Kubota or John Deer

/ Kubota or John Deer #101  
Actually just saw on a farming show this morning....26 h.p. and under tractors hold a 35% market share of ALL tractors sold.

I guess they must be real tractors? LOL

/ Kubota or John Deer
I use a cheap battery pump that inserts into the fuel canister. You will still need rest the fuel canister on a tall bucket so the hose will reach the fuel port on the tractor.

Battery Pump
Yeah I have already decided to buy one of those 100 gal truck tanks with a 12v pump and hose setup. I used to have one of those when I had heavy equipment to work with. I also looked at those plastic gas caddys that hold around 30 gals. The only problem with that is my fuel man won't just bring 30 gals out but he will for a 90 to 100 gal order. Also I can just leave it in one spot and not have to figure out how to elevate it to put fuel in the tractor.

/ Kubota or John Deer #103  
' Yes My Long term concern would be with the factories piston choice for Turbo / Non Turbo applications of the same Cubic displacement diesel engine.

That is what the FRED ran into with his Kubota Turbo upgrade conversion.

It ran Great for a while until it beat the piston ring lands out and then lost some compression.

Once he sourced the factory Kubota Turbo pistons that employ piston steel ring land inserts, all was well other than having to tear the engine down to replace the Normally aspirated pistons and rings.

Pure speculation as to the reason why FRED’s machine failed after 400 hours.

He made his own fueling adjustments and shockingly wasn’t monitoring any engine diagnostics or EGT temperatures. The likely scenario was run away combustion temperatures which lead to his pistons failing.

I don’t know his background or qualifications but, I’m not surprised it failed.

Mike

/ Kubota or John Deer #104  
Why would I even consider that? Not at all suited to what I do. Mine are large enough and I can actually turn them in a field, unlike that behemoth that needs a football field to change directions. In the grand scheme of things they might be a weine but that weinie is large enough to do what I need to accomplish.

That’s not what she said !
(;

/ Kubota or John Deer #105  
I hear ya. I got nothing against the guy, don't even know him, but like you say it gets tiring. If you hate small tractors so much why do you read all the small tractor threads, then have to tell us over and over again "I have no use" and "they are not real tractors"
5030 is my #1 on my ignore list. Makes perusing threads much more pleasant.

/ Kubota or John Deer #106  

He made his own fueling adjustments and shockingly wasn’t monitoring any engine diagnostics or EGT temperatures. The likely scenario was run away combustion temperatures which lead to his pistons failing.

Mike

OK that is Fair.

That does Not change the Fact that Kubota (at least in some engine sizes)
absolutely demands and specs a specific Turbo piston if used in their engines utilizing a turbo, even if it is possible Kubota uses lower boost than what your kit "may.".
If the engine were vetted on durability by running the engine for at least a couple thousand hours under load and boost the NA pistons are likely up to the task. 500 hours is barely broken in

I have no problem with Folks that want to add this Kit
Just worry about the durability if Kubota does have a different set of pistons available specifically made for boosted applications.
Maybe they only use one piston in this engine bore stroke configuration and it is more than up to the boost.

That is how Ford did it in the 1960's and 1970's
They used a steel insert top ring land on All the 2000-6000 series engines pistons,
Even the carbed gas ones.

If at 1000 hours these kitted tractors lose compression and need repaired.....

It wont be as simple as just removing "the kit". to restore the tractor to kubota operating stock condition.
The head and pan have to come off etc.
I Do Hope that the engines perform well long term.
Heck if I had this model and thought it was low on power I likely would want a kit myself.

Last edited:
   / Kubota or John Deer #107  

Mike

I wouldn’t even consider slapping a turbo on an underpowered machine. Maybe it works great but maybe the engine or any number or driveline parts can’t handle the additional power. And it’s more expense and effort than I’d want to put into it. I’d much rather buy something that’s up to the job I’m expecting.

/ Kubota or John Deer #108  
I wouldn’t even consider slapping a turbo on an underpowered machine. Maybe it works great but maybe the engine or any number or driveline parts can’t handle the additional power. And it’s more expense and effort than I’d want to put into it. I’d much rather buy something that’s up to the job I’m expecting.

And, that is why research and an understanding of the tractor and drivetrain is mandatory. The application is key, there is no “one size fits all” solution. I certainly wouldn’t throw a Turbo on “any” tractor.

The L2501, is unique that it shares its PTO train with its more power L Series tractors and is the perfect candidate for a Turbo system.

I can’t speak to any other tractor application or “backyard” Turbo system until I have thoroughly vetted it.

Mike

/ Kubota or John Deer #109  
OK that is Fair.

That does Not change the Fact that Kubota (at least in some engine sizes)
absolutely demands and specs a specific Turbo piston if used in their engines utilizing a turbo, even if it is possible Kubota uses lower boost than what your kit "may.".
If the engine were vetted on durability by running the engine for at least a couple thousand hours under load and boost the NA pistons are likely up to the task. 500 hours is barely broken in

I have no problem with Folks that want to add this Kit
Just worry about the durability if Kubota does have a different set of pistons available specifically made for boosted applications.
Maybe they only use one piston in this engine bore stroke configuration and it is more than up to the boost.

That is how Ford did it in the 1960's and 1970's
They used a steel insert top ring land on All the 2000-6000 series engines pistons,
Even the carbed gas ones.

If at 1000 hours these kitted tractors lose compression and need repaired.....

It wont be as simple as just removing "the kit". to restore the tractor to kubota operating stock condition.
The head and pan have to come off etc.
I Do Hope that the engines perform well long term.
Heck if I had this model and thought it was low on power I likely would want a kit myself.

And this is the problem. You’re grouping all tractors, all engines and all applications together. Each application is unique.

The L2501 and the D1703 engine and variants are well suited for a Turbo system. The engine and Turbo system should last thousands of hours assuming the user properly tunes the tractor, maintains it, and monitors the engine diagnostics along the way.

Mike

/ Kubota or John Deer #110  
He's been doing it for years and it gets old.
If I need a bigger tractor I'll buy one. But I don't !!
My weinie tractor does everything I need it to do.

A 90 HP utility tractor can be used for haying but most people doing very much of it start with a tractor of around 130 HP and can go up to 250-300 HP if they are running a triple disc mower. It would be too small to run a Discbine or a silage baler, and a lot too small to run a larger disc mower setup or a large square baler. You also aren't likely to be able to keep up with the cool kids running 10 MPH with a 10' 3 point disc mower in decent hay with only 90 HP either.

I was also wondering how long people would keep misspelling "weenie."

iu