L3800 vs. B3300

/ L3800 vs. B3300 #1  

vicory

Tractor
Yanmar 220D
Welcome any comments or advice regarding buying a Kubota tractor. Looking at a used L3800 1 yr old with 160 hours, warranty left, loader with quick detach bucket and direct drive transmission. Asking $15,000 vs. a new B3300 with a quick detach loader and hst. Price $16,000.

/ L3800 vs. B3300 #2  
The B is a smaller and lighter tractor than the L. The B will not lift as much on the loader or 3 point hitch. The quick attach on the loader is very nice. If you buy a new tractor you know you are not buying something that has been abused. Make sure the L3800 does not have a jerky hitch. What do you mean by direct drive trans? Gear drive? A new L3800 is probably around 18K and less if you pay cash and get the rebate.

/ L3800 vs. B3300 #3  
I've bought 17 Kubota tractors. Almost all models of the BXs, several Bs and one L. Of those 17 Kubotas one was a gear drive, a B2320. The B2320 was a great little tractor that I hated because it was gear drive. Will never buy another gear drive tractor unless it's so cheap that I can buy it and then turn around and sell it immediately to make a few bucks.
"Most" buyers buy HST and very few buy a gear drive after driving a HST more than a couple of weeks. Straight row operations probably make very little difference but FEL work is usually HST preferred all the way.
New prices at 0 down and 0% are actually cheaper than cash deals if one has to borrow money to pay for the cash deal. If one has any debt then buy the new at 0% and use any available cash to pay off other interest carrying debt.
If your borrowing the money the new one is cheaper by hundreds if not thousands of dollars. These are both the base utility tractors in that line.

/ L3800 vs. B3300 #4  
I share JOHNTHOMAS' preference for HST transmissions. An HST is much easier to manage, and safer, on hills.

My immediate prior tractor was a purchased-new Kubota B3300SU. Fine tractor, well equipped except for the blasted Three Point Hitch Lower Link Turnbuckles, which, thankfully, are easily replaced with 'Stabilworks' mechs. Easy on fuel. Very precise steering, which I miss. I found the four cylinder engine noise a bit loud at the end of the day. After 400 hours I realized I was pushing this light frame tractor/loader too hard both in terms of safety and longevity, so I sold it and bought current L3560.

L3800 is about 500 pounds heavier than B3300SU. If you are going to plow with a 2-bottom plow, Disc Harrow with pans 20" or 22" in diameter, or use a Box Blade regularly, you will probably find the L3800 a more capable machine because of weight, wider stance and because of greater open area surrounding the Three Point Hitch.

What do you mean by direct drive trans?

STABILWORKS LINK:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeh23Csx1QM

Last edited:
   / L3800 vs. B3300 #5  
A lot depends on what you are going to use the tractor for .

/ L3800 vs. B3300
I appreciate the responses. The L3800 was a gear drive, not direct drive (that was an error trying to type on a tablet & it auto populated & I missed the error). I ruled out the L3800 and I'm on the fence about the B3300HST. Actually the tractor is at Barlow's in JOHNTHOMAS's area. I think I need something a bit more substantial. I have a Yanmar 220D which is a beast but has it's limitations and I'd like power steering and a front loader. I only have 5 acres myself but due to health issues have started taking care of my in-laws 27 acres. I finish mow, bush hog, pull a trailer with square bales of hay (may go to some round bales in future) and grade a couple of drive ways. If I get the bucket would remove silt from creek bed and clear water way to culverts. I think if I bought the B3300 I"d be like Jeff9366 and find it was to small for my needs. A neighbor has a L3200, with 262 hours and a front quick connect loader, filled R1 tires and a ballast box. It will be out of warranty soon but is a nice tractor, well taken care of and he'll let it go for $12,900. My 5 acres is all hill, I was wanting R4 tires for extra width and slightly lower height but I'm leaning towards the L3200 now as the price seems very reasonable and the tractor is in excellent condition.

/ L3800 vs. B3300 #7  
The tractor is in exc. cond. , sounds like a winner to me .

/ L3800 vs. B3300 #8  
A neighbor has a L3200, with 262 hours and a front quick connect loader, filled R1 tires and a ballast box. It will be out of warranty soon but is a nice tractor, well taken care of and he'll let it go for $12,900. My 5 acres is all hill, I was wanting R4 tires for extra width and slightly lower height but I'm leaning towards the L3200 now as the price seems very reasonable and the tractor is in excellent condition.

$13,000 is a very good price for an 'L' with 262 hours and no mystery about its past. Go for it.

Last edited:
   / L3800 vs. B3300
Here's a picture, not the best photo, the paint is still pretty nice, just wear on the foot rest, more so on the HST side but I would think that would be expected.

Attachments

• Kubota L3200.jpg
    Kubota L3200.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 373
   / L3800 vs. B3300 #10  
It looks like the rear wheels are out as wide as they can go so it is probably as stable as a tractor with R4's.