L2800 4wd HST trans locked

/ L2800 4wd HST trans locked #1  

Garris Graham

My L2800 with 280 hours stopped suddenly and sharply while cutting with finish mower. I was moving fast at 3000RPMs and hit a bump. 5 feet after hitting the bump the tractor came to a complete stop but was still running. I shut her down and started again with PTO off. When I tried to go forward or backward the tractor would move a little (inches) lock up and roll back. I am able to put the tractor in neutral and move it. I got under the tractor and look for anything beyond the norm. Found a cable that goes from the bottom area of the break pedels on the right to something on the left that came loose of its bracket. I put it back in its bracket. The cable does not do anything. Its loose at both ends. Its about 12 to 18 inches. This was the only thing I found. Got a mechanic to look at it and he said that a gear is jamming and he would have to open the trans up to find the problem. I know thats going to cost a bunch. Any thoughts about what that cable is? Thanks

/ L2800 4wd HST trans locked #2  
Sorry for your problems. Nothing like drama to get folks to post their 1st post. Hope it doesn't cost too much.

/ L2800 4wd HST trans locked #3  
What happens with the different transmission ranges, H/M/L? Does lever move like normal or is it easier/harder to shift? Does the transmission respond the same way? I don't remember seeing a cable around that location... before splitting the tractor, I would look more into that. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

/ L2800 4wd HST trans locked #4  
Any thoughts about what that cable is? Thanks

Cruise control cable. Probably would be loose and not do anything if the cruise control lever isn't engaged. Doesn't seem like it would be your problem but it is connected to the transmission linkage, so maybe it's worth a second thought or closer look. Good luck, if it were only that simple.

/ L2800 4wd HST trans locked #5  
Welcome to TBN.
I am interested in out come..do keep us update.

/ L2800 4wd HST trans locked
The cause of the problem was a small piece of metal that locked a gear. When I asked the mechanic where the metal piece came from he told me he thought it was left there when previous warranty work was done about two years ago on the trans. At one point the mechanic thought he fixed the problem without getting into the trans. This was too good to believe. And, when he took it for a test run and it locked up again.

/ L2800 4wd HST trans locked #7  
Garris, Thanks so much for the follow up... Can I ask what "previous warranty work"??? Have you had problems with the transmission before?

/ L2800 4wd HST trans locked #8  
Garris,Thanks for the update.

/ L2800 4wd HST trans locked #9  
Thanks for coming to TBN. A few questions. Did your mechanic split the tractor? What was the piece of metal like, gear like, bearing like, or just kind of a piece of angle, or maybe a piece of broken off cast metal, iron or aluminum. And, what kind of transmission warranty work did the dealer do?