L2501 I love it BUT

/ L2501 I love it BUT #1  

TBone

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L-2501 HST
I love my little 25 hp tractor. It's quick, it's nimble and handles like a dream. BUT, if tier 4 emission controls weren't in place I'd trade it in a heartbeat for some more hp. I had a M4900 prior to this one and really miss the extra horses. The L2501 does great for loader work but I get frustrated having to creep through 3' grass. I haven't used it for any ground engagement attachments but have a feeling it would come up short on those jobs too.

/ L2501 I love it BUT #2  
Not sure what all is involved BUT I can cut 3' high grass with a 5ft bush hog using my 24hp B2150 Kubota as fast as I want to move to keep from teeth jarring. What sort of cutter are you using? It will not bog down using the belly mower in 2' high heavy hay field grass either.

/ L2501 I love it BUT #3  
Not sure what all is involved BUT I can cut 3' high grass with a 5ft bush hog using my 24hp B2150 Kubota as fast as I want to move to keep from teeth jarring. What sort of cutter are you using? It will not bog down using the belly mower in 2' high heavy hay field grass either.
Your machine is significantly lighter (could be close to 1000lbs) than a L series machine. That little engine still has to pull the extra weight along. OP may have a 6 ft cutter, maybe they can clarify.

/ L2501 I love it BUT
Using a Landpride LA525FL mower. Grass is very heavy and thick.
Your machine is significantly lighter (could be close to 1000lbs) than a L series machine. That little engine still has to pull the extra weight along. OP may have a 6 ft cutter, maybe they can clarify.
My machine IS a L series machine (L2501HST) Definitely a 5' cutter.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / L2501 I love it BUT #5  
Using a Landpride LA525FL mower. Grass is very heavy and thick.

My machine IS a L series machine (L2501HST) Definitely a 5' cutter.
No not definitely. I have seen folks try and make a 6ft work....thats why I made the comment. It actually will in lighter applications. Glad to see you have a properly matched implement.

/ L2501 I love it BUT #6  
Say T-bone: an LA525FL is a Kubota front end loader... what Landpride mower are you using ?

/ L2501 I love it BUT
Say T-bone: an LA525FL is a Kubota front end loader... what Landpride mower are you using ?
Sorry. The mower is a Landpride RCR1860.

/ L2501 I love it BUT #8  
OK. The RCR1860 is a good solid 5ft rotary cutter and should be fine with that L-2501. I am really puzzled by you having to creep with it unless that is world-record heavy grass with maybe swapgrass down in it (?) In low range that tractor should whip right on through there. Maybe the HST (as opposed to std trans) is taking some toll ?

/ L2501 I love it BUT #9  
I run a 6' bush hog behind my L3200/HST which isn't that much different than the L2501. I run in low gear and can pretty much floor the HST treadle and cut anything without breaking a sweat (note, I have only cut up to about 30" tall fields maximum).

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / L2501 I love it BUT #10  
A 6ft hog with the 31HP L3200 should be quite compareable, as you say, to a 5ft hog run by a 25 HP L2501. The old "5 HP per foot rule." Of course "heavy" is relative and no telling exactly what the grass composition is like for TBone without being there.