L3400 PTO possible grind?

/ L3400 PTO possible grind? #1  

Nick350

Tractor
Kubota L3301 / Ford 555E
I own a 2008 L3400 that I bought recently.

The PTO spins great and activates without issue and shuts off no problem.

When I have an implement attached the PTO kicks on great, no noises, and runs solid. The odd thing is when I throttle down and push in the clutch I get a grinding noise until I disengage the PTO. Is this a clutch adjustment issue possibly?

Thanks I知 advance for any help

/ L3400 PTO possible grind? #2  
Are you hearing the one way clutch in the tractor's PTO drivetrain? I'm pretty sure my B7100HST had it too. On my B7100HST the noise stopped when I pushed in the clutch.

/ L3400 PTO possible grind? #3  
I own a 2008 L3400 that I bought recently.

The PTO spins great and activates without issue and shuts off no problem.

When I have an implement attached the PTO kicks on great, no noises, and runs solid. The odd thing is when I throttle down and push in the clutch I get a grinding noise until I disengage the PTO. Is this a clutch adjustment issue possibly?

Thanks I知 advance for any help

I am not certain if this scenario applies to your tractor but picture this.

I wide bush hog spinning at full speed has a lot of energy stored up in the spinning of heavy parts.

That stored energy is why it can smash down larger trees.

Your tractor engine, with fuel at a minimum idle setting, will slow down quickly.

The energy in the still rotating bush hog is still present. Eventually it will come to a stop but not as quickly as the tractor engine.

On simpler tractors with simpler pto's, owners were cautioned to be very careful with heavy fast rotating implements connected to their pto's.

The spinning bush hog would propel the tractor forward in spite if the owner trying to stop the tractor moving forward. A scary situation.

At that time, one way clutches, as an external device on a pto shafts, became common. Now the owner could stop the movement of the tractor and the bush hog would gradually slow down.

Now that one way or over running clutch is an internal feature of most tractor pto's for the reason to avoid being pushed forward.

I believe this is why you are hearing a noise.

What implement is attached to the pto when this noise appears?

Dave M7040