Lament for the lost fair

/ Lament for the lost fair #1  

Dougeye

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra eMax 20s, Takeuchi TB210R
Since 1868, and every single year up to 2019. That's 151 years, my friends, and it happened every single year through world wars, the great depression, recessions too many to count, the Spanish flu pandemic, and who knows how many assorted other disasters and pestilences. But not this year. All of that couldn't stop it, but covid-19 has.

I'm further into my seventh decade than I care to acknowledge, and for nearly every one of my years, I've attended or participated in the Saanich Fair on Labour Day weekend. (Saanich Fairgrounds- Home of the Saanich Fair - your community space... for all of life's events) So this year my thirteen foot plus sunflower will continue to watch over the corn patch rather than being entered in the tallest sunflower contest, my biggest and most beautiful garlic bulb will be ceremoniously consumed rather than displayed, the 4H kids won't be able to parade their year's efforts in raising their beef, lambs, and pigs, and the city folk won't get their rare opportunity to see where their food comes from and how the farm people live.

The fair has been a big deal around here for tens of thousands of people and for so very many years. But not this year. How very sad.

/ Lament for the lost fair #2  
Sad indeed. Fairs have been going down hill around here since industrialization and giant amusement parks came in.

/ Lament for the lost fair #3  
Yes, we've lost (hopefully just for this year) AGFEST in early April and every regional fair since the pandemic practically shut everything down.

Mind you, some of the smaller ones were on their last legs due to attendance dropping for the ones close to the Big Smokes and (bloody) insurance premiums.

/ Lament for the lost fair #4  
Growing up on a small family farm, I was involved in 4-H. My mother was a 4-H leader and active in the UP State Fair and MSU Extension here in MI. I had many entries in my life in the fair as a youth including a steer project.

Now that we are older, for the past three years my wife and I bid and purchase a swine project at the local county fair. The past two years we purchased them through traditional Thursday night auction with the awards, pageantry and photos we all have known for many years. We buy them also for the pork, so the leanest, fittest ones are usually the grand and reserve champions of their weight class.

This year was completely different, no Fair this year, I don’t have the stats like the OP for our county fair but it has not missed many years if any. The hog, lamb and steer projects went on as planned except for the big finally week. The auction was virtual and used a variety of technologies including a new website, YouTube and the good ole telephone Helpdesk.

The new method gave buyers an ability to review each project, see some of the animal’s home surroundings and see the 4-Her interact with their animal. However, there were no judges, no ribbons, no Grand Champions or Reserve Champions and no official scale for weight.

My wife and I bought two hogs this year and even bid against ourselves on one to bring the price up similar to last year. I hope the process for next year, depending on our new normal, can incorporate some of what we learned this year and reintroduce the pageantry even if it is virtual.

/ Lament for the lost fair #5  
I too have fond memories of our years in 4H with our kids.

We had horses and one of the fond memories was Barn Duty. Each dad had a night assigned where we had guard duty with 2 other dads. One night, one of the dads noticed some movement by the next barn. As we investigated we found it was a one of the exhibitors rabbits! We must have chased and or tried to trick that rabbit for over 2 hours that night (LOL)! Unfortunately, we could not corral that pesky rabbit. Since one of the dads knew the parents of the exhibitor, he had to break the bad news the next morning. Fortunately, the young man took the news well and thanked us for our efforts.

/ Lament for the lost fair #6  
Yes, we've lost (hopefully just for this year) AGFEST in early April and every regional fair since the pandemic practically shut everything down.

Mind you, some of the smaller ones were on their last legs due to attendance dropping for the ones close to the Big Smokes and (bloody) insurance premiums.

In 2014, I attended a farm show in the small town of Walcha, NSW, Australia. It seems that everyone who lived in the town and surrounding area participated in the farm show. There were flower contest, photo contest, animal showing, equipment displays, sheep dog trials, sheep sheering contest, and something for everyone.

They even had a large spreader truck filled with candy that spread the candy in an open area for the children to gather. Oh, and a demolition derby too.

I also remember there was a roped off area which was designated for beer drinking.

It was one of the most wonderful events I have ever attended. Everyone was having fun.

/ Lament for the lost fair #8  
Our fair in north idaho has always drawn large crowds, but has felt somewhat “old news” to me the past few years. Now that they did not have one this year, along with the cancellation of the horse show our club puts on every tear, i may loom forward to it next year. Unless you heed to wear a protective bubble to attend.

/ Lament for the lost fair #9  
Well, there's always this:

Part of which was filmed at the Oklahoma State fairgrounds. There's also a 1945 version out there too.

I used to raise show hogs, and the State Fair was always fun.

/ Lament for the lost fair #10  
I think our state fair is open to participants only this year. Have never went to it.
Use to take my son to the county fair, which was cancelled also, every year then the county changed the vendor that supplied the rides. My son hated it after that. The quality of both the people and equipment were subpar to what the other company provided.