L5240 fuel filter now leaks

/ L5240 fuel filter now leaks #1  

rfc143

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota 5240
Recently changed fuel filters on my L5240 tractor. Now, no matter how tight I tighten the aluminum ring that holds the plastic bowl, it's leaking. It's been perfect for years.
I took the bowl off again and wiped both the oring on the bowl and the mating surface it goes to, with no effect. Am i not tightening it enough? Using huge channel locks.
Advice most welcome.

/ L5240 fuel filter now leaks #2  
How do the threads look on the nut/aluminum ring?

/ L5240 fuel filter now leaks #3  
I had this happen, did you have both "O" rings in place, I didn't see the one in the middle and mine leaked. #150 below

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 66
   / L5240 fuel filter now leaks #4  
Recently changed fuel filters on my L5240 tractor. Now, no matter how tight I tighten the aluminum ring that holds the plastic bowl, it's leaking. It's been perfect for years.
I took the bowl off again and wiped both the oring on the bowl and the mating surface it goes to, with no effect. Am i not tightening it enough? Using huge channel locks.
Advice most welcome.

Did you buy a new o ring or use the old one for the bowl? The rubber will likely get hard and brittle over time. Might be that it is too hard to seal properly..?

/ L5240 fuel filter now leaks #5  
Pinched o-ring, been there done that. Buy a new o-ring, cheaper than the fuel to go pick it up.

/ L5240 fuel filter now leaks #6  
Sometimes if you over tighten it will bow out and not seal.

/ L5240 fuel filter now leaks #7  
I had trouble with mine on my Iseki Bolens years ago, replaced the whole filter system with one of those little fuel filters for a car. It's the little see through ones, been working for years now and only cost a couple bucks.

/ L5240 fuel filter now leaks
I replaced the big O-ring to no avail, but looking at the exploded filter bowl assembly carefully, I see that there is a spring at the bottom of the bowl that holds the fuel filter up against the top O-ring. That's missing! The dealer says that if the top o-ring is not seated it could also leak (not sure I understand how, and would have to see a cross section of the assembly to understand it, but no matter. I'm cautiously optimistic that if I replace the upper O-ring as well as getting the spring installed, it will work properly.

Well, unfortunately that did not solve the problem. I can’t figure out where the fuel is leaking now it could be the hose coming into the filter from the tank or the hose that goes to the engine.
I’m clamping off each individually and put in white paper towels, beneath to see if I can figure out where it’s coming from.
Hate to spend 80 bucks on a new filter assembly if it’s just a hose fitting.

Well, unfortunately that did not solve the problem. I can’t figure out where the fuel is leaking now it could be the hose coming into the filter from the tank or the hose that goes to the engine.
I’m clamping off each individually and put in white paper towels, beneath to see if I can figure out where it’s coming from.
Hate to spend 80 bucks on a new filter assembly if it’s just a hose fitting.
Ongoing saga: I unbolted the filter assembly and looked at the right angle fitting at the rear of the assembly. It was swiveling, but I can’t understand why they would put a swivel fitting there, and no place else on the assembly.
I think it might be a press fit that came loose
I pushed it in to the housing a bit and so far it does not seem to be leaking, but I think a new assembly is probably in order.