Backhoe L3200 with BH77 weak and leaks down

/ L3200 with BH77 weak and leaks down
Hello uscg1, just a suggestion, instead of using a bucket to dig stumps out use a "pick". It is a single shank ripper that goes on a digger/backhoe and you will be amazed at the ripping power. 1 tooth vs 4 on a bucket means much greater breakout force and a side effect on stumps is the holes to fill in are much smaller. You can also split trees to big for your chainsaw too.
redman135 thanks I been looking a one just hated to spend 649.00 plus freight if it didn't work.

Can't comment about the leakdown because I always lower an implement to tbe ground or lock it in transport position for safety reasons whenever leaving the tractor. Many years ago I saw the results of not doing so. At a construction site a backhoe was left in the raised position, stinger extended during lunch. One worker decided to hide under the backhoe to be in the shade. Someone else acidentally hit the boom lever dropping the bucket teeth right into the forehead of the one under it. Pretty nasty scene. As to digging out stumps, the 16 inch bucket was not a good choice. You probably should invest in a ripper tooth. I recently got a Bro-Tek ripper tooth. At first when I received it, I wasn't too impressed because I could have fabbed similar or better for less money. But after using it to remove some trees, I like it and wouldn't be without one. One final tip, don't try to break the roots right at the base of the stump, move the bucket out some. If you work too close to the base you are pulling too much against the stump instead of a single root. That's another advantage of the ripper, you can get in there and work one one root at a time. Good luck.
biker dig thanks, I do lock the boom, it's where I roll the bucket up with the bucket teeth up and when I come back the teeth will be dropping down to the down.

/ L3200 with BH77 weak and leaks down #13  
I'm a stump guy with a b2630 and bh75. I will second what the others have said... With stumps and roots it's all about technique. Work out along the root farther away from the trunk of the tree. Loosen up all arond the trunk about 3 ft out, then you can start popping roots. A stump will loosen far easier if you twist it back andforth also rather than just trying to manhandle it out. These are small, light machines, but they are plenty capable. You have to work smarter with a lot more finesse than on a full size machine to get serious work done. That backhoe is plenty strong. Bucket curl function strongest. I think you may be underestimating the strength of a 1 inch pine tree root.

/ L3200 with BH77 weak and leaks down #14  
The Bro-Tek ripper for the BH77 is $390. Shipping was $40 and I got both the ripper and trencher attachment. Shipping on just the ripper may be less. Bro-Tek rippers have been discussed here on the forum and everyone seems happy with theirs.

/ L3200 with BH77 weak and leaks down #15  
little change in direction of thread....

when you cut the tree down.... leave a few feet up off the ground. so you can use your FEL or backhoe. to press up against higher on the stump. (get more lever action) to help push / pull stump over.

other words instead of crouching down, about ready to split your jeans getting a good footing before you cut, when you goto cut the tree. stand up straight. and cut the stump some were higher say, some were between your waste and shoulders.

you can always come back and cut the stump down more at later date if having problems.

==========
with others... digging up around stump a bit further out and breaking up the small roots can be a plus. you are not drilling the tree stump out. but rather talking a half sphere / ball cut in half of a root mass under ground out. those tree roots really do spread out pretty good in the soil. and instead of just lifting the tree / root out, you end up having to fight against a truck load plus of soil / ground as well that is being held tightly by all the roots.

I'm thinking about the MIE root ripper don't like the way the BroTek looks does anyone here know much about the MIE?

/ L3200 with BH77 weak and leaks down #17  
I'm thinking about the MIE root ripper don't like the way the BroTek looks does anyone here know much about the MIE?

I had the same take and went with the MIE. It is pricier, but I think the bro-tek would work as well. You would almost have to have both to do a fair comparison. What I would find interesting is the difference in real world use with the different departure angle of the two. The MIE is almost exactly the same radius to tooth of my BH bucket, while the bro-tek was straighter with a sharper angle to the tooth. In real world use.....they both work.

I was going to ask bikerdib how he liked switching out bucket for ripper. I need a qa for the BH77! Kind of a pain.

Anyway, I liked the built in "hood" on the MIE for possible trenching. It is heavy duty no doubt.

I really bought it to clean up a city lot property I have to take care of with a lot of tight areas to pull up small old stumps and odd posts etc. I figured it would pay for itself with the one job.

Last edited:
   / L3200 with BH77 weak and leaks down #18  
If its just the bucket drifting down, its in the valve. Leaking by a bit. I wouldnt worry about it. Infact, put the backhoe on the ground before shutting it off.

What kind of stumps are they. Different wood species are different. But if you expect to just yank through a 2" root and dirt like it aint there with a 16"" bucket you have the wrong machine.

I have a 18000# backhoe and tons more power AND a ripper. It can struggle with 4-5" roots. You have a small machine and a backhoe "attachment". Better than a shovel but I think you may be expecting too much.

Practice and technique. You will get the hang of it.

/ L3200 with BH77 weak and leaks down #19  
Swapping the bucket for the ripper isn't too bad. I lower the boom and extend the stinger to put the bucket about 8 inches above the concrete floor with the bucket curled so I can wheel a floor jack under it. Shut off the tractor and use the floor jack to take weight/pressure off the bucket pins. Install is also done with the floor jack. The floor jack allows you to tell when the weight is removed from the 2 pins.

As to the Bro-Tek ripper; I have to admit that when I first got it I was a little disappointed. I agree the MIE ripper looks more substantial but is it worth the extra $$ for a small backhoe, you have to make that call. Looking back, I could have fabricated something better but unlike some, I do have that ability and a pretty well equipped workshop. But after using it, I decided the Bro-Tek ripper should be able to take anything my tractor and BH77 will be able to throw at it.

/ L3200 with BH77 weak and leaks down #20  
Swapping the bucket for the ripper isn't too bad. I lower the boom and extend the stinger to put the bucket about 8 inches above the concrete floor with the bucket curled so I can wheel a floor jack under it. Shut off the tractor and use the floor jack to take weight/pressure off the bucket pins. Install is also done with the floor jack. The floor jack allows you to tell when the weight is removed from the 2 pins.

Great tip Bikerdib....thanks. Btw, though apparently only available for the BX series, BH bxpanded who makes the Pirhana tooth bar makes what looks to be a nicely designed ripper.