L4400 or L45

/ L4400 or L45 #1  

Kyle241

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Wow, I just cannot make a decision. I have been looking long and hard at the L45 however the price is intimidating. So I have looked at the L4400 and it's a really nice tractor. I was thinking of a package with loader and backhoe so that while it's similar to the L45, it's not the same machine. These are what I plan to do with the machine:

- snowblow driveway
- collect firewood
- small crop preparation
- drainage ditches
- stump removal
- pond maintenance
- trail building

I am also considering starting my own company where I locally perform backhoe/landscaping work as there is a large demand for this around here. This idea makes me lean more towards the L45 and hopefully these jobs could help pay for the extra cost of the machine. However the issue is the L45 is about $10,000 more that the L4400 package. I know the L4400 would do a nice job on our property but I don't think it would be good to start a small excavation/landscaping company with. My current little tank, the B20, has served me well and has done everything I have asked of it but I really would like to upgrade....I just don't know what to do.

Has anyone used a non-commercial tractor for the type of commercial work I am referring to? How did your machine fair?

Tks.

/ L4400 or L45 #2  
Doesn't answer your question but if you are going to do commercial BH work you'd be better off with a machine dedicated to BH work.

A BH stuck on the rear of a regular tractor will work but it will not do the jobs as effectively or efficiently. Go with the L45. You won't regret it.

/ L4400 or L45 #3  
A BH stuck on the rear of a regular tractor will work but it will not do the jobs as effectively or efficiently. Go with the L45. You won't regret it.

I agree. But if your prospective excavating/landscaping jobs only entail a little BH work and more of other things like mulching, grading, etc, then save your money.

If you forsee a LOT of BH usage, that 10k will probabally be money well spent for a much more capable TLB package.

/ L4400 or L45 #4  
The L-45 has about 10 gpm more on the hydraulics a big advantage for getting the work done! Time is money when work has to be done!

/ L4400 or L45 #5  
Just thinking out of the box a little here... have you looked to see if there are any used L39's or L48's around? If you could locate one in decent condition, you might keep your costs down while your business gets started (always a good idea with any new business) and still move up from your trusty old B20. If your new business has lots of work, you have the machine for the job and if it's kinda slow getting off the ground, you're not locked into a lot of debt you don't want to carry. Once your business is on its feet, you could go for the L45.

/ L4400 or L45
Just thinking out of the box a little here... have you looked to see if there are any used L39's or L48's around? If you could locate one in decent condition, you might keep your costs down while your business gets started (always a good idea with any new business) and still move up from your trusty old B20. If your new business has lots of work, you have the machine for the job and if it's kinda slow getting off the ground, you're not locked into a lot of debt you don't want to carry. Once your business is on its feet, you could go for the L45.

Yes that is a good point. I have looked around a bit and there is one available (L48) however I have not gone to that dealer to investigate because it is so far away (3hrs). I agree that picking up too much debt up front while building a business is not a good thing, it's just hard to find a good L39 or L48 in my neck of the woods.

/ L4400 or L45 #7  
Yes that is a good point. I have looked around a bit and there is one available (L48) however I have not gone to that dealer to investigate because it is so far away (3hrs). I agree that picking up too much debt up front while building a business is not a good thing, it's just hard to find a good L39 or L48 in my neck of the woods.

Others will disagree, but the L48 is not really an "all-around" machine. It is a great BH and loader but the tractor part can be a disappointment in some applications.

Try searching TBN for "L48" or "L48 transmission" and see what comes up. The L45 is apparently a different design although I have no personal experience with it.

/ L4400 or L45 #8  
If the L series TLB's are built in a similar manner to the B series, then you are mostly gaining performance in the attachments, not the tractor (compared to the standard models.)

I own a B3200 and have used many B21's and B26's and the tractor part of them are basically identical. Same transmission, axles, tires/wheels, 3pt & PTO (in common with the B3030, not mine) but with a smaller engine.

They do use a stronger and larger hoe and loader on the TLB's along with a stouter sub frame. With that said, I prefer my B3200 for loader work over the B26, the B26 just seems way under powered. I use my tractor commercially and it has held up great, instead of a backhoe for my B3200 I'll go the mini-excavator route when $$$ permits.

I know you asked about the L-series, but maybe this comparison will be of some value to you. I think the standard tractors are more than capable of handling moderate commercial work, the ONLY time I would opt for the industrial TLB version would be for backhoe use only. For any sort of farming as you mentioned I think you would be happier with the L4400 with a sub-frame mounted Kubota hoe. Even used for commercial duty as a backhoe I seriously doubt it would give you any trouble (just a little less capacity).

Last edited:
   / L4400 or L45 #9  
If the L series TLB's are built in a similar manner to the B series, then you are mostly gaining performance in the attachments, not the tractor (compared to the standard models.)

I own a B3200 and have used many B21's and B26's and the tractor part of them are basically identical. Same transmission, axles, tires/wheels, 3pt & PTO (in common with the B3030, not mine) but with a smaller engine.

They do use a stronger and larger hoe and loader on the TLB's along with a stouter sub frame. With that said, I prefer my B3200 for loader work over the B26, the B26 just seems way under powered. I use my tractor commercially and it has held up great, instead of a backhoe for my B3200 I'll go the mini-excavator route when $$$ permits.

I know you asked about the B-series, but maybe this comparison will be of some value to you. I think the standard tractors are more than capable of handling moderate commercial work, the ONLY time I would opt for the industrial TLB version would be for backhoe use only. For any sort of farming as you mentioned I think you would be happier with the L4400 with a sub-frame mounted Kubota hoe. Even used for commercial duty as a backhoe I seriously doubt it would give you any trouble (just a little less capacity).

I think in the case of the L45, the basic tractor itself is a closer comparison to the Grand L4240, Not the L4400. The 4240 is a built a bit heavier with a little stronger loader and 3PH performance. And probabally a little beefier frame and axles. But I could be wrong.

So in the OP's case, If he were comparing the 4240 to the L45 it would be a little closer match. But if he did that, the added cost of the grand L's would probabally push the price near what the L45 would cost.

/ L4400 or L45 #10  
I considered L39s and L45s for nearly 9 months. In my search I came across a new M59 for the same price as the L45. It was sitting on the dealers lot for a year++ so he had priced it to sell. Amazing machine. More manuverable on the farm than the JD410 we have an certainly as effective stumbing, trenching, chipping, shredding, etc. I didn't say as powerful but certainly more then enough power to do the work. Given a choice anyone on the farm would choose the M59 to operate. We filled the tires with beat juice and now use it to plow snow.. no chains necessary so far.