L4310 Sloppy steering

/ L4310 Sloppy steering #1  

hoffmtc

Tractor
Kubota L4310 HST 4WD
I have been doing a lot FEL work this past fall, and now noticing that the steering has become very loose. Like it takes 1/2 turn of the steering wheel before the wheels start moving in either direction. I don't feel any binding or difficulty in steering. I didn't have time to dig into it last night, but I did raise the front axle of the tractor and there is huge play in the L/R movement of the wheels/tie rods/pitman arm.

Is this indicative of the steering cylinder or the steering controller box?

/ L4310 Sloppy steering
true, but up on the jack I can see the tie rods AND pitman arm moving with tons of play, all as one.

/ L4310 Sloppy steering #4  
I don't know how your cylinder is hooked to the piston but maybe something is coming loose internally or air in the hydraulics.

components are so heavy it is sometimes hard to see where the play is. messicks parts catalogues are good. if it is like my 4740 the steering cylinder is in the hydraulic section not the steering section.

/ L4310 Sloppy steering #5  
there are also u joints in the steering shaft (atleast on my 4740). Are you wiggling the tire and noticing movement or are you wiggling the steering wheel.

/ L4310 Sloppy steering
I started noticing while driving, moving the steering wheel L/R and the front wheels not moving in either direction. About a 1/2 turn of the steering wheel before the front wheels would move. That's what got me to raise up the front end. With the front axle raised, I could grab the front tires and move them and I see all the play on the Pitman

/ L4310 Sloppy steering #7  
Pretty sure the L4310 has steering like the L48. For wandering left and right the WSM says start engine and turn the steering full stroke both ways a few times to work any air out of the system - air can get sucked into the pump if oil level gets low.

/ L4310 Sloppy steering
thanks I'll give that a whirl first

/ L4310 Sloppy steering
Reporting back, I did exercise the steering full left, and then to full right. I repeated that 4-5 times. That did help! It greatly reduced the amount of free play in the steering. The weird thing I noticed now is that the brodie knob isn't in the same place for straight forward driving. Used to be at 6 o'clock position. Now it is around 10 o'clock for straight forward.

I know it's hydrostatic steering, but the knob position has never changed up to this point. I don't see any leaks or fluid on the floor.

Last edited:
   / L4310 Sloppy steering #10  
Pretty sure that without a geared steering box the wheel position at rest is free to float.

Last edited: