LabLab Fail

/ LabLab Fail #11  
Eddie we get some fairly cold weather here in S E Ohio, a who friend does a lot of food plots likes something with a lot of rape in it for late year plots. The deer usually don't even start hitting it until it gets frozen. Seems that freezing concentrates the sugars in it and the deer will eat it right down to the dirt. He also mixes in purple top turnips and some brassica. He leases a couple of hundred acres to a group of doctors from N. Carolina who like to come up and bow hunt the late season. Our bow season last until Feb. 2 this year
Bill

/ LabLab Fail
Bud,

I just liked his comment on there. I figured you where from here, but didn't realize Tucker was the dogs name. LOL

Bill,

Thanks. I've tried turnips with fair results. Same thing with them and the cold. Once it freezes out, the deer will start to eat them, but it's never been something that they seem to really go after. I'll see a few tracks and watch a doe stop and eat a few bites as she passes through the plot. I'm not sure if they like them, or it's just another thing to eat along with all the native plants.

Eddie

/ LabLab Fail #13  
When planting a foodplot with something new it might take a year or two for deer to figure out what it is and if they like it. Think back to when you was a kid and your mom put something new on the table, it might take a couple times of her fixing it to figure out if you like it or not.

/ LabLab Fail #14  
You might look at Kale (very cold tolerant) and other types of Brassica...

/ LabLab Fail #15  
TP&W did test in East Texas, I believe somewhere around Henderson, but any way, biologist said a blend of Oats,wheat, arrowleaf clover and Austrian winter peas. Oats and Wheat being the primary.

You can by fancy bags all day long, but most of it wasn't developed for Texas weather. Even mixing small and large seed is not optimal, but people pay millions every year "hopin". Even Lablab is marketed any where some one will pay for it. The bean strain comes from Africa and is mostly grown in the tropics for graze, does good in South Texas too. I have grown it and it went crazy, deer hardly touched it for me. At that price, I can by allot of Oat seed.

Have not found anything easier/ better than oats, wheat in 20 years. Deer always eat oats as long as it doesn't get tough, then just shred off a couple inches.

/ LabLab Fail #16  
East Texas seed(right at home for you) has a wildlife mix,most feed stores will carry it but I mix 100lbs that/50rye/50cow peas/100lbs triple 13 and my plots turn out great. I put it out with big 3pt broadcaster where have good seed cover on ground. The extra 50lbs rye to fill it in and give it the full look and hold the dirt down. I have also done the bow blend and for another guy and it turned out great also. I would suggest doing a summer and fall plot in that red clay and help keep the deer staying on your place. Go bigger on your plot if you can,that whole area in picture. You need any help or equipment let me know..http://www.easttexasseedcompany.com/buttons/rackkingfallbig.gif

Last edited:
   / LabLab Fail #17  
Foreman, you're using the cereal grain rye right? Winter rye isn't hardly palatable to deer.

/ LabLab Fail #18  
Foreman, you're using the cereal grain rye right? Winter rye isn't hardly palatable to deer.
I use Oregen Grown rye
pallets%20of%20rye.jpg

/ LabLab Fail #20  
Rye grass:confused3: good graze for the cows though.

I use a few Rye with my other bags of plot mix, the rest goes on the cattle pastures but there is 30/40 deer eating it out there also...