L3901 vs. MX4800 Advice Please

/ L3901 vs. MX4800 Advice Please #1  

Bubblehead751

Tractor
John Deere 318
Advice Please.

I have to ask. How is getting in and out of the L3901?

My wife and I found it really awkward getting in and out of the gear drive L3901. Is that something we'll get used too or am I going to feel like I'm going to fall every time. We found it much easier to get in and out of the L4701. We are considering the L4701 or MX4800 just for the larger cockpit with the bonus of having better mowing capability.

I'm new to all of this land and tractor stuff. I bought 42 acres that is about 5-10 wetland, 10 field of varying grade, 2 of home/grass/drive, and the rest woods. I figured the 3901 would be a good mid range tractor to cover all of that. Not too big, not too small.

Right now I'll be doing snow and debris removal. I will want to take on the brush cutting of the fields, some trail construction and some small garden work on top of the snow removal. Once the junk and debris is done that task will likely become fallen tree removal and brush clearing.

All advice is welcome.

/ L3901 vs. MX4800 Advice Please #2  
I purchased the MX5800
I ordered the MX4800 over the L4701 because I will be doing no grass mowing with it and more utility work.
After I ordered the MX4800 I change my mind and upgraded for the extra HP
The MX4800 will have a bit more Lard in its back end for backhoe and dirt work than the L4701 will have and the Hydro. Pump pumps more GPM so operating a Front Loader or and Back implements that require Hydro. Flow will operated a bit quicker than the L4701 will.

I have absolutely no problems getting in or out of my MX. Lots of Room and I have never felt closed in when sitting in it to work. I can even turn around and do minor operations of my Backhoe while still sitting in the drivers seat.

Good Luck with what you choose to buy

/ L3901 vs. MX4800 Advice Please #3  
I had a L3200 (same as a L3301 minus emissions) & upgraded to L4060hstc for the cab & a few more bells & whistles. Only an extra 8hp, but the new machine will do way more work, mostly because of the weight. The heavier the machine the more it will lift & the more traction it will have, even if it's less hp than a smaller machine. The L3200 was fine for projects on our 5 acres. But became a little anemic for some of the side jobs. Again, I mostly upgraded for the cab, not power. The L4060 actually has less power per ton than the L3200 had because its double the weight. It mowed fine, but its nicer to be able to bust out a 5 acre mowing job in an evening instead of 2.

Just based on 40 acres you may want to think about the bigger machine. Especially if you are plowing snow. My L3200 had issues pushing or even driving through heavy wet snow. The new machine pushed a bigger balance through deeper wet snow last week than the L3200 could have driven through.

I tripped over the HST tredal a few times on the L3200, especially with snow boots on. But never really had any issues. I'd expect a gear shift knob in the middle of the operator station would have made it much more annoying. My wife hates climbing up into the cab on the L4060, although she wasn't a huge fan of climbing on the 3200 either.

/ L3901 vs. MX4800 Advice Please #4  
I have a L3901DT and most of the time I will put it in 1st or 3rd when I get off the tractor. I have had my tractor for four years now and I hardly have any problems getting off now. I'm 6' with long legs.

I use my tractor a lot for cutting firewood, mostly moving 60" logs from where I fell the tree to my shed to block the logs up and split them. I use a set of pallet fork to move the logs.

I also use the tractor to maintain my 2/10 of a mile driveway and almost a mile of private road that I share with others.

/ L3901 vs. MX4800 Advice Please #5  
I feel the low volume L4701 is an orphan in Kubota's lineup, likely to be discontinued in the indefinite future. Only larger Kubota dealers maintain an L4701 in inventory. Odds are resale on an L3901 or MX series tractor will recoup you a higher percentage of your purchase price than a relatively unknown L4701.

The MX series are high volume and share many components within the series. Kubota strives to have common parts in model lines, which pleases Kubota dealers too. Every Kubota dealer I visit has multiple MX tractors in inventory.

