L2950 too much oil in the crankcase

/ L2950 too much oil in the crankcase #1  

Jeff Lary

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2950
Hi this is going to sound dumb but here goes. Today while looking at my battery I thought I would check the engine oil. When I pulled the stick oil came out the dip tube. It was full to overflowing. Tomorrow I will drain the oil and measure it, it is supposed to have 6 qts in it. The oil does not seem thin,.. it is not mixed with water,,, it does not smell of diesel fuel. Is there any way that hydraulic oil can get into the engine oil?
The tractor is not a GST it is a 4 speed shuttle shift trans that uses 7 gallons of transmission grade hydraulic. The other day I was telling my brother that I had blown a hydraulic hose on the backhoe. He nodded over his shoulder and said yea I saw where you spread some oil through the grass.... Problem is where he pointed is not where I blew the hose. So I went to see what he was talking about and yes there was a stripe of oil in the grass for a long ways. I was lugging fill to a low spot on my woods road and that is where the oil is spread on the grass. It looks to be on the right side of the tractor under your throttle foot area. I was wondering if maybe it was blowing a mist out of an overflow hose to make that mark in the grass? My initial hope was that I over filled the engine I have to admit that after the last oil change I did not check the level. I added I "think " 6 quarts but I am hoping I added more. I did the oil change using gallon jugs. I just did very little reading and someone with a Kubota mower found out a hydraulic pump seal had gone and caused his engine to over fill with hydro fluid. Thanks for any advice, Jeff

/ L2950 too much oil in the crankcase #2  
Pump is gear driven so its possible if front pump seal is leaking into crankcase check hyd fluid and see if its low

/ L2950 too much oil in the crankcase
Well first thanks for the reply. Now the idiot news,.. the hydro is low because I blew the same hose 3 times in 2 hours. You see I was trying to use a field repairable connection on a hose that was not able to accept this type of fitting. So I know the fluid is low and I was going to change it this coming weekend. I have the new fluid all ready to go so I was not concerned with making sure it was perfectly topped off ya know? But I can drain the crank case and re fill with 6 qts. Then top off the hydro and run it some to see what happens I guess ? If it gets over full again then I could check the hydro level.

yes I will,.. I have a feeling that hydro is in there somehow. I am pretty handy but I don't know much about this situation .

Fixed... I hope.
Long story short the tractor has a quick coupler on one of the hoses that supply the Backhoe when it is on the tractor. When running it the other day I went to pick up the loader bucket and it would not move. I moved the lever many times looking for a blown hose somewhere.... but eventually I saw the un-coupled quick connection. So I re-connected it and off I went soon it happened again. So I reconnected it and came home and shut her off. I figured I would replace the male and female this weekend. Yesterday I saw the full crankcase and this all began. Problem,.... when the hose came apart at the connection and I then moved the lever the hydro the system deadheaded and blew out the seal between the Hydro pump and the gear case thus forcing fluid into the engine. I went to the tractor shop and got the Seal, C-clip and oil filter.
Came home and tore into it , I took the pump off replaced the seal put her back on, changed the engine oil, changed the hydro fluid and changed the failing hose ends out for brand new and she is cured I hope.
The Kubota dealer is the one who knew what happened when I explained the goings on lately. He told me that year pump does not have a bi-pass so when I dead headed the system it blew the seal and caused the over fill issue. So if you have a quick connection fail change it ,...much cheaper.