Kubota RTVX1100C w/snowblower vs tractor w/front mount snowblower

/ Kubota RTVX1100C w/snowblower vs tractor w/front mount snowblower #1  

GreenTime

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 110TLB, JD 3720, JD Z997, Kubota L5740
I currently have a JD 3720 (44 HP & cab) with front mount 59" wide snowblower that I use for snow removal around our commercial buildings in town. It works great and at times I can bog down the 44 hp tractor.

I also need to move snow at our hobby farm 50 miles away and am looking for a second unit. I'm looking at a Kubota RTVX1100C UTV (with cab) because the a UTV would be handy in the summer for yard maintenace. However, I am concerned about not having enough power with the 25 HP diesel engine on the Kubota with the 66" wide PTO driven snowblower. Located in ND and can get big blizzard driven snow drifts.

Would appreciate feedback from anyone that has run both. Thanks.

/ Kubota RTVX1100C w/snowblower vs tractor w/front mount snowblower #2  
I think you answered your own question. If you can bog down a 44HP tractor you would certainly bog down a 25HP UTV. The problem is IMO any tractor, UTV, RTV Etc. with a blower can be bogged down. Speed and snow density makes the difference.

/ Kubota RTVX1100C w/snowblower vs tractor w/front mount snowblower #3  
What type of transmission is in the RTV1100? Will it allow to creep along like a hydrostatic tranny with the engine at full throttle?

If you can creep along and have patience the RTV could work.

/ Kubota RTVX1100C w/snowblower vs tractor w/front mount snowblower
What type of transmission is in the RTV1100? Will it allow to creep along like a hydrostatic tranny with the engine at full throttle?

If you can creep along and have patience the RTV could work.
The RTV does have a hydrostatic transmission.

/ Kubota RTVX1100C w/snowblower vs tractor w/front mount snowblower #5  
I wouldn’t blow with the UTV. Not enough power by a lot.

/ Kubota RTVX1100C w/snowblower vs tractor w/front mount snowblower #6  
Yesterday I moved 10" of snow around the buildings with some nice drifts. My 3039R and 60" blower were awesome, as long as I moved slowly in the 20" deep parts.

But a UTV with a 25hp 66" snowblower on the front would have been useless.

/ Kubota RTVX1100C w/snowblower vs tractor w/front mount snowblower #7  
The RTV does have a hydrostatic transmission.
If hydrostatic and you have time and patience then could work with understanding you power limited so have to take partial cuts and or move very, very slowly.
I have a 52 or 54” (can’t remember which) 3 point mount on my tractor with around 19 HP. It does pretty good but add another foot and it would struggle.

/ Kubota RTVX1100C w/snowblower vs tractor w/front mount snowblower #8  
I wouldn't call an RTV with the front mount blower useless. MANY plow contractors here use them. I was going to get one for my RTV and did a lot of research, but two things stopped me from doing it. Here in Canada, the front hitch and blower is $24,000.
Second, the hitch system, according to those that have them, is not something you want to take on and off, they say it's a pretty involved install, and I do lots of trail riding in the summer with my RTV and did not want to lose any ground clearance.

/ Kubota RTVX1100C w/snowblower vs tractor w/front mount snowblower #9  
If you want a “side by side/RTV/vehicle” type of machine for snowblowing, I’d go with a Bobcat Toolcat.
Much more expensive, but it’ll blow snow and serve as a RTV with a dump bed and a cab

/ Kubota RTVX1100C w/snowblower vs tractor w/front mount snowblower #10  
Someone down the road from my former place of employment had a Kubota RTV and blower. I regularly drove by and saw that thing high and dry on drifts.
I'm guessing that some was operator error, some was not enough machine for conditions.