L3200/3800 trailer size

/ L3200/3800 trailer size #1  

sadie72

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800 HST 4x4
Hi Folks,
Wondering if an 18' (16+2) beavertail trailer will be long enough for the L3800 with 524 loader and Land Pride 1860 (5') bush hog. The trailer I'm looking at has the vertical ramps that rotate down for loading. Unfortunately I can't do a trial run due the the fantastic winter we're having in the northeast.
With all the experience here on TBN i assume someone has tried this setup before me. I also understand the importance of where the loaded rear tractor tires will sit in relation to the two trailer axles. I need to measure this when I look at the trailer later this week.

The price is right and condition appears excellent but don't want to make a bad decision here. A new 20' trailer will cost me double and used 20' trailers in great shape are hard to find.

The used trailer is a Mid-Atlantic 13k.

Thanks for any input.

/ L3200/3800 trailer size #2  
sadie72,

I have an L3800 with loader and BH77 and it fits just fine on my 10K Car Mate 18' beaver tail. However my ramps stow under the trailer.
I think you will need 22' with the 5' brush hog, especially with the upright ramps. By law you need to have all implements tied down and you may need the additional space to lower and tie the brush hog.
With some extra space you can also adjust your load.

/ L3200/3800 trailer size #3  
I have an L3800 also, an am in the same dilemma. I could drive it, but how far is to far. Is 34 country miles to far to just drive a L3800DT with a mower. HS

/ L3200/3800 trailer size #4  
I guess if you are retired and have lots of time you could drive it. I would not want to drive my tractor 20 miles on the road. Maybe a mile or two but farther than that I'd trailer it. An 18' may not be long enough with fold up ramps. They would probably interfere with the brush hog as mentioned. 18'er would work if you put the brush hog on the trailer by itself then load the tractor on setting the loader bucket over top of the B/hog. That would be a hassle and get old real quick.
I had a (smaller) Mahindra 2615HST w/loader and brush hog on a 20' trailer and the tail wheel hung off the back by a foot. I'd say look for a bigger trailer.

/ L3200/3800 trailer size #5  
I have an L3800 also, an am in the same dilemma. I could drive it, but how far is to far. Is 34 country miles to far to just drive a L3800DT with a mower. HS

In a word, YES!.. If you do it, you will be sorry!.. Of course this is just my opinion.

/ L3200/3800 trailer size #6  
If you have a loader It will not fit without something sticking past some where without unhooking the bush hog. I have seen A lot of guys will do it anyway though and just deal with the overhang but they will normally use a 18 foot without a Beavertail.

/ L3200/3800 trailer size #7  
My dealer has some packages that include an L, 5' bush hog, and 18' trailer. There are pics on their front page:

Dubberly Tractor

Yeah, it fits, but in my opinion the tractor is too far forward and the tongue weight will be excessive (regardless of the box blade they also show in pic).

Not only do you need room to fit everything on the deck with the ramps up, you also need to be able to move fore and aft to get tongue weight right. That means you need at least a couple feet of margin.

/ L3200/3800 trailer size #8  
I have a 16' tilting deck trailer. Got it cheap at an auction. 15k lbs rated with a metal deck. I could stack 3 of my L3200s on there and still be good on weight. However 1 barely fits on there. I have to hang the loader off the deck onto the very long neck. Luckily things balance out, as I really don't have any room to move it to balance things. My rotary cutter ends up hanging a foot off the back. My Tacoma will pull this setup, barely. Its rated to haul 6,500lbs & I figure the trailer is a bit over 2k; tractor, loaded rears & loader are a little over 3,500 + 5-700lbs for an implement... HP, brakes & suspension are all hitting their limits, so I ended up finally picking up a F250 for a beater farm truck.

IMG_20140209_103618.jpg IMG_20140209_110007.jpg

I keep thinking about upgrading to a 20 or 22 footer. No way you should get anything under a 18.

P.S. I use chain now, the front strap got really chewed up from the corners on the brush guard being "sharp". No way sharp by my definition in any shape or form, but enough to start cutting those straps. Photos are from test fitting things after I picked up the trailer, didn't actually haul it anywhere other than around the block.

Last edited:
   / L3200/3800 trailer size #9  
I have trailered my L3800 on a 16' trailer with loader bucket on long tongue (actually on the tool box) and bush hog stuck out the rear. Had to move ramps all the way to outside and still couldn't get them up and over, but was able to chain them in place. Not ideal at all. An 18' Beaver tail would be a much better fit for the tractor and would have worked, but I really believe a 20' would be ideal if I had the money to spend. For trailering with box blade or tiller attached, my 16' was same position, but I could get ramps all the way up comfortably, but 18' would have been much more suitable.

/ L3200/3800 trailer size #10  
Just went through this with my dad's L3800 we sold a 16' all flat because it was too short. If you measure from the cutting edge of the dipper to the end of the 5' mower it is 18' 3-4" so no a 18 trailer with flip up ramps will not work unless you can remove the ramps so the mower can hang of the rear or set the dipper on the head board of the trailer. I my opinion I would want the entire deck flat so I have 18' of usable space not 16' of space and 2' of fixed ramp again just the way I think.