Kubota VS WIX/NAPA oil filters

/ Kubota VS WIX/NAPA oil filters #11  
I am a bit OCD about filters and change them more frequently than recommended. I have very convenient access to Wix. Beyond those two reasons I have nothing more to offer to support my Wix use. :)

/ Kubota VS WIX/NAPA oil filters #12  
I buy some OEM, I also buy some NAPA Golds...

Just because the BX Wix/NAPA filter is smaller, doesn't mean WIX is smaller across the board... Perhaps there was some "selective" comparing going on there??

Also, just because the filter is shorter, it doesn't mean it's "too" short to get the job done.

The only brand filter I will NOT use is Fram, IMO they are the bottom of the bucket. I personally have seen a couple of them leak through the seam on the can.

At one time Cummins had a few blown motors (B's under warr.) from Fram filters failing (filter media plugging the oil passages) and sent out a notice to owners, use of a Fram voids the warr...

SR

/ Kubota VS WIX/NAPA oil filters #13  

Just because the BX Wix/NAPA filter is smaller, doesn't mean WIX is smaller across the board... Perhaps there was some "selective" comparing going on there??

Also, just because the filter is shorter, it doesn't mean it's "too" short to get the job done.

The only brand filter I will NOT use is Fram, IMO they are the bottom of the bucket. I personally have seen a couple of them leak through the seam on the can.

At one time Cummins had a few blown motors (B's under warr.) from Fram filters failing (filter media plugging the oil passages) and sent out a notice to owners, use of a Fram voids the warr...

SR

I've saw two Fram filters fail. Both times they sucked the media thru the oil pump. Both engines survived, but had to be completely disassembled.

I think we all have brand bias based on experiences. For me Fram is out.

/ Kubota VS WIX/NAPA oil filters #14  
I too will not use Fram. I remember an issues the 6.0 Powerstrokes were having with failing injectors. The injectors on those trucks are fired by high pressure oil and the injectors were being fed dirty oil and failing. Turns out the Fram oil cartridge filters and others were not the same size physically as the OEM Motorcraft filter. The filters were too long and keeping the bypass valve open 100% of the time. Dirty oil made the internal piston in the injectors scar and soon fail.

Well after tones of failures, it turns out the patent for the International oil cartridge was not yet expired. So the aftermarket had to make a taller filter cap with shorter filter, which resulted in a longer overall filter. The aftermarket was responsible for tons of failed injectors. The funny thing is, nothing has changed and the aftermarket is still selling the longer filters.

For this reason alone, I stay OEM for most filters. I haven't been bit yet...

/ Kubota VS WIX/NAPA oil filters #15  

SR

Basically what I was trying to say...."selective comparing"....I like it.

And yes.....I know there is alot of anti-fram bias. But fram makes many different "grades" of filters. As do other brands....like Napa silver, gold, and platinum.

Just because the low level fram filters are junk.....doesn't mean the entire brand as a whole is junk.

I run fram xg filters on everything but my Cummins. And that's only because I cannot find an xg for it. So it gets a Napa gold.

The frame xg filters are among the best there is. 10k oil changes and full synthetic on everything I own. Been that way for the last 15 years.

/ Kubota VS WIX/NAPA oil filters #16  
It's very difficult to get a comparative opinion from any brand of filter if the user has never had trouble.

For example, I can say the same thing about Wix that LD1 said about fram xg in his last sentence above.

So which is better, Fram xg or Wix? :)

/ Kubota VS WIX/NAPA oil filters #17  
Being an old guy I use motorcraft in my fords, kub ota on my tractors,

/ Kubota VS WIX/NAPA oil filters #18  
good video. 40 years ago My JD loving BIL TOLD me his dealer did a test like that in front of him and the JD filter was taller inside and many more pleats even back then. I had a leaky jd filter even though it was very tight. I just went down and got a GOLD for the same price..Got screwed twice on one filter.

/ Kubota VS WIX/NAPA oil filters #19  
I put a baldwin b7152 on my l3800 and every time you started it you could hear the bypass valve till it warmed up a bit big difference on filter weight and mounting plate HH164-32430 KUBOTA filter number 0205181157-00.jpg

Last edited:
   / Kubota VS WIX/NAPA oil filters #20  
The video was comparing an OEM Kubota to a Wix/Napa 1365 which is not the correct cross reference. I use Wix 51064 on my Kubota (or OEM whichever is more convenient at the time). The 1064 is comparable and maybe a little smaller than OEM, but not much difference.

That said the Kubota filters are stoutly built. I have used only Kubota for hydraulic and fuel filters and about half of the time for oil and air. Price is about the same, but my dealer is 15 miles away and I don't drive that way very often.