L2800 vs. TC30

/ L2800 vs. TC30 #1  

BigDamnFool

Tractor
Kubota L3400 HST
I've been researching for this decision now for about 5 months, and I've narrowed it down to these 2. Now I'm stuck. I can't make up my mind on which one to buy, and I don't want to use a quarter to decide this one. I've used that method far too many times recently. I've talked to a few different dealers and have chosen which dealer of each I would purchase from and have prices that I am happy with. They both have good reputations and their service departments are both great. The price difference for comparably equipped machines is about $850 ( Hydro, loaded R4's, FEL ). The NH being the more expensive but includes mid PTO which is not available for Kubota. Kubota dealer is also giving me a little bit better price for attachments ( RC, Tiller, BB, Rear Blade )but only about $250 difference for all. Kubota dealer sells Bush Hog, NH dealer sells Woods. So here's where I need your help. Which way would you like to spend my money?? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'd like to hear your opinions on which I should buy, and why. I will probably be going to one of the dealers on Friday afternoon or Saturday to purchase ( Maybe they can do better at the end of the month ) and I'd like to figure out which one. Any help you can give me as to which color to choose would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tiny

/ L2800 vs. TC30 #2  
I looked at both of those tractors and ended up with the TC30. For me, I got a slightly better deal on the NH plus it seemed to fit me better.

Drive them both around and see which one feels better for you. After that, flip the coin they're both good tractors.

Good luck and remember pictures of the new tractor are necessary for continued membership. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rodger

/ L2800 vs. TC30 #3  
My cousin has a TC33 and I can only relay what I know about his tractor. It has been our experience that some of the wiring is too vulnerable to catching branches/twigs/etc while operating and often pulls the kill switch wires out making it impossible to start until you locate which wire has been pulled.

The neutral saftey switch in the range selector stopped working properly after a short time making it a little difficult to get the position just right to allow starting.

Other than those things, it has been a good tractor. It is a gear model only, so can't comment on the HST versions of the TC30.

I like the platform on the TC33 pretty well. Things seem to be laid out in a logical manner for ease of use.

I can't remember much about what I saw on the L2800 when I looked at those. I do remember thinking that the metal work was well done, and appears to be very strong.

I'm a little surprised that you want the older styling of the TC30 over the sloped hoods of the other models. I think it is an advantage that I enjoy on my CK20. The little extra visibility has made a big difference to me.

As was said in another reply, they're both good tractors, and the one you like the best is the one you should be buying. I would make sure that you protect the wiring underneath if you go with the TC30. Some tape in the right places will save you a lot of aggravation.

John

/ L2800 vs. TC30
Rodger,

Got to play with both of them a little bit today, Neither one was more comfortable than my lazy-boy recliner, but they both seemed about the same. A little bit more room on th NH but not that much, Especially with my wide butt in the seat. Guess I better find that quarter.

John,

I really like the slanty nosed boomers and actually started looking at those ( as well as the Grand L's ) but my budget has brought me down to this level of machine. I just bought a new ( to me ) house and will have to spend about $25,000 this year in repairs ( foundation and septic, plus adding a bathroom ) and fencing for horses, And the Brew-Pub I'm a partner in is $45,000 over budget and 4 months behind schedule and still a few months from opening. So my budget is REALLY tight right now. I know I'm buying this for the long term and a few grand isn't that much more for the differences in the tractors but I have to cut costs somewhere. I figure what I'm looking at are both fine tractors and will last me a lifetime and that is really all I need. ( for now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) The convienences are nice but I really can't afford the model with the in-dash toaster right now. Economics has to be my deciding factor.

To help me decide a little bit better the Kubota dealer said he would throw in a bolt on tooth bar for FEL as well as weld 3 hooks and reinforce the top lip of bucket. Would also throw in 50 hour service and if I wanted one would sell me a trailer for " a couple hundred off ". Also said he could give me a little break on rental of some equiptment I need for house projects. Over all, it seemed like he wanted to work with me. NH dealer offered nothing!! I'm starting to see something Orange in my future.

Thanks for the replys.

Tiny

/ L2800 vs. TC30 #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Over all, it seemed like he wanted to work with me. NH dealer offered nothing!! I'm starting to see something Orange in my future. )</font>
You'll probably be happy either way you go, but it sure sounds like you're dealing with a good person at the Kubota store.

Maybe you should wait a little while until things are looking up and the brew pup is paying you a little. Then you can get what you really want. If you buy now, and in a short time find yourself able to buy better, you'll suffer more of a loss because you'll be competing with new tractors, full warranties and probably great financing offers. Just a thought.

John

/ L2800 vs. TC30 #6  
It seems the Kubota dealer is really working to get your business. That would make it an easy decision for me.

/ L2800 vs. TC30 #7  
Hooks on the FEL are a must have. They might just save you a big dent in the middle of your bucket (let your imagination run wild on how I know).

A tooth bar would be a very nice thing to have as well.

I have an L3000 and I am more than happy with it. Like most things in life, I wish it was bigger, but we all make do with what we have /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ L2800 vs. TC30 #8  
I did the same thing as you, took me 7 months to decide. Went through massey, mahindra, kioti (I like the kioti tlb seemed heavy duty, not to throw something else in the mix for you. also some other tractors as well as tlb's terramite, terrex, bobcat etc.. For me it came down to the L2800 and the TC30. I needed the backhoe too so the 8.5 foot backhoe for the tc-30 kind of pushed me to the tc30. I could not see it, but some one told me to look at the undersides of both, and the l2800 was weaker in that area, could be my inexperience. The mid mount pto was another option the l2800 does not have. I was quoted similar prices as well for both machines and both dealers were reputable. hope it helps.

dave

/ L2800 vs. TC30 #9  
Tiny, You know I have the TC30, and that I am very pleased with it. However, I think you should go with the Kubota. Why? From reading your several posts, it seems to me that the L2800 is the one that is speaking to you. Both are great tractors. Both will serve you well, but sometimes we are pulled one way or the other for some unknown reason. I think you are being pulled to that L2800. Once you get it home, you will be more than a little happy. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ L2800 vs. TC30
John,

Things are looking up!!! If I were to wait until the pub was paying me money I would probably be buying a 2050 model year tractor. We don't intend to turn a profit ( operational at least ) for a year or two minimum! It's more of a labor of love and a reason to "have to go to the bar again honey" type of thing. I'll probably drink away most of my profits at the least. As far as trading up later, I don't like to shop so I'll use what ever I have until it's used up. And then I'll spend a fortune in parts to keep it running. I still drive my 1995 Chevy with 260,000 miles on it. Have replaced enough things on it that I could have bought a new one by now. I just hate to do the shopping part of it. I feel that either of these tractors will do everything that I will need them to do, maybe just a little slower or with more effort, but will work just fine. I can always rent or hire if I need something more. Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it.

dooleysm,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> </font> we all make do with what we have )</font>

How true that is!!

Parttimer,

I looked these things over really well and they seem so sturdy that even I couldn't break 'em. But then again give me a week on it and I'll be taking back to the dealer in pieces.

HRS,

And I thought that pull was from a full moon. Tractors actually have that power too?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Actually I have been thinking all day about it and have come up with a few more reasons to go with the Kubota. The dealer deals with a lot more small farmers and regular folks, where as the NH dealer is more geared towards commercial and construction. So that has been pulling me even more in that direction. I still haven't made up my mind yet and probably won't be doing that until Monday so I'd still like to hear any opinions that anyone may have. Thanks

Tiny