Kubota RTV 520

/ Kubota RTV 520 #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
We been looking at a Kubota RTV 520 for use around the house. It will be used to get the mail, haul stuff to and from the garden, maybe move some split wood, nothing heavy duty. We have a Talon for trail riding so speed/articulation/rock crawling is not an issue. We currently have a very nice Mule FXT Pro but will be selling it to downsize. It is the 6 person model and we just dont need a big machine anymore. It was great when we had two kids at home, but doesn't really fit where we want to use it anymore and we never haul anyone except the two of us (and the dog but he is only 4.5 lbs- lol)

Anyone have one, use one, or can give some thoughts on one. We also are looking at the Mule SX but the drum brakes are not really high on my list, especially since we have a LOT of steep hills to operate on.

Thanks in advance!

/ Kubota RTV 520 #2  
I have the Mule SX. It runs like a mule. We are looking at upgrading. Rides rough, noisy, and is slow if driving 2-5 miles to visit neighbors or pick up mail. Mailbox is 2.5 miles down the road

we are looking at the Pro FX.

/ Kubota RTV 520 #3  
Can't say from personal experience, but they do look nice and the true work UTV's have sure come a hell of a long way.

We did a run from our house a few years back and one guy came in his John Deere Gator and made it everywhere we did. It was quite impressive.

/ Kubota RTV 520 #4  
Wife wanted the 520. We got gas as diesel does not do well with short runs - like to mail box, garden spot - same usage as you describe. She's been happy with it.
I wanted the Club Car off road. More comfortable, easier entry/exit. We have a Club Car electric and gas golf car. Both have been trouble free (as have our Kubota tractors)

/ Kubota RTV 520 #5  
Wanted to add:

The Mule SX is bullet proof if the downsides mentioned in my first post do not matter to you. Nice having an air cooled engine.

Bit of a PITA to change the oil filter.

My Kubota dealer is a jerk so have not considered one of their machines.

/ Kubota RTV 520
Thank.

I drove one at the dealer today and it is VERY smooth and quiet. Seems like 20-25 is top speed for sure but that is fine as I very rarely go over 20 in the lane. Our main road is a 25mph zone but almost never see a car so that will be fine.
I love our Mule Pro FXT LE but it is BIG, way bigger than I really need anymore and I like the idea of small and nimble.
Going to take the wife back to the dealer later today so she can drive one and see what she thinks. I will say that low gear is LOW. Feels like it would pull a house which was shocking for the tiny motor these thing have!

/ Kubota RTV 520 #7  
Code54,

I have been though some crap with the Mule SX and it has never gotten stuck.

I got close to the base model, only upgrade was fuel injection IIRC, and I wish I had gotten the model with the larger tires and more ground clearance Some of the logging roads we travel give it a challenge. I have "bottomed put" a few times...but never got it stuck.

/ Kubota RTV 520
Thank everyone.

Tonight we got to drive the RTV at a local dealer that has a STEEP narrow gravel hill to test on. WOW it was impressive. we went part way up in high until we spun out. Locked the diff, and 4 wheel drive, shifted to low and it walked right up the hill without any issue. We turned around at the top and my wife said I should take it back down. I declined and told her she would be fine so she tried it. She was even shocked how easy it was. If you let off in low it all but stopped (without touching the brakes).
Her only grip was it was a little hard to steer (she is used to power steering in all other other machines including her ATV) - I wonder if it loosens up at all? Now we were on 6-8" gravel sometimes, and in 4x4 so I sure that stiffens things up a bit.

We drove the Mule at the local dealer - nice little machine, but did feel tippy and nearly as planted as the Kubota. The steering was a bit lighter (we just on the flat parking area at a dealership so that could be part of it) and she liked the "look" of the Mule better. I personally didn't care for transmission engagement/disengagement and noticed it was built a lot lighter duty. (Mule is listed at 1031 lbs and the RTV 520 is listed at 1378 so almost at 350lbs difference) It was an LE model so it did have a roof, nicer alum wheels and the front brush guard. (There Kubota had the front bumper/guard but no roof, and had steel wheels).

The pricing is close with the Mule being about $400 higher out the door. Now I will buy a roof for the Kubota so that will wash out quickly. The Kubota does have front and rear 2" receiver hitches from the factory so that was also a plus to me.

My wife and I talked it over at dinner and decided we are going to move forward on buying the Kubota. The Mule is a nice vehicle but the Kubota seems to fit us a bit better.

Now to see if I can add power steering for her or just hope it loosens up a bit.....

/ Kubota RTV 520 #9  
Did you get 0%36 ?
get windshield
get bed mate