Kubota or mahindra

/ Kubota or mahindra #281  
It's all about the fact that I want to compare what I am ACTUALLY paying. Not some number the salesman writes on paper to make me feel good....all the while hiding other costs in there to get the bottom like HE wants.

Obviously comparing used vehicles is hard because there are no two used vehicles alike.

But let's say you are shopping for a $30k vehicle....and you bring what you feel is a 10k trade to the table.

Two dealers may approach this differently.

Through barters one may keep raising the amount they will give you on trade. Maybe offer you $12k to make you feel good, while selling their vehicle at List of 30k.

Another dealer may only offer you 8k for trade but discount their vehicle to $24k.

They may have different delivery and doc fees. Or is one giving you an OTD price and the other gonna tack the tax on at the last moment.

Comparing monthly payment s takes all that into account.

And dealers have multiple avenues for lending. If you are only bartering on sales price....they have no incentive to make a few extra phonecalls to maybe save a percent or two.

About 3-4 years ago I traded in my 05 ram for a newer '16.

New one was listed for 34k and my trade, I felt was worth about $12k. Difference of 22k plus tax. I offered $20k cash plus trade OTD.

They came back and offered 12k for trade and kept theirs at $34k Add tax and other BS we were about $25k difference.

Through continued bartering they were eventually gonna give me $15k for trade but still sell me theirs for $34k but with tax we were still a few hundred over my $20k difference I was willing to pay.

Before I walked out....I asked the finance guy why they kept increasing my trade value rather than discount the truck. See, you pay tax on sales price of the new truck but get no credit for trade. I said why can't you sell me your truck for $27k (7k discount) and also give me 7k less for trade (down to 8k). Should make no difference to the dealer.....the only party involved getting less of my money is uncle Sam. They were dumbfounded that no one ever questioned that before. So through some creative rearranging of numbers...dealer got what they wanted, I got what I wanted, and uncle same got a few hundred less.

But again...it all comes down to what I am actually paying. I know what I am willing to spend....whether it be cash price or finance. And as such, I prefer not to negotiate on just a one of many parts that encompasses what I will have to pay for said vehicle. I like to include all aspects of it....and however the dealer wants to get creative with their number fudging to hit my target is none of my concern. If they cannot hit my target, I simply walk out

You have to pay sales tax on trade in value in Ohio? In TN trade value isn’t taxable and we just have to pay tax on the difference.

/ Kubota or mahindra #282  
Which is exactly why I wouldn't touch a Kubota with a ten foot pole. They are the lowest featured, worst designed tractors on the market. The controls are also terrible. And they're expensive. I guess the orange paint mesmerizes people. You can get a lot more tractor for the money elsewhere.
You should price tractors and compare Most of the major brands are not far off in price from each other for the same features.

/ Kubota or mahindra #283  

/ Kubota or mahindra #284  
Great discussion here. Thanks all for responding. These two brands were chosen bc of the dealers. I bought a zturn kubota from a local dealer and was thoroughly pleased with them. After talking w many in the construction business, I believe Kubota is well built. They’ll always be in consideration for me no matter what equipment I buy. As for Mahindra, I was considering them bc of a local dealer and the market success Mahindra has over the years. I sat in one at this dealer. It was a buy back auction unit purchased from Mahindra (it came from one of the dealers). I believe it was a 36xx. 40 hp w loader, cab, and a 3 yr warranty through the dealer. It was nice but I got an uneasy feeling when talking to the salesman. So scratch them but still wanted to consider the brand. The salesman said the lift load on the loader was 2700#. Wow. 2700? I’m not believing that at all. I use my tractor as a utility aid only. No fields or hay to move...just earth and materials. I’m buying this unit for basically two reasons: I want a cab bc we will eventually live in WY (snow clearing) and I’d like a little more lift capacity in front. My Kioti has been a great machine but the dealer network is thin across the country.
Several have asked why these two only. That’s a good question. I will open my mind to others. But in a nutshell, I’m going for quality, utility, and dealer support (and a cab).

Edit: I’ve not sat behind a kubota since the inventory is thin.
Also factor in Kubota offers 20% discount on the retail price of the tractor and implements (whatever the build price is on their website) if you are a member of the National Cutting Horse Association.

