L5240 crank case pressure

/ L5240 crank case pressure #1  

mikeg135

changing the oil today as part of the standard spring maintenance and the crank case oil did not drain very well unless I had the oil fill cap off. I could hear air sucking past the oil fill cap as I was lifting it off.....then once I had the cap off, the oil drained out quickly as expected.

after changing the oil filter and replacing the oil, I started it and did feel some blow by coming out of the oil fill cap.

My first thought was a mud dobber plugged the breather line but I saw on L5240, the valve cover breather line goes back into the intake between the turbo and air filter. there is an metal mesh screen under that breather line...is it possible its clogged causing this? I don't think building and holding crank case pressure is normal for this engine.

any thoughts?

/ L5240 crank case pressure #2  
My Kubota's drain slow unless I remove the dipstick.
Same as removing the fill cap.
Most likely,you have no problem.
Good Luck!

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / L5240 crank case pressure #3  
My Kubota's drain slow unless I remove the dipstick.
Same as removing the fill cap.
Most likely,you have no problem.
Good Luck!
Mine too. Agree. However the blow-by you feel may be worth a little investigation. How many hours on the engine? The "blow-by" you feel at the filler cap would normally be a pulsating pressure as the pistons go up and down but not a constant or very high pressure. If low hours engine, it is pretty unlikely anything is wrong. If it is a higher hour engine (say over 3000 hours which is not a magic number...) then I would run a compression test on the cylinders. But I don't think anything you reported so far is reason for alarm.

/ L5240 crank case pressure
I only have 500 hours on the engine. its lightly used throughout the year for food plots twice a year and scraping the road in front of my house. But with that I still change the oil every Spring. I just don't recall the oil drain process need to have the dipstick or filler cap open. but if you guys are reporting the same thing that puts my mind at ease.

After looking at the part schematics I was wonder if it was worth opening up and checking that the valve breather (part # 1G911-05203) to make sure it wasn't stuck.

/ L5240 crank case pressure #5  
changing the oil today as part of the standard spring maintenance and the crank case oil did not drain very well unless I had the oil fill cap off. I could hear air sucking past the oil fill cap as I was lifting it off.....then once I had the cap off, the oil drained out quickly as expected.

after changing the oil filter and replacing the oil, I started it and did feel some blow by coming out of the oil fill cap.

My first thought was a mud dobber plugged the breather line but I saw on L5240, the valve cover breather line goes back into the intake between the turbo and air filter. there is an metal mesh screen under that breather line...is it possible its clogged causing this? I don't think building and holding crank case pressure is normal for this engine.

any thoughts?
Normal on several engines, drains slow until you give in air to drain faster

/ L5240 crank case pressure #6  
I only have 500 hours on the engine. its lightly used throughout the year for food plots twice a year and scraping the road in front of my house. But with that I still change the oil every Spring. I just don't recall the oil drain process need to have the dipstick or filler cap open. but if you guys are reporting the same thing that puts my mind at ease.

After looking at the part schematics I was wonder if it was worth opening up and checking that the valve breather (part # 1G911-05203) to make sure it wasn't stuck.
Yeah, I don't think anything is wrong. I have several Kubotas.

/ L5240 crank case pressure #7  
Using a length of clear PVC plastic tubing to make a manometer , check the crank case pressure at idle . The CAA has caused all sorts of changes we aren't accustomed to and continue to change . Check with the engine manufacturer for a specific pressure .