L Series questions

/ L Series questions #1  

MiserableOldFart

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 40, Kubota GR2120
I was looking at the L series tractors today, and didn't think to ask the dealer, but am wondering about a few things: I didn't see any lever on the tractors for 2 wheel / 4 wheel drive. They are part time 4 wheel drive, aren't they? The dealer had both 00 and 01 series tractors and they pretty much look identical. Does anyone have a preference for either? I guess the 01 is going to replace the 00s, but there were quite a few 00s on the lot. The only obvious difference I could see was that the newer model has a front/back lever control for throttle, and the older has a pivoting lever.

It seems that the brake and HST control, like my NH TC26DA are both on the right side, a situation that never made sense to me if one ever wants to use one sided braking in turns. Are people able to do that with these tractors?

The dealer didn't have any of the Grand L Series, so I would assume that the standard Ls either the most popular or don't sell much at all. He had BXs but only a couple B2620s on the lot, so I guess the standard Ls are his bread and butter, along with the BXs and the garden tractors and the much larger ones.

Couldn't tell by looking at 3pt the lever, either.. do the standard Ls come with position control on the 3pt?

/ L Series questions #2  
The 2/4 WD lever is behind the heel of your left foot.

Position control is standard. Draft sensing is optional.

The sale of L vs Grand L varies by market. Both are popular.

The whole brakes behind the hydro pedal has been on going. I have the gear model, so I am accustomed to steering with the brakes.

Over all they are a good tractor.

/ L Series questions #3  
The brake and HST pedal placement is a topic of endless debate. I've been using my Grand L for 12 years now and find the only time the split brakes are used is when bushhogging an open field and I want to make square corner turns. By setting the cruise control (an option on the Standard L models, included on Grand L's), the tractor operates just like a gear tractor and you can use the split brakes. For anything else, I just don't need the split brakes. If there were lots of traditional field work it might be a different story and I know using the split brakes is a lifetime habit for lots of folks. I think the new Grand L's have a different brake setup.

The new models are Tier 4 and have additional emission controls, adding to cost, etc. Many buyers have been snapping up the older models.

/ L Series questions
Thank you, Mikeeemo, and Grandad4. I doubt I'll ever be able to afford it, but I'm looking for a bigger, more powerful tractor whose rear wheels fit within the confines of my five foot implements. The smaller L series fills the bill. I wonder if anyone who has the HST has figured out a way to use the brakes for turning. Maybe there is a way to tilt your foot in such a way as to control two pedals at the same time? I've never experimented with it on the NH TC26DA, but it might be possible..

Doesn't braking turn off the cruise control? It does on my NH. I would try to use one brake with the cruise control, but while scraping ice I broke the switch on mine, which I seldom use, and NH,with their "parts made of gold" philosophy, charges like $65 for a new plastic switch, so I haven't replaced it.

/ L Series questions #5  
Some people can do the "kubota shuffle" and operate both pedals at the same time. I never had much luck at it. The Cruise control method works. The cruise control on the L's is mechanical, not electro/magnetic in nature and when the brakes are split you can press one brake and the cruise will still remain set.

The newer Kubota Grand L 60 series have the brakes over on the left now. My Kioti is that way also. Very easy to split brake operate. Very handy when scraping ice and you have no other steering method.

/ L Series questions #6  
With 4wd, turning with brakes is kind of obsolete. I used to have to do it on our old 2wd tractor, but rarely use brakes to turn anymore.

I personally love the basic L series and prefer gear drive, so all the peddle are in the right places... :cool:

/ L Series questions #7  
I have a hydro L3800 and did not get cruise control. I have never tried to use the brake steering. I think with cruise it would work, but is probably too hard to maneuver without the cruise or gear tractor. I will say, I've always wanted to try though, just to see what brake steering is like. I'm not much of a dancer, so the "Kubota shuffle" as K0ua called it is probably not in my future.

/ L Series questions #8  
Cruise control on my l4600 hst just moves hst pedal and keeps it there I never use the brakes just let off on pedal or pivot it to go backward brakes will probably last forever on mine. the lever control for 4 wd is on left side next to differential lock pull up to engage I think l4600 being replaced by L4701 which is tier 4

/ L Series questions #9  
I'm not much of a dancer, so the "kubota shuffle" as K0ua called it is probably not in my future.

I was told once some years ago by a scholar of all things Kubota, that the "kubota shuffle" was best done wearing a tu-tu.

I quickly gave up all hopes of mastering that particular skill. :laughing:

/ L Series questions #10  
Many people remember the old two wheel drive tractors that were brake turn tractors but they are a thing of the past. So is brake turning for anyone that knows tractors. The old two wheel drive tractors were set up with only 25% of the weight on the front where todays four wheel drive tractors are set up normally with 40% on the front. Now lets throw a loader on it!
The added stress to the parts by brake steering a four wheel drive probably won't make a difference to the manufacturer under warrantee but it sure will increase cost of ownership!