/ Kubota or mahindra #285  
You have to pay sales tax on trade in value in Ohio? In TN trade value isn’t taxable and we just have to pay tax on the difference.
Thats correct.

It is treated as if you are selling your trade in.......then taking that cash to purchase the new vehicle.

You are taxed on the full selling price of their vehicle.

So through the back and forth negotiations.....I like to see them discount the vehicle they are selling me rather than continuing to up my trade in value.

From initial negotiations to final deal.....I usually walk out of a dealer about $5000 less than their initial offer of something of $25k-$30k.

Take that $5k off trade and I save nothing. Take that $5k off the selling price and I save the 7.5% tax....or about $375 more in my pocket. All simply by changing a few numbers in the computer but showing the same bottom line for the dealer

/ Kubota or mahindra #286  
Thats correct.

It is treated as if you are selling your trade in.......then taking that cash to purchase the new vehicle.

You are taxed on the full selling price of their vehicle.

So through the back and forth negotiations.....I like to see them discount the vehicle they are selling me rather than continuing to up my trade in value.

From initial negotiations to final deal.....I usually walk out of a dealer about $5000 less than their initial offer of something of $25k-$30k.

Take that $5k off trade and I save nothing. Take that $5k off the selling price and I save the 7.5% tax....or about $375 more in my pocket. All simply by changing a few numbers in the computer but showing the same bottom line for the dealer
Are you sure about that? Its been quite a few years since I traded in but my trade in was tax free.

/ Kubota or mahindra #287  
I would not say that Mahindra = Kubota but I was not impressed with the video.

First, one cannot have an intelligent conversation without numbers. I'm calling BS on saying the metal on the FEL of the Mahindra is thinner based on tapping it with your knuckle. He may be right but get out some calipers and measure the difference. (I guess he would discredit a Martin acoustic guitar because it sounds hollow)

The water glass on the hood was laughable. One may vibrate more but that isn't a fair test at all. The slightest vibration on a steeper slope or a waxed surface is going to make the glass of water slide off a lot faster than if it was sitting on a flat hood. That proved nothing. He complained about feeling the vibration in the steering wheel on one tractor but I strongly suspect both have that issue.

One cannot just look at an axle and make a claim one is stronger than the other. A 3-inch axle could be as strong or stronger than a 5-inch axle depending on the quality of the material, what kind of material it's made of, and the specific design. Gussets greatly increase the strength of a beam etc. If you want to know which is stronger, put it on a press and see how many tons make each one bend an inch. My guess is 5 inches is better but my opinion means nothing either.

Even when he found something good about the Mahindra (the seating and controls arrangement) he could not just say it was good, he had to make side comments to wash away what was good he found with it. He obviously had a strong bias and maybe it was justifiable but he did little to prove it.

He made some interesting comments about Mahindra's possible issue with implements + bucket load COULD be exceeding the total GVWR. If you are going to go that far, go get the numbers and prove it.

I suspect Kubota is a better tractor but this didn't do anything to convince me of that opinion.
The analysis was speculative at best and laughable at worst.

Last edited:
   / Kubota or mahindra #288  
I no longer even watch Messick's vids, they are intended for folks who know nothing about the subject, so he can easily sway them his way...

I call those half truths, and mis information... I just don't like that kind of sales tactic...

SR

/ Kubota or mahindra #289  
Are you sure about that? Its been quite a few years since I traded in but my trade in was tax free.

I think that is what he said. Your trade in is tax free, you are taxed on the amount that you pay for the new car.

/ Kubota or mahindra #290  
Yes I'm sure.

No, you don't pay sales tax on your trade. Because you are the seller. The buyer is the one that pays.

Think if it this way.......you want a $30k vehicle.....you are paying tax on $30k no matter if you walk in the door with $10k cash, or a trade worth $10k.....you still pay your 7(ish) percent of the $30k.

What I am saying.....is rather than the above scenario.....I'd rather give them my trade for free....$0 on paper. And in turn just sell PE the new vehicle for $20k.

I'd rather pay tax on $20k than $30k. And makes no difference to the dealers bottom line