Kubota overheated!

/ Kubota overheated! #11  
I find it interesting that the OP stated his concern that the coolant temp gage was inoperative but never took the time to check the sending unit, nor the fuse, or anything and just carried on. The sending unit costs a whopping 20 bucks and is readily accessable to replace as well. Did the OP ever bother to check the coolant level in the coolant bottle? (his Kubota has a plastic coolant recovery bottle but you do have to put the hood up to observe it). Was the rad ever blown out? Was the water pump drive belt intact? Did he even bother to check anything at all or did he just jump on it and start mowing until the motor got so hot it started smoking?

Before I use either of my M9000's, I check ALL the fluid levels, look at the rad screens to make sure they are clean (which they usually are because they get cleaned before they are put in the barn).

In reality, there is no plausable excuse for lack of checking common everyday maintenance items, except a euchered engine and once a Kubota engine ties up (even if it restarts after it cools off), the internal damage is already done.

Tractors as well as motor vehicles of all types require daily maintenance checks and when you don't bother to perform them, bad things happen.

/ Kubota overheated! #12  
All these small tractors that are low to the ground....and barely large enough cooling systems anyway, need the screen in front of the radiator cleaned frequently.

I try and avoid mowing if its above 80. And keep to the cool of the morning, and the damp vegetation due to the dew keeps alot of the chaff from blowing around and plugging the radiator.

With regards to what damage you may or may not have done to the engine.....being on the internet and 100's or 1000's of miles away....NO ONE can answer that question.

But Id drain the oil ASAP and look for anything unusual. Metal shavings, etc. Check coolant level as well. and while the oil is drained, its not hard to drop the pan and pop the caps one at a time and look at the bearings.....and from the underside you can see the cylinder bores and see if you notice any deep scoring.

The bad.....you cannot inspect the cam or balance shafts.

I had an ordeal a few years back.....pre-covid and pre-rapid inflation. My engine was not rebuildable. And a new one back then was $7500 +/-

You may get lucky. Or this may turn into a costly lesson for you to keep an eye on that radiator screen.

Do you have K-tac insurance? Because that may just be a lifesaver

/ Kubota overheated! #13  
In reality, there is no plausable excuse for lack of checking common everyday maintenance items, except a euchered engine and once a Kubota engine ties up (even if it restarts after it cools off), the internal damage is already done.

Full agree, but mainly just responding to note that it's interesting you use the term "euchered" to say the engine is blown/shot/junk LOL. I wonder if people outside of the upper midwest even have any idea what card game you are talking about. :p

/ Kubota overheated! #14  
Full agree, but mainly just responding to note that it's interesting you use the term "euchered" to say the engine is blown/shot/junk LOL. I wonder if people outside of the upper midwest even have any idea what card game you are talking about. :p
it's the game of choice around here with 'Spin the bottle' coming in a close second....lol

/ Kubota overheated! #15  
Haha. I grew up in the northeast and never heard of eucher until we moved to Michigan. I'm still not very good at it; sure is a fun group card game though.

/ Kubota overheated! #16  
around here, sedge bloom can quickly diminish the radiator efficiency. as mentioned, smaller tractors like the MX series are prone. fortunately on the M series, this has not been an issue at all with me. being aware of a defective temp gauge beforehand is courting disaster. good luck with everything

/ Kubota overheated! #17  
Best card game there is.

Everyone can have their poker.....euchre is the only card game worth playing. Unless you are playing go-fish with the kiddos

/ Kubota overheated! #18  
I had never heard of a euchered engine before; I reckon it means shot rings and scored cylinders and such. From the French word "euchre" as in defeated???

Before tearing it down I would investigate. Check the coolant and dump the oil and check that too for contamination. If those check out, new oil and get the compression tested and compared to specs. If that is OK; count your probably lucky stars. It if runs well, run it. Get that temp gauge fixed for sure and maybe add an alarm. Always start the day with clean rdiator and screens and do the pre-use checks. Let us know the outcome.

prs

/ Kubota overheated! #19  
All these small tractors that are low to the ground....and barely large enough cooling systems anyway, need the screen in front of the radiator cleaned frequently.

I try and avoid mowing if its above 80. And keep to the cool of the morning, and the damp vegetation due to the dew keeps alot of the chaff from blowing around and plugging the radiator.

With regards to what damage you may or may not have done to the engine.....being on the internet and 100's or 1000's of miles away....NO ONE can answer that question.

But Id drain the oil ASAP and look for anything unusual. Metal shavings, etc. Check coolant level as well. and while the oil is drained, its not hard to drop the pan and pop the caps one at a time and look at the bearings.....and from the underside you can see the cylinder bores and see if you notice any deep scoring.

The bad.....you cannot inspect the cam or balance shafts.

I had an ordeal a few years back.....pre-covid and pre-rapid inflation. My engine was not rebuildable. And a new one back then was $7500 +/-

You may get lucky. Or this may turn into a costly lesson for you to keep an eye on that radiator screen.

Do you have K-tac insurance? Because that may just be a lifesaver

LD1, you mentioned you had an ordeal a few years back and the engine was not rebuildable. Was that engine in your MX5100?? What was the cause of the engine failure??

Last edited:
   / Kubota overheated! #20  
You may get lucky. Or this may turn into a costly lesson for you to keep an eye on that radiator screen
loggin

& maybe more importantly, have an operating temp gauge