L48

/ L48 #1  

ecoslik

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 HST with LA854 loader and QA, top and tilt, 1 front and 3 rear remotes, foamed rear tires
Since writing my first post, I have found several well priced L48 tractors (TLB). I could make do without a backhoe and go the route of a Grand L5740 or L5240, but I am inclined to justify a TLB. I want the M59 for the loader capacity (probably overkill for what I need), but am not likely to justify the extra $$ versus what I might pay for a used L48 (100-600 hours) or Grand L.

Would the L48 perform well enough to give me "that smile?"

Would I regret not having the capacity of the much higher rated loaders of the M8540 or M59?

Would the L48 PTO (using implements) function as well or better as the PTO of other tractor choices? I don't think that I understand the difference between the "continuous running" versus "live independent" PTOs. Is the 37.5 hp of the L48 PTO sufficient?

I wrote a previous thread about "Turbo Charged Engines - Avoid or Buy?." In that thread, I stated that I am wanting to make my first tractor purchase. I described my initial preferences as M59 (maybe oo heavy) or Grand L5240-L5740, plus few other tractors.

This will only be used personally versus commercially. Both my wife and I would like to use the tractor that we purchase. We will NOT be using this to maintain the lawn near the house. With this purchase, we plan to maintain/mow/rake pasture, perhaps hay; definitely box grading the horse riding arena; perhaps rototilling riding arena and perhaps gardens; various construction projects (moving dirt, grading, material handling); auger for fence posts and building column footings; perhaps dig a pool; clean 2 creek beds of washed out deadwood, maintaining 3 small (40'x60') ponds, partially clear and improve 3 acre area (heavy trees and undergrowth) for grasses to serve as tertiary pasture (small animals or maybe extra for horses), managing piles of manure and larger piles of tree trimmings and downed trees; plant some trees (visual barrier near ROW).

Based on this list, implements might include: loader, backhoe, box blade, rototiller, cultivator, brush-hog, broadcast spreader, rake, pallet forks, bale spear, grapple, etc.

Thoughts?

Appreciatively,
Erik

/ L48 #2  
The L48 will do all of your needs and more. The L5740 is not comparible, 2 different classes of machines. The M59 is nice, a little pricy if you are comparing a well priced L48. The 8540 is way too big to compare as well, especially hydro with loader. Check out my posts over the years RE L48s, I was so happy with the machine I bought 2.

/ L48 #3  
Erik, the L48 is a really fine machine. It has enough PTO power to run a 6' rotary mower which will be the most taxing PTO implement you would most likely use. It isn't going to have the power for hay baling IMO. It is designed as a TLB so it will do the digging and dirt moving projects better than the Lxx40 tractor you are considering.

The L48 does not have a removable loader like the Lxx40's if that is important to you for mowing and arena work. The one complaint some have mentioned is the gearing of the range selector. Being designed as a TLB high range is pretty much a transport gear and not very functional for general work. Medium range is your most used working range and some felt it was too slow for their needs.

The TLB series are built with a really beefy integrated frame system for the FEL and backhoe. Much stronger than a Grand L with a backhoe added.

MarkV

/ L48 #4  
I would recommend the L48 as a backhoe but that is about it. It was designed to do that job quite well. The other tasks can be done but not without some disappointment and second thoughts.

The transmission gearing is the biggest problem but also the weight to HP issue is apparent. Even the loader function is a bit strained when using the huge bucket. Stalling the tractor is all too common.

All of the other functions you list would be better performed with a tractor designed to be more versatile. An L 5740 would be a better overall machine if a backhoe attachment would only be used occasionally.

My wife can drive the HST on the L48 easily so that will not be a problem.

Then there are the availability and price issues that may influence your decision.

/ L48 #5  
I disagree that the L48 is backhoe only, other valid points, but the machine is dedictaed for dirtwork and that includes the loader. The bucket is the same as the L series and is not huge in any means. BTW, I have never stalled my L48s during normal operating, something must be wrong with yours. Drive a L40 series, then drive the L48 and see for yourself. A L5740 seems about 1/2 of the L48 for most serious operators IMO.

/ L48
I appreciate all of the well thought opinions.

Since my question(s) and details are just different enough than the previous threads ... and the tractor and all the implements are such a big purchase ... I appreciate everyone adding their $0.02 ... thanks for helping me think this through.

-Erik :thumbsup:

/ L48 #7  
I disagree that the L48 is backhoe only, other valid points, but the machine is dedictaed for dirtwork and that includes the loader. The bucket is the same as the L series and is not huge in any means. BTW, I have never stalled my L48s during normal operating, something must be wrong with yours. Drive a L40 series, then drive the L48 and see for yourself. A L5740 seems about 1/2 of the L48 for most serious operators IMO.

Not to start a tiff, but your affection for the L48 is known and well documented.

My opinion and observations of the L48 are based on operation several tractors of differing sizes and HP performing a variety of functions.

My conclusion - the L48 is not capable as an all-around tractor. Will it do the jobs? - sure, but the OP asked will it give him "the smile" using implements other than as a backhoe. My opinion is that it will not.

/ L48 #8  
I put 700 hours on my 48 and did many different jobs with it,. IT can do anything you want, only difference is, the medium speed was a tad to slow,, especially when I was hog mowing the fields.. The slow medium speed is about all, other than climbing to put fuel in that I could come up with for comnplaints.,. I understand the new HST is much better,, great machine, in the future, depending if things go the way I think they will, I will get a M59...

/ L48 #9  
Erik, I've got 4 tractors right now, and we have had tractors on our small 20 acre hilly acreage for 40 years now. We don't farm...just garden and have animals. Most of the work is dirt road, orchard, a year round creek, fencing, post holes, moving big heavy things, digging holes and ditches...just general work, but not crops. After making due with used compact and converted ag tractors all my life, my wife said it was time we should get a brand new tractor set up the way we wanted it. A machine good for summer and winter. Pick the one we wanted and find a way to afford it. We spent all summer at every dealer within a hundred miles. From compacts, converted ags, all the way up to the case and cats. Frankly, the Kubota brand was nowhere near the top of my list.
Well, I could go on but we ended up with the M59 Kubota. It's been two years now. it has become our favorite machine because it is so handy. The strength is way more than I expected and we've had to use it all. We haven't found a job it wouldn't do, it's stable, dependable, and strong enough to do it all. Frankly, I'm glad I didn't go any smaller - it would have been too small. And we haven't needed larger. awesome. .
rScotty

/ L48 #10  
I would recommend the L48 as a backhoe but that is about it. It was designed to do that job quite well. The other tasks can be done but not without some disappointment and second thoughts.

The transmission gearing is the biggest problem but also the weight to HP issue is apparent. Even the loader function is a bit strained when using the huge bucket. Stalling the tractor is all too common.

All of the other functions you list would be better performed with a tractor designed to be more versatile. An L 5740 would be a better overall machine if a backhoe attachment would only be used occasionally.

My wife can drive the HST on the L48 easily so that will not be a problem.

Then there are the availability and price issues that may influence your decision.

I agree. The L48 is a good backhoe and box scraper type tractor. The loader is strong but as mentioned, its biggest flaw is the transmission range. It is simply put, horrible at mowing. The speeds are impossible to use effectively. Just way to slow in low and medium range and high range is a dog on the slightest incline.