L3540 - Greasing 'Rear' Front Axle Support

/ L3540 - Greasing 'Rear' Front Axle Support #1  

tmc2318

Bronze Member
Tractor
2007 L3540 HST Cab
I was looking over my tractor and noticed a grease fitting on the front axle support where the front driveshaft passed through to get to the front axle ('Rear' front axle support). This is on the opposite side of the front axle support with the grease 'breather' fitting that is to be removed when greasing. This grease fitting is not clearly shown in the manual so that is why I have missed it and neglected to grease it. I hope I have not worn the bushing, but am wondering how to grease it - is it a sealed assembly and may be damaged by over greasing? Grease it until grease comes out the side? A

Anyone else overlook this fitting?

/ L3540 - Greasing 'Rear' Front Axle Support #2  
I was looking over my tractor and noticed a grease fitting on the front axle support where the front driveshaft passed through to get to the front axle ('Rear' front axle support). This is on the opposite side of the front axle support with the grease 'breather' fitting that is to be removed when greasing. This grease fitting is not clearly shown in the manual so that is why I have missed it and neglected to grease it. I hope I have not worn the bushing, but am wondering how to grease it - is it a sealed assembly and may be damaged by over greasing? Grease it until grease comes out the side? A

Anyone else overlook this fitting?

Nope, its clearly in the manual and is very easy to do once you do it. Pop the breather off and a few shots of good quality grease and your away for a bit longer.

/ L3540 - Greasing 'Rear' Front Axle Support
I'll check it again but I don't see a threaded breather plug on the rear support. Item #150 is a plug on the front but no plug shown on the back :confused:

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 516
   / L3540 - Greasing 'Rear' Front Axle Support #4  
I do not believe that the rear grease fitting in the front axle support has a breather. I just pump grease.
By the way, I missed it too on my l3830 and I greased it after 200 hr. I felt bad for two months.

/ L3540 - Greasing 'Rear' Front Axle Support #5  
Hate to revive an old thread but was greasing my new 3240 this morning and noticed the same thing. It's not in the manual. I pumped about 28 pumps into it and began wondering where all that grease was going so I just stopped. Any ideas?

Edit: Guessing this is something to do with the front differential (4wd) shaft?

/ L3540 - Greasing 'Rear' Front Axle Support #6  
Same issue on my 2009 L3940??? Philip.

/ L3540 - Greasing 'Rear' Front Axle Support #7  
I was told by the dealer that the " extra" grease ends up in the front axle. The service shop guys told me 5 pumps and stop. Theybalsonsaid not to worry about the extra grease.

/ L3540 - Greasing 'Rear' Front Axle Support #8  
After about 6 pumps ours starts coming out of the weep hole that you take the plug out of.

/ L3540 - Greasing 'Rear' Front Axle Support #9  
After about 6 pumps ours starts coming out of the weep hole that you take the plug out of.

That is the front one with the pipe plug. We are talking about the rear one that does not have a pipe plug. Philip.

/ L3540 - Greasing 'Rear' Front Axle Support #10  
Gotcha I was on the wrong end of the stick. That one we just put 5 or 6 pumps in it and let it go.