L5740 air conditioner drains clogged.

/ L5740 air conditioner drains clogged. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
Got such great advice on the M7060 issue that I thought I'd ask the following:

Anybody ever had their air conditioner drains clogged? How did you unclog them?

I noticed a small amount of water come out of one of the air conditioning vents (they are in the ceiling of the cab) and my wife complained of a bad smell in the tractor cab. I figured one or both of the air conditioning hoses (there is one on each side of the cab) had become clogged. I used 2 pieces of some thick weedeater string to run up and down the hoses. Got some water out when I did it and things were fine for a month or so.

This weekend I again noticed a bit of water come out of one of the air conditioner vents. I tried my string trick again but didn't get any water out. I did noticed it smelled bad when I pulled it out.

I tried blowing air up the hoses and that didn't seem to solve the issue.

I'm figuring that I'll have to remove the outer roof and attack the problem from above. I've looked at the service manual and spoken with the Service Manager at my local dealer (he is Outstanding!) and know that removing the roof is pretty simple.

Thought I'd post here in case anyone else has had similar experience.

Anybody else had to remove their roof to unstop an A/C drain?

Any other method to try than the weedeater string or blowing air up them?

Thanks.

/ L5740 air conditioner drains clogged. #2  
I put 1/2 gallon water with 1/2 teaspoon laundry detergent in garden sprayer. Set noozle to stream,squirt some up one hose then the other alowing water to run back out. Alternate back and forth until drains are well flushed and rinsed. Finish up with 1 quart water with 1 teaspoon clorox to kill mold and stop odor. If you take time to remove cab and tear into ac,go all the way and wash coils to.

/ L5740 air conditioner drains clogged. #3  
Not a blockage, but a leak. A few weeks after getting my new Kioti I was parked on a moderate slope, front down, while filling the 400 litre spray tank. It was a hot & humid day, and after the tank was filled, as soon as I moved off, a small stream of water started raining down from the ceiling and onto the floor. Probably half a cupful, but enough to flow across the floor mat.

Initially I contacted the dealer about it, who suggested they might come down and remove the roof to see what's going on. Ultimately, I did nothing about it, and it's not happened again. I think the collector tray in the roof space simply overflowed from being parked on the slope for ten/fifteen minutes.

To the OP - if the drain lines are clear, looks like a roof removal might be next. And all the open-station tractor owners are LOL'ing no doubt. :cool:

/ L5740 air conditioner drains clogged.
And all the open-station tractor owners are LOL'ing no doubt. :cool:
Open station owners should laugh at me. After all, everytime a stinging insect buzzes around the glass of my cab, I chuckle a bit and remember my "open station days".

Thanks, OxKoti, for a great suggestion that just may save me from removing the roof.

/ L5740 air conditioner drains clogged. #5  
I wouldn’t blow up the tube, sends the crap a direction you don’t want it to go. I use random chicken feathers for problems like that…occasionally very fresh off a rooster for a good long one:ninja:

/ L5740 air conditioner drains clogged. #6  
that must be one impressive rooster if the tail feathers are long enough to clean the tube from the bottom of the cab to the top where the evaporator is.

/ L5740 air conditioner drains clogged. #7  
I remove my roof every spring before I get into farming and take the top loose on the ac blower and prop it up with a wood block (saves me from removing the heater lines and disturbing the ac evaporator but allows me access to the ac HX. I take a garden sprayer with purple power and water in it and wash down the HX (it's first in line with airflow, heater core is behind it) and rinse with clear water in the sprayer. Do that a couple times and the drain hoses are accessable as well. Do that every spring and change the cabin air filter too. it takes time but the results are amazing. Roof is easy to get off. the longer phillips head screws inside in the headliner secure the roof. Every other one. I Think it's 12 screws and the roof is light but I recommend 2 people to handle it. I'd blow out the underside while the roof is off anyway.

No more musty smell and the ac works much better, so does the heater. The heater air flow comes through the ac no matter what so a clogged ac hx, impedes air flow.

/ L5740 air conditioner drains clogged.
I remove my roof every spring before I get into farming and take the top loose on the ac blower and prop it up with a wood block (saves me from removing the heater lines and disturbing the ac evaporator but allows me access to the ac HX. I take a garden sprayer with purple power and water in it and wash down the HX (it's first in line with airflow, heater core is behind it) and rinse with clear water in the sprayer. Do that a couple times and the drain hoses are accessable as well. Do that every spring and change the cabin air filter too. it takes time but the results are amazing. Roof is easy to get off. the longer phillips head screws inside in the headliner secure the roof. Every other one. I Think it's 12 screws and the roof is light but I recommend 2 people to handle it. I'd blow out the underside while the roof is off anyway.

No more musty smell and the ac works much better, so does the heater. The heater air flow comes through the ac no matter what so a clogged ac hx, impedes air flow.

Really appreciate this, 5030. I think that is going to be my plan. Thanks!

/ L5740 air conditioner drains clogged. #9  
I guess the newer Kubota's, they put the 'works' under the seat (of all places) so it's even harder to access. You have to take the seat out before you can access anything.

Little hint.. When you take the roof off, flip it over upside down on sawhorses and get yourself a roll of foil-bubble-foil 'Reflectix'. They have it at Lowes and line the inside of the roof with it. I cut mine to fit (cuts easily with scissors) and glued it in place with 3M trim adhesive. That really cuts down on the heat under the lid and lets the ac work much better as it gets hot under there.

The other thing you want to do is take all the screws out of the upper blower assembly (but it won't come off but you can (as I said) prop it up enough with a block of wood, to get to the evaporator and clean it. it will take a couple cleanings and the dirty crud will run out the drain hoses under the tractor. When it runs clean, the evaporator is clean.

Do mine every spring and I replace the cabin air filter too. No matter how hot it is, mine will literally freeze you out.

/ L5740 air conditioner drains clogged. #10  
Kubota used Nut Certs in the roof that the screws screw into and on mine, the nut certs cracked the plastic roof where Kubota installed them and I wasn't about to buy a new roof ($1000.00) for a new roof, so I fiber glassed the nut certs in and the cracks they made in the roof. Worked excellent.

You might want to order a new roof gasket, I did. My roof gasket has been deteriorating right along, so I replaced it this spring. My M is a 2004 model btw.

Pictures are before I replaced the gasket. It's just under 100 bucks at the dealer and cone with adhesive on it, pull the backer tape and stick it.

Attachments

• 100_0004 (1).JPG
    100_0004 (1).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 79
  • 100_0002 (1).JPG
    100_0002 (1).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
  • 100_0001 (1).JPG
    100_0001 (1).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
  • 100_0005 (1).JPG
    100_0005 (1).JPG