Land Planer Grader & John Deere 670 4WD

/ Land Planer Grader & John Deere 670 4WD #1  

jgoodma1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4060
I've been looking for a not-too-expensive used tractor to maintain my 800' gravel driveway. The driveway is pretty much level all the way with a couple of spots with gentle grades. I've found a low-hours JD 670 4WD that I'm going to look at tomorrow. A lot of the comments in forums I'm reading really are recommending a land plane and after watching some videos, I think a land plane with scarifiers is the implement I need. I have a couple of questions:

1. The JD 470 is 18.5 hp. Is that enough to pull a 4' land plane? The tractor has ag tires on it.

2. I finished building my house a couple of years ago on 11 acres, and am just now getting ready to do some landscaping. I have about 1 acre of yard that I want to groom and get ready for a couple of patios, maybe some turf, and just generally want to get is smooth and ready for whatever we decide to plant. The excavating contractor did a good job of finish grading, but it needs some final smoothing out and grooming. Can I do that sort of work with the land plane? I don't have to move large amounts of dirt around, and if I do have to move dirt, I have a Kubota L48 TLB to do that.

Thanks.

/ Land Planer Grader & John Deere 670 4WD #2  
I do all that with just an 8' landscape rake. Get one with gauge wheels and your driveway, etc. will be perfect. I even pulled the rake with a 2wd Yamaha Timberwolf 4 wheeler on occasion. Lifting the attachment might be an issue. My old 22hp Yanmar had no problems with the same rake.

/ Land Planer Grader & John Deere 670 4WD #3  
Land plane is the way to go. 4’ no worries. They are not all the same. View everything attachments video and decide for yourself. Even ask them what they think.

I got scarifiers but haven’t had to use them. The blades cut well enough.

Sand makes leveling a yard easy.