L2850 rear PTO disengement

/ L2850 rear PTO disengement #1  

Visa

Tractor
Kubota L2850 4wd
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone out there knows if the rear PTO on my 1990's L2850 (Standard) is supposed to stop turning when I push in the clutch? I know on my old B7100 HST it did but not so with this tractor. Is it supposed to and if so, is there an adjustment for this? Thanks to all who reply...

/ L2850 rear PTO disengement #2  
On my L2250, the clutch is two stage. Push in half way and the tractor movement stops. Push in all the way and the PTO stops. Hope this helps. albe

/ L2850 rear PTO disengement #3  
Brian,

I would imagine that you have a 2-stage clutch, which means that your PTO should disengage when you push the clutch in HALF way. I had this problem once, and was able to fix it with help from Dick Bargeron. Here is his explanatin of how this works, and how to adjust it:

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( From: rbargeron

Hi Bill: You are on the right track. Adjust the linkage until the pto will disengage (pedal full-down). Do it with the tractor shut off - with the clutch all the way down you or your helper should be able to turn the pto shaft with your hand with the pto gearbox in either hi or lo.

Now comes the interesting part - it is a two-stage clutch, the second one is for the driving wheels. With the linkage adjusted enough to release the pto at full travel, see if it comes back enough to fully engage the drive wheels.

As the drive-wheels clutch gets worn thinner, the linkage needs to be adjusted so it doesn't slip under load. Unfortunately, that affects the engage/release point on the pto clutch too. It will get to the point where in order to have enough engagement of the drive wheels, it will not have enough throw to disengage the pto. Then the answer is to split it and put in a new drive-wheels clutch.

It isn't too big a job - flat concrete floor and two floor jacks so you can roll the two tractor halves apart. Will take several hours - should get a manual. Or (as I never think of) take it to a dealer and beat up your checkbook. )</font>

/ L2850 rear PTO disengement #4  
Visa
On the L2850 there was an option for a live PTO with a dual stage clutch. When you press the clutch does the PTO shaft just turn or is it being powered? Be careful when checking this please. Lewis

/ L2850 rear PTO disengement
I believe the PTO is being powered. Maybe not 100% but possibly about 75%.(Using 12" auger in hard pan with clutch pushed all the way in under 2000 rpm will stall tractor if I hit something big.(No slip) Over that rpm it will start slipping a little bit untill I let the clutch out. I guess there is something there but I don't believe it is working the way it is suposed to. Probably 10 outof 14 holes so far have been drilled with the clutch pedal all the way in. Maybe the clutch is getting beat? Has about 1060 hours on it?

Quote from Kubota shop manual. "On L2850 models, an over-running clutch assembly is used to transmit power from PTO countershaft to output shaft. Over-running clutch allows pto output shaft to continue to turn without driving tractor forword when cluth is depressed." Make sense to anyone.? Perhaps there is no 2 stage clutch on this model and all is working as it is supposed to?... Any Ideas? Hate to fix it if its not broke.

/ L2850 rear PTO disengement #7  
I am not sure how your L2850 is set up, but it is not normal for the implement to be able stall the engine with the clutch pedal all the way down. The pto clutch is not disengaging as it should.

With the engine OFF and pto lever engaged, look under the tractor and see which linkage moves when you push down the clutch pedal. Adjust it so it travels more, so that when the pedal is down, you can turn the pto shaft with the pto gear lever engaged. This verifies that the pto clutch is disengaging the shaft from the engine.

Then start it up and see whether you can still get power to the wheels with the clutch pedal up. If so, check to see how far down the pedal can go without losing power to the wheels. If it slips at or near the top, you likely need a main clutch.

BTW - "over-running" pto usually means a single clutch, but with a sprag coupling on the shaft so a spinning implement can't power the tractor. (saw a John Deere once that a big rotary mower pushed into the side of a barn - crunch !) But I think even this style should disengage when the pedal is all the way down.

Hope this is useful - prompt refund if bogus. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The manual does talk briefly about having a sprag. So if it is in-deed an "over-running" type PTO with a single clutch disc, then there would be no adjustment, just like a one-way bearing type deal (Sprag). Correct or not really? Either way, I got about 20 more holes to do for myself soon as time permits and another 20 or so tomorrow. Backhoe is starting to sound pretty good right about now...

/ L2850 rear PTO disengement #9  
How does your pto engage? Is there a selector lever or a handle that looks like a car parking brake?

Its a handle about 3 inches long with a round knob on the end between your legs directly below the steering wheel.