L4240, l4740, l5040 EGR?

/ L4240, l4740, l5040 EGR? #1  

North to Alaska

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 4520r
What year did Kubota start using the EGR valve in these models? Or did did they have it for all years? I am looking at purchasing something in this range in the next year or two. I want to purchase used but not too old. I also want to keep the emissions standards as simple as possible.
I believe that the m9540 did not have EGR valves in the 1st couple of years?
Thank you!

P.S. it is for a berry farm so I definitely want to keep it under 6ft in width. Will also use it for snow plowing and some other utility farm work. It's main purpose will be tilling, side tilling, pulling a berry picker, cutting and bailing between rows, etc.

/ L4240, l4740, l5040 EGR? #2  
My L4060 with R4s is set to a 72" track. Might be 73.5" or so with the sidewall bulge. I think it will go a few inches narrower & know it will go a bit wider. Happy with the stability/manuverability/width compromise. Even though it's a decent bit taller than my 60" track L3200 it's a lot more stable.

Doesn't help with your issue, but does relate to your P.S.

/ L4240, l4740, l5040 EGR?
My L4060 with R4s is set to a 72" track. Might be 73.5" or so with the sidewall bulge. I think it will go a few inches narrower & know it will go a bit wider. Happy with the stability/manuverability/width compromise. Even though it's a decent bit taller than my 60" track L3200 it's a lot more stable.

Doesn't help with your issue, but does relate to your P.S.
Thanks for the info.
I am trying to keep it to 60" to 65" range. Smaller width = more rows. Plus pollination between rows.
Also want a 40 -50 hp range for the implements I will use. Strongly looking at the l5040 since it have either a class 1 or 2 hitch. Might be handy if I have a larger tractor for other crops.

/ L4240, l4740, l5040 EGR? #4  
I think the 40's came with EGR starting in 2007. It is very easy to disable the egr and not a a big job to completely remove.

/ L4240, l4740, l5040 EGR? #5  
I think the 40's came with EGR starting in 2007. It is very easy to disable the egr and not a a big job to completely remove.

That's what I remember too. Our M59 uses the same engine as the L4740 and 5040. It came out at the same time, in 2007/8 and Kubota literature advertised that their new EGR system made their engines comply with the Tier IV Interim Emission Regulations. OK, I just looked up the regs for under 75 hp engines and the time for Tier IV Interim Regs was 2007 to 2015. And I believe that is also when Kubota used EGR valves to meet those regs.
https://www.mtu-online.com/uploads/tx_templavoila/WhitePaper_Tier4i_and_Tier4_02.pdf

EGR valves are part of making engine emissions meet the Tier IV regulations. But they aren't any advantage for for engines, and it's debatable whether they are any real advantage to the air we breath. In my opinion, EGR valves were designed as an inexpensive way to take advantage of a loophole in the emission regulations.

Like Kuboman says, EGRs are easy to disable or remove.
rScotty

/ L4240, l4740, l5040 EGR?
Thanks guys!
I can live with the egr and possibly remove it someday.
Definitely want to stay away from the def.

/ L4240, l4740, l5040 EGR? #7  
Pulling one rubber hose will disable the egr. Its a bit more involved to remove. I wanted it off because I didn't like the idea of the cooler possibly leaking but if all you want to do is stop the engine from eating it's own poo then it is just a matter of pulling off a 1/8" rubber line.

/ L4240, l4740, l5040 EGR? #8  
Thanks for the info.
I am trying to keep it to 60" to 65" range. Smaller width = more rows. Plus pollination between rows.
Also want a 40 -50 hp range for the implements I will use. Strongly looking at the l5040 since it have either a class 1 or 2 hitch. Might be handy if I have a larger tractor for other crops.
I'm not sure how skinny the Grands can get. I want to say 68", but am not sure. Rims on the Grands are adjustable for R1 & R4 tires. I'd assume R1s are going to give you a tighter minimum track.

/ L4240, l4740, l5040 EGR? #9  
Where exactly is the EGR located on these models?

What I've done before asking the question above.

Referenced Kubota's illustrated parts list for a L4740-3 Cab and couldn't find where an EGR valve is show. Expected it to be located in the exhaust manifold, but don't see it.

Also searched in Messick's parts list for L4740-3 cab using EGR or Exhaust as key words and it did not turn up anything.

I'm really curious where it is located.

Thanks

/ L4240, l4740, l5040 EGR? #10  
Have an MX. New in 2011. Not sure how narrow it can be set, I desired a wide stance. I have EGR, no desire to disconnect EGR , has no visible impact upon operation. I have an aggressive oil change schedule, to combat any contamination from exhaust gasses. 42.5 hp at pto.