The 'standard' L series and the MX series are both 'economy' model tractors. The functional difference is 1,000 pounds weight. (L3901 = 2,778 pounds, MX4800 = 3,729 pounds) MX has larger wheels/tires, more robust front axle and transmission case. MX Loaders have greater lift capacity than standard L series Loaders. The MX series has a considerably more spacious operating station relative to L3901.

I'm new to all of this land and tractor stuff.
I bought 42 acres that is about 5-10 wetland, 10 field of varying grade, 2 of home/grass/drive, and the rest woods. I figured the 3901 would be a good mid range tractor to cover all of that. Not too big, not too small.

Right now I'll be doing snow and debris removal. I will want to take on the brush cutting of the fields, some trail construction and some small garden work on top of the snow removal. Once the junk and debris is done that task will likely become fallen tree removal and brush clearing.

If your property is flat, either the L3901 or MX4800 will serve. The MX will get work done faster.
If you will work slopes, the MX4800 will be much more stable with its greater weight and wider wheel stance. Most neophyte owners of tractors are surprised how unstable tractors feel on anything but level ground. (Here is where your location is helpful to respondents.)
Safety first.

The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers. Heavier tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Heavier tractors are constructed on larger frames and longer wheelbases. Heavier tractors are built with thicker steel to withstand greater stress. Heavier tractors have larger diameter wheels/tires, increasing ground clearance. Heavier tractors with large diameter wheels/tires have more tractive power pulling ground contact implements, pushing a loader bucket into dirt and pushing snow. Larger wheels and tires permit heavier tractors to bridge holes, ruts and tree debris with less operator perturbation.

When considering a new tractor purchase, bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second; rear ballast third.

All three Kubota models you are considering will fit in a residential garage with an 84" header, with the ROPS folded.

VIDEOS: Kubota Standard L-Series. L25�1 L33�1 L39�1 L47�1 features and operation. - YouTube

Kubota MX series walk around and features by Messicks. | MX48�� MX52�� MX58�� - YouTube

PHOTOS: My Kubota L3560 has bare tractor weight of 3,700 pounds. Is this the type of work you need to do?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_192.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_192.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 645
  • fullsizeoutput_196.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_196.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 284
  • fullsizeoutput_18d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_18d.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 273
  • fullsizeoutput_194.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_194.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 768
  • DSC00025.jpg
    DSC00025.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 668
  • DSC00532.JPG
    DSC00532.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 218
  • DSC00420.jpg
    DSC00420.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 431
  • DSC00377.jpg
    DSC00377.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 289
  • DSC00378.jpg
    DSC00378.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 188
  • DSC00382.jpg
    DSC00382.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 286
Last edited:
   / L3901 vs. MX4800 Advice Please #6  
You could get a fabrication shop to make you a different step. Make sure you demo and test any tractor you are considering (test the MX if you havent yet). On 40 is acres with the tasks you mention the MX seems like a great option. That said if cost is a major consideration the L series will get the job done.

/ L3901 vs. MX4800 Advice Please #7  
Can't say I have issues getting in/out of the smaller L models (I have an L3200, same basic setup as L3901 except for engine). But there are other tractors that have far better access and may even have a flat floor. The L models have more of a classic farm tractor configuration with the hump in the middle and tight foot space. Not the most ergonomic. Still, access hasn't been an issue for me, and I'm tall with large feet.

That said, I think size and HP requirements for your land size should drive you to a larger tractor, whether L4701 or MX. Last time I looked at the L4701 I was impressed with the features and capabilities. It has some features that the smaller L models don't get.

/ L3901 vs. MX4800 Advice Please #8  
jeff9366, you have L4707, are you talking about the L4701?

/ L3901 vs. MX4800 Advice Please #9  
Buy big enough or bigger:)

/ L3901 vs. MX4800 Advice Please
I live north of Scranton, PA. Yep, I’m on a hillside too. I can work up and down the hill in most places, a lot of the woods are too steep. About a third is a very shallow grade.

I’m usually a less is more person. Seems size and really matter here though.

Thanks for all the advice.