L3400 won't start - help, please?

/ L3400 won't start - help, please? #1  

lopezian

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota/L3400
My relatively new (71 hours) Kubota L3400 will not start. The dash lights come on, but when I turn the key all the way there is no click or response at all from the starter. The dash lights stay strong and do not dim when the key is turned.

Earlier in the day the same problem occured and I reached under the seat and manually engaged the seat switch. The tractor started right up. This afternoon the same trick did not help.

I am thinking that one of the interlock switches has gone bad. As far as I know there are three - a seat switch, a PTO engaged switch, and a clutch switch.

I have a multimeter but I am not skilled in its use. Can anyone tell me how to diagnose the problem, or at least eliminate possibilities (like a weak battery, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

/ L3400 won't start - help, please? #2  
Maybe you just typed it wrong - pto needs to be disengaged

If the dash lights don't even flicker then one of the starter disabling switches is likely the reason. Set your multimeter for ohms (or continuity) and unplug the wires to the switch. There should be continuity (zero ohms) at each switch when closed, oposite when open.

/ L3400 won't start - help, please? #3  
Is this a HST or standard trans?

There is an interlock switch for the HST pedal also, it needs to be centered. Try rocking the pedal back and forth to get it centered.

If the lights are on and they don’t dime, or go out, when it fails to start, it’s not a low battery.

/ L3400 won't start - help, please? #4  
Most failures to start with what you have described is from a faulty safety switch or just being out of adjustment.

/ L3400 won't start - help, please? #5  
Mine has a switch for each of the two gear shift levers. Standard Transmission. Both have to be in neutral

/ L3400 won't start - help, please? #6  
If it is standard or Shuttle shift , there is a small micro-switch for the neutral of the Shuttle Shifter that does not make contact sometimes , I had to tweak mine slightly (micro-switch contact) once to get it to work correctly .

/ L3400 won't start - help, please? #7  
Try what RockyRidge said, rock the HST pedal "sloooowly" with the key in the start position...my L2800 used to do this fairly regularly and no it will not fail for the dealer if it is like mine it will get better, I haven't had to rock my pedal in many months.

/ L3400 won't start - help, please? #8  
wushaw said:
Try what RockyRidge said, rock the HST pedal "sloooowly" with the key in the start position...my L2800 used to do this fairly regularly and no it will not fail for the dealer if it is like mine it will get better, I haven't had to rock my pedal in many months.
Same here. I am getting mine replaced at the same time of the new seat.

/ L3400 won't start - help, please? #9  
My pantleg occasionally catches the PTO lever on my L3400. This happens infrequently enough for me to forget each time, and I just sit there with a puzzeled look on my face for about 30 seconds. The first time it happened, it was 10 minutes before I figured it out.

/ L3400 won't start - help, please?
wushaw said:
Sorry that I haven't made a timely update.
Executive summary: it was the HST pedal interlock switch.
Here's the story.

The tractor failed to start on Monday afternoon. As far as I knew at the time there were three interlocks that I had to be concerned with - clutch, PTO, and seat. I probed the clutch and seat switches and they seemed ok. Late in the afternoon a local mechanic stopped by to help. 45 minutes (and $45) later we didn't know much more. The starter worked fine if you directly applied 12v to it. The interlock switches we tested seemed ok, but without a wiring diagram you can only do so much.

Tuesday, because I still suspected it was faulty, I took the seat switch with me to the tractor dealer on the mainland (a 45 minute ferry ride away). They tested the seat switch and confirmed that it was working correctly. In any case, they also told me, the seat switch controlled the fuel flow, not the starter relay, so it could not have been the problem. They also told me the same thing that RockyRidge and others mentioned - the interlock on the HST. While I was there I ordered a service manual - at $85 it is far cheaper than the minimum charge for the dealer to come out and see me.

I got back late on Tuesday, reinstalled the seat switch and tried to start it - no start. Then I followed the advice posted here and slowly rocked the HST pedal back and forward while trying to start. SUCCESS! It started right up.

So thank you all for your help. It is nice to know that I have such a valuable resource as close as my computer.