles more like a smaller tractor and was much more nimble than I expected. Others may disagree.
4) I don't know what you've been quoted, but 5103s with loader are going for about $17-$18k around here. Another $5k would put you in a more modern (more bells and whistles) John Deere 5105 or a 4120. Maybe you should look at those to compare to the mx5000.
5) In general, Kubota and New Holland finance rates are about a point lower on the longer term deals. Don't know if this is an issue, just thought you might want to know.
6) Most owners claim a properly ballasted and weighted 5103 does not need 4WD. I would think that if you got stuck you could use the loader to get unstuck. The 4WD would help with loader work, though.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Chip, I agree with the JD 5103 satisfaction level: I've yet to find a disappointed owner. People don't talk about it much, but 4wd units have been known to break (although I haven't uncovered any incidents with Kubota). 2wd has less to go wrong.

I hadn't thought about using the FEL to claw my way out. Years ago we had an ancient Case 530 backhoe that you really couldn't get stuck; when all else fails pull your way out backwards!

Your pricing for a 5103 seems right in line. I was quoted $17,400. $5000 saved would buy a lot of other stuff.

I drove a 5103 around a bit at the dealership. Very easy to drive. Collar shift is no big deal for us. One of my aspirations is to encourage my wife to use the new tractor for the independence and productivity. I think the Kubota would be a touch easier to manuevor in tight quarters. Decisions, decisions....

/ Kubota MX5000 4wd or JD 5103 #6  
I have the kubota 5700 4wd and love it , for me I would never go with 2wd. again , been there and didn't like it. With the slopes you are talking about, doing some timber work you may not either.As for anything breaking , I am on my 3rd. 4wd kubota without any problems ,one had a few thousands hrs. on it , the hour meter did give out on that one but that was all.
Good Luck,

Sounds like good advice, HEC. I haven't heard of a Kubota breaking. Glad to hear you've had such good luck with the 4wd. If my Suzuki is any example, it should make all the difference in bad situations.

Thanks for your two cents.

/ Kubota MX5000 4wd or JD 5103 #8  
You're right about the attachments. For about $25k I can have a 4120 eHydro, loader, 6'shredder and 6' box blade. For the same money, I can have a decked out 5103, 6' shredder, 6' box blade, 6' landscape rake, 6' rear blade, 20' trailer, iMatch, and toothbar. It comes down to more toys or easier operation. I'm afraid my wife would be more comfortable on a 4120...maybe the 5103 is looking better and better.

/ Kubota MX5000 4wd or JD 5103 #9  
Great topic!

I'd go with the JD 5103 for the difference in price, or I'd compare the 5103 with the M5040...of which, I'd pick the Bota.

All are very nice tractors. Good luck!

BC

I'd say you're right, the M5040 does compare more directly with the 5x03 series in weight, power, and ability. A 4wd version with FEL will set you back about 25k, right in line with John Deere's 5x05 series in 4wd. Everything is relative.

My head tells me to go with the bang for the buck Deere. My heart wants the spiffy 4wd orange machine to play with. I think my heart is winning. 20+ years is a long time to live with a regret.